IGNORED

What are you consuming right now?

Squee

I'll have to pick your brain for good lamb recipes sometime then. Lamb isn't very common here. Some stores carry it but it's very expensive (on par with or slightly higher than premium beef cuts).

I could probably order some from my butcher though!

I did this a few weeks ago, it was fantastic! Simple but tasty ingredients which is what I prefer, you can google other recipes (Moroccan's know how to do slow cooked lamb very well). But I can recommend this one to get you going.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3400998/Tom-s-winter-wonders-Mustard-glazed-lamb-shoulder.html

I'll have to pick your brain for good lamb recipes sometime then. Lamb isn't very common here. Some stores carry it but it's very expensive (on par with or slightly higher than premium beef cuts).

I could probably order some from my butcher though!

I did this a few weeks ago, it was fantastic! Simple but tasty ingredients which is what I prefer, you can google other recipes (Moroccan's know how to do slow cooked lamb very well). But I can recommend this one to get you going.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3400998/Tom-s-winter-wonders-Mustard-glazed-lamb-shoulder.html

Thank you! I know what I'm having this weekend ;)

My friend posted last night that he had lamb so I'll check with him on where he got it.

another simple and classic lamb recipe is to get a leg, use a small sharp knife to make about 15 1" incisions around it, chop some garlic into little slivers and jam them in the cuts with some rosemary. season and drizzle with olive oil, place in a roasting dish with some sliced onions, bay leaf, thyme, and more garlic for the gravy. whack it in a medium-hot oven for an hour (or less maybe, use a meat thermometer for best results - leg takes less cooking time than shoulder). add some water to the roasting dish for the last 20 mins, and make up a gravy at the end with a glass of red wine and a couple tbsp of roux in the strained roasting juices. serve with mint sauce and roast spuds and roast carrots & parsnips (or any other root veg).

Is lamb like beef, best medium-rare?

you want it a little pink, but not as bloody as a proper steak should be.

Edited by caze

Leftover leg of lamb and roasted potatoes from last night.

We butterflied the meat off the bone and saved the bone for stock/stew. Chucked it into a simple marinade of olive oil, lemon juice, greek oregano, salt, pepper and garlic for 16 hours. Then we seared direct on the weber grill until nice and browned, moved over to the indirect side for 45 minutes while smoking with apple chips that we soaked in pinot noir and garlic.

Lamb can be served rare and IMO offers a better black and blue if it's high quality than most steaks unless one is paying top dollar. Every spring I pig out and cook myself a english pea, shiitake and leek risotto served with rare Frenched rack of lamb and a little port wine redux... classic shit really... It will also make any lady you're courting start thinking of copulating with you. I can guarantee that. Copulation like bunnies. Pair that shit with a napa or sonoma cabernet sauvignon with a strong cherry/berry start, dark finish and medium tannin content.

Edited by Audioblysk

• 2 weeks later...