IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

To me it was just an alright film. Not bad but not mindblowing. I can cope with slow-paced and long films but the length felt unnecessary for what it was.

The build up to the killing of Reyeb was probably my favourite part of the film. After that, or maybe 1:30hrs onwards, I felt it lacked tension. I might have still been wound-up about the goat film, but when they arose I wasn't really bothered if events went one way or another.

Besides the Arab/French relations and a peek into French prisons there's not much that I haven't seen before, but maybe better. I'd like to watch it again in the future as everyone else seems to have enjoyed it a lot but I don't know if it'll easy to not just pick it apart in my head while I'm trying to enjoy it. I'll give it a couple of years.

i see what you're saying... it did loose momentum, tension and that claustrophobic feel which had been established so well, when he started to venture outside. the main character was so good though, so he kept me into it throughout.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just started watching Eyes Wide Shut. It's hilarious. There's this scene with Kidman and Tom Cruise trying to act with this 1950s dialogue and it's dragging on and on....

I've never watched Eyes Wide Shut with a critical eye because I was pleased enough with the original, Abre Los Ojos. Check it out.

Wait...wasn't Abre Los Ojos remade into the Cameron Crowe film Vanilla Sky? I'm talking about Kubrick's last film that also happens to star Tom Cruise, with a younger, hot, and pre-botox Nicole Kidman.

Incidentally I continued watching about another half hour of it during my lunch break. I want to savor how awful it is. It's like Kubrick has never had sex in his entire life. The idea that he was motivated enough to make an entire film about infidelity is just...quaint. It's almost like reefer madness, but with better production values, and about sex. On the plus side, the lighting is incredible but also unintentionally hilarious as Kubrick overdoes it on the christmas lights so after a while you start playing "spot the christmas tree" in each room a character enters. Deeply funny film.

I am amazed that he was able to find so many hot chicks with natural breasts, though. It's like a squee fever dream.

edit: squee beat me to it

eyes wide shut is genius, wtf are you talking about?

I wasn't too impressed with Eyes Wide Shut. It just didn't quite work. As with most films, it was never quite as good as the book, which I thought was really interesting. Swapping Vienna for New York seemed to lose something, I'm not sure why.

I watched "Collapse" the other day, trailer below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNmi49F_DIo&feature=player_embedded

He has some very interesting points, but be warned, it's not very uplifting, you may want to watch Uncle Buck or something to cheer you up afterwards. I'd give it a 7 out of 10

Guest Gary C

lol, I don't know what the fuck I'm on about.

Eyes Wide Shut. Vanilla Sky... :shrug: Tom Cruise doing art.

I wasn't too impressed with Eyes Wide Shut. It just didn't quite work. As with most films, it was never quite as good as the book, which I thought was really interesting. Swapping Vienna for New York seemed to lose something, I'm not sure why.

He has some very interesting points, but be warned, it's not very uplifting, you may want to watch Uncle Buck or something to cheer you up afterwards. I'd give it a 7 out of 10

I was only reminded about this a couple of days ago. I'll check it out and undoubtedly belittle it.

Eyes Wide Shut didn't work for me either, i don't understand how Kubrick took so long to make it.

I like the whole secret masonic sex orgy thing and the monochromatic piano score when it gets scary but other than that the movie feels very unecessary

and yes i've read the whole 'temptations of his sexual desires' essays about all of the trials he was put throiugh in the movie, even with that in mind if it was true doesnt make the movie more enjoyable. In fact if that is true it makes it more cheesy and ham fisted

edit: one of the tip offs that Kubrick had lost if in this movie was how generically her fantasy flashback scenes were done, black and white , frame skipped slow motion. It seemed like something an amateur would do

Eyes Wide Shut didn't work for me either, i don't understand how Kubrick took so long to make it.

I like the whole secret masonic sex orgy thing and the monochromatic piano score when it gets scary but other than that the movie feels very unecessary

and yes i've read the whole 'temptations of his sexual desires' essays about all of the trials he was put throiugh in the movie, even with that in mind if it was true doesnt make the movie more enjoyable. In fact if that is true it makes it more cheesy and ham fisted

edit: one of the tip offs that Kubrick had lost if in this movie was how generically her fantasy flashback scenes were done, black and white , frame skipped slow motion. It seemed like something an amateur would do

spot on

Guest Gary C

I think he was rushed (by his standards) for Eyes Wide Shut because of the profile of the lead actors. Ideally he probably would've locked it away for a couple of years and then edited it again in hindsight.

I thought I remember reading/watching/hearing that Kubrick was of poor health during the filming which probably worsened during post production... could explain its strange direction and overall execution. I know he died shortly after its first screening but from what I remember it was sudden and out of know where.

