IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Kill List is on sale (or has leaked), someone go watch it then meet me back here. The less you know about it the better.

Oi oi you lucky people!

i saw it yesterday, 75% of the movie was almost perfect for what it is, but then, i don't know...

i was expecting some kind of mental/psych theme but instead i was presented with a cult, didn't like it, ruined it for me, and it made the end scene 100% predictable which was a shame.

i'm not hating i'm just sad cause i was digging the hell out of this movie/10

Yeah I was undecided about that on the first watch, I picked it up today so will see how I feel about it on the second run.

I've read interviews where the director compares the plot to the current economic climate and the way people have unfortunate things thrust upon them that they don't fully understand by a system beyond their control. This certainly applies to the film and adds weight to the grim conclusion.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melancholia - 6/10

i really wanted to love this movie, Antichrist completely turned me on to Lars Von Trier, i wasn't a fan before. I thought that the opening 10 minute sequence was so beautiful looking and creepy that i don't know how they could have possibly topped it visually after that point.

I think the movie would have been stronger if they didn't actually show the very last scene. I loved the whole part with the magic cave/wood stick fort but it looked soooo fakey and Scifi channel level scifi right before the ending credits. Im not too familiar with his career but i think the concept felt rushed, the concept is great but the way it played out i didn't enjoy too much. Plus how does Kiefer Sutherland still get acting gigs? on 24 he just hams it up so that makes sense, but in any role that requires dramatic weight he is totally unbelievable on screen

positives: the wagner music was used well, reminded me of Kubrick a little bit but not in a heavy handed homage sort of way, the sound melancholia made as it came closer, kirsten dunst's performance was great, the colors looked really nice

Guest bitroast

Melancholia - 6/10

i really wanted to love this movie, Antichrist completely turned me on to Lars Von Trier, i wasn't a fan before. I thought that the opening 10 minute sequence was so beautiful looking and creepy that i don't know how they could have possibly topped it visually after that point.

I think the movie would have been stronger if they didn't actually show the very last scene. I loved the whole part with the magic cave/wood stick fort but it looked soooo fakey and Scifi channel level scifi right before the ending credits. Im not too familiar with his career but i think the concept felt rushed, the concept is great but the way it played out i didn't enjoy too much. Plus how does Kiefer Sutherland still get acting gigs? on 24 he just hams it up so that makes sense, but in any role that requires dramatic weight he is totally unbelievable on screen

positives: the wagner music was used well, reminded me of Kubrick a little bit but not in a heavy handed homage sort of way, the sound melancholia made as it came closer, kirsten dunst's performance was great, the colors looked really nice

i was enjoying this movie until kirsten dunst become all depressed and all knowing-like (see attached image).

do people actually have these characteristics when depressed? it seemed totally over the top to me. other than this, film was kind of alright.. i guess. 6.2/10.

tbe-one.jpg

Guest bitroast

The Adventures of Tin Tin was pretty cool. :cool:

yeaaaah..

no....

not really. i don't know. the characters were enjoyable enough (haddock in particular was a highlight), but there was still something overall cold and lifeless about this film. it was pumped with too much action and the action was just awhole lot of consequence-less flailing about (similar to the carefree technology driven lightsaber battles in star wars prequels). all show and visuals but kind of lacking in anything else.

and it's not like i had high expectations or anything. it was just, this dumb fun action movie that was based on the tintin books, and even then the dumb fun action was boring and pointless. kind of disapointed.

Kill List is on sale (or has leaked), someone go watch it then meet me back here. The less you know about it the better.

Oi oi you lucky people!

i saw it yesterday, 75% of the movie was almost perfect for what it is, but then, i don't know...

i was expecting some kind of mental/psych theme but instead i was presented with a cult, didn't like it, ruined it for me, and it made the end scene 100% predictable which was a shame.

Yeah I was undecided about that on the first watch, I picked it up today so will see how I feel about it on the second run.

I've read interviews where the director compares the plot to the current economic climate and the way people have unfortunate things thrust upon them that they don't fully understand by a system beyond their control. This certainly applies to the film and adds weight to the grim conclusion.

have you seen "a serbian film"???

Oi oi you lucky people!

have you seen "a serbian film"???

I am almost ashamed to admit that I have, before seeing this film I heard Mark Kermode's review and he mentioned how it owes something to A Serbian Film so the moment the hunchback arrived for the fight I was able to guess where it would lead, bastard!

I am almost ashamed to admit that I have, before seeing this film I heard Mark Kermode's review and he mentioned how it owes something to A Serbian Film so the moment the hunchback arrived for the fight I was able to guess where it would lead, bastard!

i hadn't read anything yet i saw it coming :(

Guest disparaissant

The Adventures of Tin Tin was pretty cool. :cool:

yeaaaah..

no....

not really. i don't know. the characters were enjoyable enough (haddock in particular was a highlight), but there was still something overall cold and lifeless about this film. it was pumped with too much action and the action was just awhole lot of consequence-less flailing about (similar to the carefree technology driven lightsaber battles in star wars prequels). all show and visuals but kind of lacking in anything else.

and it's not like i had high expectations or anything. it was just, this dumb fun action movie that was based on the tintin books, and even then the dumb fun action was boring and pointless. kind of disapointed.

clearly you have no soul

i just got back from this and i can really only describe it as a romp.

it was a romp.

rather enjoyable, totally pointless, and i dont give a fuck.

it was great for what it was.

and that was a romp.

Guest bitroast

Ha:)

I may change my mind on second viewing, but yeah. I had bad taste in my mouth from all the over the top action the film focused. Don't mind me, I have no soul etc.

Archived