IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

crank 2 was just as campy and fun as (if not more than) machine girl, which was a bit poorly paced and dragged alot (imo)

although you may render anything i say invalid, as i like jason statham (no homo)

Yeah, I see Machine Girl as more a gore/exploitation flick than an action flick, which I guess Crank is. Also, it helps that there are three fucking HOT chicks in Machine Girl and Crank has Jason Statham...

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caprica 5/10 some interesting threads that weren't developed the scenery and sets looked way too much like a generic city on earth but i guess i shouldn't have been expecting more for such a low budget production. they probably spent most of the $ hiring Erik Stoltz. I preferred the BSG miniseries and show

tokyo fist - goddamn. rough and creative as hell. 9/10

vital - beautiful story but sort of sappy. clean and polished by tsukamoto's standards. horrible music. 6.5/10

suspiria - uh, finally got around to this one. def not my favorite giallo but kinda cool still. 6/10

let the right one in.

superb

aw shit, i thought you said let the right one in and suspiria. but let the right one in was indeed excellent

saw suspiria way back in teh video nasty days 'i spit on your grave, cannibal holocaust that type of thing'

s'all good.

Guest zaphod

the hangover 8/10

really funny. i'm happy zach galifianakis got to shine in this. i'm also happy to see a comedy that isn't part of the judd apatow monopoly.

Guest countchocula

I just picked up the Planet Earth 4-Blue Ray box set released by the BBC and narrated by David Attenborough as it was meant to be. Watching it in 1080p is seriously beyond words. 11 bajillion/10

Guest philia

tokyo gore police - 7/10

for a trashy b-movie this was shot exceptionally well lol

cnat remember if i mentioned this before

one million yen and the nigamushi woman - 9/10

yu aoi's shining moment. probably one of the best slice-of-life films ive seen

I just picked up the Planet Earth 4-Blue Ray box set released by the BBC and narrated by David Attenborough as it was meant to be. Watching it in 1080p is seriously beyond words. 11 bajillion/10

late to the party but glad you could join us :beer:

the hangover 8/10

really funny. i'm happy zach galifianakis got to shine in this. i'm also happy to see a comedy that isn't part of the judd apatow monopoly.

will see this soon, in the preview galifianakis seemed a little watered down but sounds promising

i just saw Surveillance a movie directed by the daughter of David Lynch. I saw Boxing Helena and thought it was terible (her other film) so i thought i would give her a chance again. This movie was better in a lot of ways, Bill Pullman played a character that was strangely and uncannily acting like David Lynch himself in some scenes. Overall not a terrible film but fell victim to the cheesy surprise endings (SAW, identity, Secret Window) all horror/thrillers seem to have these days.

Guest zaphod

he's basically doing his stand up routine filtered through an autistic man child. it's hilarious.

some oldies revisted:

pulp fiction: was surprised I liked this more several years after the fact, and knowing all the twists. But lying on the sofa half drunk and just soaking up the dialogue and acting was really enjoyable. It's aged well. The film means nothing but that's ok, it's extremely well crafted, fun, and one of those things you can put in the 100% American category. 10/10. Too bad Tarantino seems to have lost the script, though it does pique my interest in Inglorious Basterds...

fight club: no surprises here, I disliked this as much the second time as I did the first. David Fincher is such a boring fucking director. It's strange how some directors seem to intuitively understand how to move the camera with vitality, and others just fail. He's the anti Von Trier, or the anti Tarkovsky. It's clear he tries to make things snappy with his cgi interludes and the music he chooses, but the overall effect is still ponderous. Guess the story doesn't help either. 5/10

The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On (1987) - 8/10

Documentary about a Japanese veteran of WW2 tracking down former military officers to accuse them of war crimes for the unexplained deaths of several soldiers in his unit. The veteran is pretty wild, he's served time in prison for murder of an officer and attacking the emperor. He's also pretty much ruthless in his pursuit of the officers. He hires actors to play family members of the dead soldiers (when the actual family members are done with him), and threatens and fights people when they won't tell him what he wants to know.

quoted for fucking truth, it took awhile to hunt this down but it was WELL worth it. thanks for recommending it takeshi.

fight club: no surprises here, I disliked this as much the second time as I did the first. David Fincher is such a boring fucking director. It's strange how some directors seem to intuitively understand how to move the camera with vitality, and others just fail. He's the anti Von Trier, or the anti Tarkovsky. It's clear he tries to make things snappy with his cgi interludes and the music he chooses, but the overall effect is still ponderous. Guess the story doesn't help either. 5/10

im not going to try and defend the movie fight club, however i have to respectfully disagree with your comments on David Fincher. i feel he is a very entertaining director and i have enjoyed all of his movies (even Benjamin Button)

im not going to try and defend the movie fight club, however i have to respectfully disagree with your comments on David Fincher. i feel he is a very entertaining director and i have enjoyed all of his movies (even Benjamin Button)

yeah i have to agree, The Game is one of my top 10 movies of all time. and Lumpenprol have you seen that one? I think it's far different than Fight Club and was filmed in San francisco (one of the bestmovies i've seen shot there since Vertigo)

Jackie Brown 10/10 - just watched this again and it is still my favorite Tarantino film. It has the most heart and emotion of any of his films and Max Cherry is a fucking understated bad ass. The whole pot head bridget fonda character is probably the most realistic and non glorified representation of a smoker i have ever seen in a film.

Electric Dragon 80,000V - 8/10

a really fun quick film

In the Mouth of Madness - 5.5/10

LOL

switch those scores around and you are close

electric dragon was kind of disappointing imo, but most pulpy japanese black and white flicks never seem to live up to the hype they generate on the internet.

a really fun quick film

LOL

electric dragon was kind of disappointing imo, but most pulpy japanese black and white flicks never seem to live up to the hype they generate on the internet.

yeah that electric dragon movie was soooooo overhyped

Guest Yegg

a really fun quick film

LOL

ED80kV was gorgeous. John Carpenter and the words "pulpy" crap go together in the same breath.

:rolleyes:

how was electric dragon gorgeous? it looked kind of like a movie adaption of viewtiful joe or something (in style)

i wouldnt give it a 5.5 but probably a 6.5 or 7

trying to say electric dragon ISN'T pulpy crap is ridiculous. both movies are pulpy crap, i just feel the carpenter flick was much more entertaining.

Archived