IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

what made you decide to watch a film about baseball?

philip seymour hoffman basically

was gonna say. still not interested in this thing tho.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

The Conversation

amazing. the sound production is enjoyable on a watmm level. the filtered audio tape throughout the film + cinematography adds to an overall pretty amazing film. 10/10

So I have pretty shit taste in movies, or at least I'm way behind on my movie watching homework. Anyway I've, erm, acquired access to a number of these movies based on your recommendations and I've been pretty pleased so far. Margin Call in particular was really good... it's sort of one of a certain kind of movie that usually doesn't end up being very good but it was actually really good.

Anyway I don't have much to contribute to this thread as far as movie recommendations, but I can offer a pretty sweet popcorn recipe. It's the best popcorn I've ever had, no lie.

You need a heavy-bottomed pot. I use a LeCreuset pot and it works really nicely. That's really the only trick here, all this other stuff can be bought for cheap at any half-decent grocery store, maybe even some convenience-type stores.

1/3 cup popcorn kernels - cheap stuff is fine. You can use more but go easy on it. This is enough to fill up my pot halfway and I can easily eat all this myself because I'm a fatass. And also because this popcorn is fucking delicious.

oil - I like olive oil but vegetable, peanut, and coconut are probably fine

kosher/sea salt - to taste. You can probably get away with generic iodized salt but I haven't tried it.

- Add enough oil in the bottom of the pot to just cover it, or at least enough so that when the pot is hot it will be covered. Take 4 of the kernels (YES, just FOUR of those little guys!) and put them in the pot, spaced fairly far apart, preferably almost in separate corners.

- Heat pot on range on medium heat. Wait for the kernels to pop.

- When all 4 kernels have popped, remove pot from heat (but do NOT turn the range off yet!) and begin counting to 30. Put in the rest of the kernels, and add sea salt - not too much, I tend to overdo this if I'm not careful. Shake it up a bit to coat it - this should be pretty easy since the kernels have nice hot oil swirling around them.

- After 30 seconds have elapsed, return pot to the range and cover. Leave enough space for some steam/oil to escape out of the pot (but not so much that kernels will fly out) and be sure to position the pot in the direction where it bothers you the least to have steam and oil spewing out.

- Babysit, or at least stay in earshot of, the pot. When it's a few seconds between pops, remove it from the heat, turn off the range, and let the pot cool down for long enough that you don't think corn kernels are going to fly into your eye (10-15 seconds for me)

- Transfer to a big bowl and enjoy!

Guest disparaissant

parting glances

steve buscemi's first "major" role, as a punk/new wave dude dying of aids.

pretty good, he stole the show.

so i watched hugo the first like 20 mins were super promising and then it kind of started getting awkward and it seems like its a movie that has a really interesting concept but it just wasnt made properly like the charaters were just always saying the wrong things even if it seemed like they were saying the right things they werent it was just something wasnt there

with the acting and the writing and the way the story happened

it was kind of boring a lot and it seemed kind of pointless some times and it seemed like there were a bunch of dead ends or something

but i liked the visuals i liked the for like 20 - 30 mins

idk it wasnt painful to watch some times it was awkward and i was rolling my eyes a few times but id give it like a strong 6 maybe.

lol, I still don't understand your persona MM, but sometimes you're pretty funny.

Speaking of awkward movies I just watched most (maybe 3/4?) of Tintin, and it was such an unpleasant experience I had to turn it off. It's true I was a big Tintin fan as a child, but by now I've forgotten most of the plots except the broad brush-strokes, and I think I went into the film with an open mind. As I was watching though, the sensation kept growing that this is a film that should never have been made. Yes, there was the uncanny valley effect, which made a lot of the humor fall flat, but more than that, it just didn't capture the spirit of Tintin for me. There's something very humble about Tintin, it's not the same as Indiana Jones and shouldn't be treated that way...most of the time I felt they took things too far over the top, and that the Williams score didn't fit at all. They seemed to be trying way too hard. Plus they mangled the plots of the original stories...I kept wishing it were less photoreal, more like an Aardman Animation production...the whole production should have been allowed to breathe more, but it seems they didn't have faith in their material, so they had to keep pushing and pushing the sort of violent slapstick that is very modern era, but not TinTin...5/10, for the CG alone, because whatever else I may think, it represents some sort of technical benchmark...

the skin i live in - 7,5 david bowies/10

la tourneuse de pages - this movie reminded me of Black Swan 7/10

we need to talk about kevin - 6,5/10

contagion - 6/10

rampart - good movie but didn't do much for me 6/10

a good old fashioned orgy - 5/10

les femmes de l'ombre - 5/10

the inbetweeners movie - this movie has 7 stars on IMDB WTF 1/10

Moneyball%20poster.jpg

pretty good, and that's from someone who knows absolutely nothing about baseball, other than that it's a sport americans seem to enjoy for some reason.

Agreed. Was a bit too long though.

how did you watch it, in 3d? What do you represented a technical benchmark about it?

Not 3D...what do they call it when someone films it in the movie theater? A "screener" or something? Anyway that's what I have, a crappy Shanghai-street-bought dvd. Pretty low quality but even with that I can tell it's well done technically. I guess the benchmark would be taking the whole digital human thing one step further, in terms of extrapolating from mocap data to a stylized human form...wasn't always successful (bianca castafiore and the arab dude with the round glasses looked particularly weird), but it was "less uncanny valley" than I expected...tintin, haddock, and the main bad guy were almost always pleasant to look at, rather than unintentionally creepy. Snowy was probably the worst, and I'm guessing he was all keyframe not mocap, so that tells you something...

how did you watch it, in 3d? What do you represented a technical benchmark about it?

Not 3D...what do they call it when someone films it in the movie theater? A "screener" or something? Anyway that's what I have, a crappy Shanghai-street-bought dvd. Pretty low quality but even with that I can tell it's well done technically. I guess the benchmark would be taking the whole digital human thing one step further, in terms of extrapolating from mocap data to a stylized human form...wasn't always successful (bianca castafiore and the arab dude with the round glasses looked particularly weird), but it was "less uncanny valley" than I expected...tintin, haddock, and the main bad guy were almost always pleasant to look at, rather than unintentionally creepy. Snowy was probably the worst, and I'm guessing he was all keyframe not mocap, so that tells you something...

lol, i just get all warm and fuzzy thinking about hollywood producers' ragefaces when they lose trillions of dollars cause of chinese wide-scale piracy.

it's called camrip btw :sup:

Guest ex-voto

finally watched enter the void still processing it but wow

thought it was overhyped tbh, what did you like? I thought it was long, boring, repetitive.

5/10

finally watched enter the void still processing it but wow

thought it was overhyped tbh, what did you like? I thought it was long, boring, repetitive.

5/10

Enter the Void was one big trip. I fucking loved it.

the inbetweeners movie - this movie has 7 stars on IMDB WTF 1/10

You don't get it.

(I assume you haven't seen the tv series)

i enjoyed the tv series but thought the film wasnt very good. especially the all so happy ending. some good bits, mind you, but still doesnt touch the tv series

Archived