Guest beatfanatic

Assassination of Jesse James

10/10

absolutely amazing..

This!!!

Cassey Affleck was even better than Brad Pitt. I also absolutely love the background score by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis.

Assassination of Jesse James

10/10

absolutely amazing..

This!!!

Cassey Affleck was even better than Brad Pitt. I also absolutely love the background score by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis.

Weird, sometimes I think we've all synched up like girls who live together can synch up periods. I just watched this for the second time day before yesterday. It is a great film, Casey Affleck is just superb, completely obliterates any thought of him being related to Ben Affleck. Only complaints I have are it drags a bit at the end, and the voice over can be a bit heavy handed at times, would be interesting to see a non-voice over version.

The cinematography is amazing, equalling or surpassing Malick. I love the shots through the old fashioned glass windows with the warps and distortions in them, and the way they would blur and distort the edges of some shots the way you see in some of the photographs that survive from that time period.

All the actors were well chosen imo, with the possible exception of Pitt who looks the part but occasionally lets California surfer-dude mannerisms slip out.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i think that might just be watmms favourite film

we finished dexter season 2 last night. not sure how i feel about

doakes death. dexter may as well have shot him it was still his fault indirectly. then his code suddenly allows him to kill lila. bit of a stretch.

lol at seeing lila's tits even in the episode recaps

hoping for better in s3

after trying to watch The Big Lebowski a few years ago (and hating it), i gave it another chance last night. and enjoyed it a lot better. i still find some films funnier, but it's definitely not "shit" as i had previously panned it when i last saw it.

i am the walrus

Collapse is an excellent film. I watched it around the same time it came out. Michael Rupert is a remarkable character - I found the film quite moving, whilst also maintaining it's educational purpose. His solutions mentioned in the film are very few and far between but nevertheless the film contains very interesting facts and illustrations of what society could encounter within the next few decades.

we finished dexter season 2 last night. not sure how i feel about

doakes death. dexter may as well have shot him it was still his fault indirectly. then his code suddenly allows him to kill lila. bit of a stretch.

lol at seeing lila's tits even in the episode recaps

hoping for better in s3

Finishing season 2, for me, felt like the first breath of spring. Season 3 gets a lot better: less drama, less CSI:Miami atmosphere, and more of the Dexter we grew to love in season 1.

The whole season revolved around 1 formula; "This week in Dexter... OMG he almost gets caught!" So much drama. I too didn't like how the Doakes issue was resolved... seemed like the same cop-out they used all season which is trying way too hard at twisting the story. Since they didn't know what they hell they were doing with the characters (spare the older dude Deb was into), instead of build them up they used plot twists, poorly constructed, SAW-esque, twists that unraveled and crumbled like sun baked worms. It was all so elementary and lifeless. Fuck that season.

Dexter is an evolving character and as you will notice in Season 3 as is his code. Killing Lila wasn't necessarily for his code; it was his animalistic instincts, which you will also notice come more into play in Season 3.

i haven't seen fargo or se7en yet, should i?

Yes! Both! Now!

Fargo is very interesting to analyze if you are an avid Coen fan. Brilliant from start to finish.

Se7en is arguably Finchers best film.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i didnt like fargo on first viewing. saw it years later and really enjoyed it.

se7en is very good too, unless it aged badly?

i haven't seen fargo or se7en yet, should i?

Yes! Both! Now!

Fargo is very interesting to analyze if you are an avid Coen fan. Brilliant from start to finish.

Se7en is arguably Finchers best film.

Se7en is great, but it's gotten a little dated over time. The inclusion of the bondage store blasting Gravity Kills for example.

I think The Game is Fincher's underrated masterpiece. It seems very timeless to me, it never ages no matter how many times i see it.

Collapse is an excellent film. I watched it around the same time it came out. Michael Rupert is a remarkable character - I found the film quite moving, whilst also maintaining it's educational purpose. His solutions mentioned in the film are very few and far between but nevertheless the film contains very interesting facts and illustrations of what society could encounter within the next few decades.

He was the first one to write about how many mock hijacking war games were going on the day of 9/11 by Norad that crippled our automatic air defense protocols, this book -

Ruppert_Rubicon_1.jpg

is amazing

Guest beatfanatic

I watched the first half of Tarvosky's Stalker last night (it was getting too late). Planning on finishing it tonight.

Visually the movie is probably the best I have ever seen but I am not so sure plotwise.

Will report back after I finish the whole thing.

I just watched the box, i didn't hate it. 5 maybe 6 out of 10.

also collpase, it was nothing new to me cus i've been following the peak oil thing for a while. more people should be aware of this.

Archived