IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

ended up watching:

13 Assassins

First miike film i seen. loved it. was confused for some of the set-up (due to everyone having the same dress-sense haircut combo and not knowing the culture) but overall very satisfying. where should i go next with this guys films? audition? ichi?

I am not sure where you should go with Miike. I am waiting for another samurai film by him. His other films might as well be directed by different persons, they are all so various.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest GrandPopPoplock

Insidious - 6/10

It was a bit slow at times , the jump scenes didn't really bother me , but they were good and didn't feel cheap . The design for Dalton's ghost was neat at first , until the full body reveal at the end ( meh practical effects ) Eh...it was a fun film...nothing special .

Guillermo Del Toro should of directed .

Dalton's ghost [ small spoiler ]

demon.gif

Insidious - 6/10

It was a bit slow at times , the jump scenes didn't really bother me , but they were good and didn't feel cheap . The design for Dalton's ghost was neat at first , until the full body reveal at the end ( meh practical effects ) Eh...it was a fun film...nothing special .

Guillermo Del Toro should of directed .

Dalton's ghost [ small spoiler ]

demon.gif

The first half scared the living shit out of me. The second half was just a ridiculous monster flick.

Guest GrandPopPoplock

LOL Yeah, they lost their minds at the end of the film . I laughed pretty hard when Josh started fighting the ghost :facepalm:

where should i go next with this guys films? audition? ichi?

only other ones i've seen. definately recommended.

there's a scene from audition with a cheese-wire that i've never been able to get out of my head. disturbingly creepy film.

and ichi is an OTT blood bath riot.

13 Assassins

First miike film i seen. loved it. was confused for some of the set-up (due to everyone having the same dress-sense haircut combo and not knowing the culture) but overall very satisfying. where should i go next with this guys films? audition? ichi?

i can't really keep up with Miike's output and some is his stuff is just too OTT for me unless i'm in a silly mood (visitor Q, ichi, etc).

but i really enjoyed his earlier "Yakuza trilogy", quite sober films but powerful. i can recommend "Blues Harp" in particular http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303780/

One Point O (2004) - 7/10 pretty good near-future dystopic setting revolving around a paranoid computer programmer who has no idea of what the "bigger picture" of the software he's making is (think Cube). we meet his worried boss demanding finished code after it's deadline, an eccentric German robotics hobbyist neighbour, a strange landlord who needs help getting rid of viruses off his terminal, a creator of a virtual reality sex world, a rogue courier who can "get anything you want"...edgey omnipresent vibe thoughout.. paranoia, mix in a bit of corporate conspiracy and it becomes a biting commentary on advertising ethics

MFJXO.jpg

7D8B2.jpg

nTGQB.jpg

Tron: Legacy - 7.5/10 I thought everything was good besides the last 30 minutes. That's where the corny lines and non-climatic events that were supposed to be climatic occurred.

Guest viscosity

Valhalla Rising - wanted to see this after watching the Driver screener. had the same level of violence but a bit ambient with tinges of cheap thrills thrown in. somewhat contrived symbolism throughout

Barry Lyndon - kept me entertained over 3 hours.. the production is all top notch as well. love Kubrick's sense of humor

Eyes Wide Shut- worth it for the underground-cult orgy scene alone

Valhalla Rising - wanted to see this after watching the Driver screener. had the same level of violence but a bit ambient with tinges of cheap thrills thrown in. somewhat contrived symbolism throughout

Barry Lyndon - kept me entertained over 3 hours.. the production is all top notch as well. love Kubrick's sense of humor

Eyes Wide Shut- worth it for the underground-cult orgy scene alone

tell about the contrivances of the symbolism plz i dint get that when i watched

Guest viscosity

contrived is probably the wrong word.. just overly pretentious and self important. felt like it was striving to hit some profound nerve

contrived is probably the wrong word.. just overly pretentious and self important. felt like it was striving to hit some profound nerve

well the movie leaves a lot for your own imagination to fill in blanks, i ve watched it five times and pondered it furiously and i found it to be super genious but thats maybe just because of how genious i am so naturally i think the movie is like that. which is maybe the thing with you where you are really like that and its mirroring your own self importance

why do people feel the need to watch the harry potters and then complain about them? I quit after they gave the black dude all the "insert funny black man lines here" in the 5th one.

I watched all the other ones and didn't complain. I'm just glad it's over as the final movie didn't do much beyond resolve the series. There was no satisfying story arc within that one film, if you get what i mean.

Guest viscosity

well the movie leaves a lot for your own imagination to fill in blanks, i ve watched it five times and pondered it furiously and i found it to be super genious but thats maybe just because of how genious i am so naturally i think the movie is like that. which is maybe the thing with you where you are really like that and its mirroring your own self importance

yepp it's impossible for me to have an objective opinion about a film because naturally everything I write is self reflective

Archived