IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Terminator: Salvation - 6/10

what do you rate Terminator 1 , 2 and 3 hehe geek out faggery

T1 - 8/10

T2 - 9/10

T3 - 5.5/10 (really hated Terminatrix and goofy humor in this but loved the truck scene and ending)

Thought the action in the 4th one was it's strongest point. But there was a lot of really bad dialogue and acting.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gasherbrum - hmm/10

mid 80's herzog, a documentary about a man perhaps as fascinating as fitzcarraldo or aguirre.. the film itself is however not nearly as wild as his jungle fiction epics. worth a shot though for the impressive pakistan alpine terrain, popul vuh and reinhold messner... 6.5/10 i guess.

JCVD - 6.5 or 7/10

interesting story, really lacks on the action, not at all a typical van damme movie but worth it for the story alone. not that it's incredibly well written or anything, it was just entertaining to see jcvd in a role like that. i paid $3 to rent it and it was worth it.

also, i want to like it cause i love jcvd.

Guest zaphod

underworld evolution - 3/10

underworld rise of the lycans - 4/10

stripes - 8/10 (bill murray and soapy tits in the shower)

children of men - 4/10 (second viewing. this is bad. really bad. i watched it and lost interest and just started listening to the dialogue, the delivery of lines. "he had your eyes". not a good film. beautiful cinematography though, so, unfortunate.)

JCVD - 6.5 or 7/10

interesting story, really lacks on the action, not at all a typical van damme movie but worth it for the story alone. not that it's incredibly well written or anything, it was just entertaining to see jcvd in a role like that. i paid $3 to rent it and it was worth it.

how long did it focus on the 'dog day afternoon' style part of the plot? it sounded interesting to me until i heard it was like that movie

JCVD - 6.5 or 7/10

how long did it focus on the 'dog day afternoon' style part of the plot? it sounded interesting to me until i heard it was like that movie

i dunno, it was fairly similar to dda, due to subject matter but i didn't really think of dda as i watched it. It jumped from in the post office to outside to previous events. It had 3 "chapters". Dog Day Afternoon is much better. Pretty sure the film buffs here would dislike it. I guess it's biggest flaw was that the writing lacked a lot of depth, and in following so did the movie. there wwas no real build up or release. which almost was cool beans.

Guest autpt

Attack of the Bio Zombies. made in China; this Romero-esque flick took me by surprise..quite thick to begin with cheese, but really developed a somewhat sentimental love story between a tragic hero turned zombie and lovely lady on the run. perhaps King Kong permeated the creator.

history of violence: 6/10. not as good as eastern promises, as some here have said. Not very suspenseful and character reactions weren't really believable - when his wife and son find out about his past, they attack him for it...didn't make sense. Despite Cronenberg's art house cred, it seemed as much a macho wish-fulfillment movie as Rambo 4. Liked the violence though. Is Cronenberg gay for Viggo Morgenson?

pineapple express: 6/10. Better than I thought it would be, but lost my interest when it became shoot 'em up.

Adrei Rublyov (Tarkovsky): 7/10 hm, this was a tough one, beautifully, beautifully shot, with some great scenes - the "pagans in the forest" interlude was great and rather BoC...I wonder if Herzog has ever spoken of a Tarkovsky influence? The casting of the Bell was also very Herzog. Film seemed a bit weak in other ways, and the ending when it switched to color was sort of unintentionally funny...didn't enjoy it as much as Stalker or Solaris, but it has some superb scenes and is a pretty stunning example of what can be done with B&W film.

The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On (1987) - 8/10

Documentary about a Japanese veteran of WW2 tracking down former military officers to accuse them of war crimes for the unexplained deaths of several soldiers in his unit. The veteran is pretty wild, he's served time in prison for murder of an officer and attacking the emperor. He's also pretty much ruthless in his pursuit of the officers. He hires actors to play family members of the dead soldiers (when the actual family members are done with him), and threatens and fights people when they won't tell him what he wants to know.

Guest Yegg

Junk Food - 8.5/10

A strangely shot portrayal of immigrants, emigres, and the underbelly of an urban Japanese environment.

Diabel - 7/10

Surreal Polish film from the early 70's, entertaining but heavy handed. Awesome soundtrack though.

Ivanovo Detstvo ("Ivan's Childhood"), Tarkovsky: thanks to wonders of pirated Chinese DVDs, have been making my way through Tarkovsky's back catalog...this was his first non-student film, about a Russian kid used as a spy in WW2. Overall really good, as usual amazing cinematography, camerawork, and dream sequences. Kolya Burlyayev, who plays the kid, does a superb acting job, one of the best child actors I've seen (he also contributes the best acting to Tarkovsky's second flick, Andrei Rublyov). Despite the amazing visuals and good acting, it's lacking some dramatic tension.

7.5/10,

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

Six degrees of separation - 8.96/11.8

High school musical 2 - 4.51/8.5

deliverance - looks great, creepy pacing, a bow-wielding jon voight, and the inbred banjo virtuoso. 8.5/10

coraline - excellent first time

bored with it after the 5th time

Just watched it for the first time. Easily 9/10.

Best adventure/fairy tale movie I've watched since Pan's Labyrinth.

imo, pan's labyrinth blows coraline out of the water. probably cause it's a live action movie w/ actors

imo, pan's labyrinth blows coraline out of the water. probably cause it's a live action movie w/ actors

Oh, no doubt about it. Pan's Labyrinth almost made me weep. Beautiful, beautiful movie. But the world needs more adventure movies.

Guest JohnTqs

knocked up 3/4

sunset blvd 4/4 (rewatched)

you all rate films out of 10...it's out of four stars noobs

Guest Gary C

Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait.

A hard slog for anyone who isn't interested in football, but I enjoyed it. A good ambient film. Mogwai's soundtrack works well.

Archived