IGNORED

What are you consuming right now?

Squee

I cooked a Guinea Fowl I got cheap a few days ago. Just made a sandwich from the flesh, warmed in the oven with butter, salt & pepper.

Gonna make stock with the carcass soon and attempt a risotto.

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, how about adding some lemon instead of cinnamon? It should enhance the sweetness of the banana.

Anyway, I just had a terrible lunch at work. I think I'm gonna tell the company lunch program to fuck off.

a can (poured obviously, lol) of Carlsberg Export, it's fucking foul

I've been treating myself to loads of real decent beer lately, that's probably why it tastes as bad as it does....in fact I can't finish it. I feel myself getting an increasing pounding headache with each mouthful.

Edited by beerwolf

I just had some roast chicken, onion+parsley salad, regular salad, pickled chillies, hummus, pita, and the last of the first of two 10L boxes of red wine my da gave me after his recent trip to burgundy.

you should have drank it out of the can. makes it taste better.

heh yeah, I know what you mean. drinking it from a nice glass probably isn't worth the washing-up.

Ate some sliced English cucumber, kalamata olives, and artichoke hearts with homemade hummus over pita for lunch. As far as the hummus goes, the flavor was on point, but it came out too runny in texture. I think I was supposed to use the chunky bits of the tahini rather than the liquid. Oh well, should make for a good salad dressing at least.

Hummus is hard to get right alright, especially the texture (either too runny or too grainy). Thankfully there's a Greek shop close to me that does a nice one.

Mid-day coffee.

I've been into pour-overs lately. Recently got a burr grinder and a decent pour-over kettle with built-in thermometer so I can get OCD about grind size and brewing temps. Love me some coffee science.

Microwaved Kirkland brand beef frank with yellow mustard. I probably don't wanna know what they put into these fuckers but they sure taste good.

Chilled club soda with lime, on the rocks.

The grocery store down the street finally has those nice big fat juicy limes again. I feel like a king squeezing these supple beauties onto my ice cubes.

Mid-day coffee.

I've been into pour-overs lately. Recently got a burr grinder and a decent pour-over kettle with built-in thermometer so I can get OCD about grind size and brewing temps. Love me some coffee science.

Nice, I love pourover but I feel like my game has been failing lately. The sour notes have been getting progressively worse; I probably just need to coarsen the grind. I have a nice burr grinder and a Hario swan neck kettle but I have this shitty thermometer I don't even bother using anymore. I think I'm fucking up something in my process though, I don't think it's the tools. I'm not ruling out the beans, either.

just had some of these korean chicken wings, lush

HH1eDUp.jpg?1

Korean chicken wings, when done right, are imo the best chicken wings around. There used to be a place in my town that had the best I've ever had in my life, but they stopped serving them because it took too long. Whenever I go to Seattle, if I stop by Lynnwood or Federal Way I go to the Korean market and they have this fried chicken chain next door that has pretty good chicken. I got a recommendation from a friend on this place in the International District in Seattle, though, and it was just BAD. Don't go there, it's near that boba tea shop that's always full of bronies.

Microwaved Kirkland brand beef frank with yellow mustard. I probably don't wanna know what they put into these fuckers but they sure taste good.

They are surprisingly good, aren't they? Way better than some of the popular "name" brands. But most kirkland stuff is like that I find, really good quality stuff.

Korean chicken wings, when done right, are imo the best chicken wings around.

What makes them Korean (and why do they take so long to make..?)?

They are surprisingly good, aren't they? Way better than some of the popular "name" brands. But most kirkland stuff is like that I find, really good quality stuff.

Korean chicken wings, when done right, are imo the best chicken wings around.

What makes them Korean (and why do they take so long to make..?)?

Yeah lots of Kirkland stuff is surprisingly good. I haven't tried their liquor yet though.

So, I don't know exactly what it is but the Asian fried chicken I've had seems to be shooting for a thin, really crispy coating that's more about the skin than the breading, especially in the case of bone-in wings, and minimal but flavorful condiments (i.e. salt, pepper, and MSG). In the case of Korean fried chicken in particular, there seems to be a bit of sugar added. Not like a ridiculous amount, we're not talking maple syrup here, but just as a subtle flavor enhancer. Korean varieties also seem to have a slightly thicker coating than most Japanese karaage, and I seem to have a dim memory of hearing that there's a special frying technique, e.g. it's battered once, fried, battered again and refried. Or something like that.

Their liquor is actually really really good. I believe their higher end vodka is actually grey goose (I read somewhere that it is)? Their spiced rum is wicked, and the gin is fairly decent too. I haven't tried their bourbon yet.

Interesting tidbit on the wings, thanks. I'm going to seek some out and try them. I'm a wings guy, really like my chicken wings lol. :beer:

Their liquor is actually really really good. I believe their higher end vodka is actually grey goose (I read somewhere that it is)? Their spiced rum is wicked, and the gin is fairly decent too. I haven't tried their bourbon yet.

Interesting tidbit on the wings, thanks. I'm going to seek some out and try them. I'm a wings guy, really like my chicken wings lol. :beer:

Yeah I was wondering about the bourbon/whiskey. I didn't even think to try the gin, I usually just get Bombay Sapphire but I'll pick some up next time I'm at Costco if I'm in the mood. I do like gin & olives this time of year.

Yeah man, I love wings, I love just about any kind of fried chicken. :beer:

Oh yeah another particularity of Japanese karaage - they often have a little ginger and maybe garlic in the seasoning, and they're also traditionally served with fresh lemon.