IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will always love 'Excalibur'.

So what the hell did your rating mean Squee.

I think I might see 'TCITW' again this weekend, before it is shoved out of the theatres.

Cabin in the Woods could have been interesting but tried too hard to be clever, while still making sure to retain mainstream appeal. The horror-history nods were dissappointingly populistic (the least cliché bits were some apparant stylistic choices reminiscent of Argento/Bava, but I can't even tell if those were actual references or if I just tried too hard to read that into these scenes). That isn't problematic per se, except that the film tries to be "something specifically for the horror fans", but really isn't at all.

If you've read the wikipedia page about horrorfilms, you're already enough of a connoisseur to "get" this movie. So to speak.

It felt a bit like one of those self-aware comedy filler episodes from The X-files, only (even?) less enjoyable

(mainly because x-files, even at its very worst, never even tried pulling something as tedious as this whole "reality-show-for-ancient-gods" nonsense)

A far more intelligent (but also more mischievous and requiring more patience from the viewer) parody/critique of contemporary film culture is Greg Araki's Kaboom. It got passed off as a stupid and shallow metrosexual teen movie (which at some level it was, that was the whole point), but in many ways it had similar intentions as Cabin, only more subtle, radical and authentic.

I appreciate Cabin's attempt at transgression, but for me that attempt failed. Too straighforward, perhaps, to succeed. Should have been more ambiguous or something. I don't know. I expected more.

The sudden all-hell-breaks-loose monster massacre was fun in its over-the-top ness, I'll give it that much. Looked like something out of one of those bad CGI giant-shark movies. Made me laugh.

The Descendants-7/10

I really went into this thinking I would hate it, and found myself pleasantly surprised. Im not a big fan of Clooney by any means, but his "persona" (in that hes not an actor, he plays the same smarmy asshole in every movie) matches really well with his character. The pacing seemed about right. Even though the dialogue was cheesy at parts (Clooney's final hospital bed farewell), and the director focused on Clooney's "serious" face for waaaay too long and waaay too often, it told a good story. The child actors weren't fucking horrendous, which is a saving throw in of itself.

The Help-6/10

Was ok, rambled on way too long to be effective. Nice "feel-good" movie...and the lady that won the oscar did a great job...I was surprised at how well Emma Stone did.

btw, Im spendin the weekend with me ma', thus accounting for all the Hallmarky movies Ive been watching.

Guest RadarJammer

Man on a Ledge this movie had me until the last 5 or 10 minutes. It sucks how most action/crime/thriller/suspense movies turn into an exhausting bit of mess near the end.

'The Cabin in the Woods' will be loved by many with time.

Nitpickers shouldn't see comedies or fantasy films.

Stop wasting yours and my time with the over analyzing of films completely based in irrational worlds!

I love you Cabin.

I can't wait to see you again.

Everyone has opinions.

There there Cabin.

It will be okay.

Heh, I thought Woman in Black was a good date movie, watched it with the gf and she jumped a bit, but one thing that kept distracting me were the shoddy production values: all the cheap, fake looking fog they added, plus a lack of light and color matching from one scene to the next...you could feel how it was a patchwork of different locations.

Have been revisiting some old flicks, it's funny which ones stand the test of time. For example I liked Last of the Mohicans well enough when it came out, but it just seemed really amateurish on second viewing. Even the action scenes were sub-par for Michael Mann. Music was good. Daniel Day Lewis was embarrassingly bad as well, the guy has zero sexual chemistry...is it because he's just a weirdo, or is he gay, or...? He's so much better now in villain roles then he was when he made a bid to be a romantic lead.

And watched Mad Max and The Road Warrior back-to-back, I know some people here like Mad Max but it's nowhere near the quality of Road Warrior. Definitely should have gone in the "sequels that are better than the originals" thread.

Just finished watching Chronicle, it was pretty good for a while then he turned into an apex predator or whatever bullshit he was talking about and it felt like i was watching a Korn video .. "LEAVE ME ALONEEEE!" 6.5/10.

mad max is fucking terrible. the road warrior on the hand...

is fucking terrible

haha, but srsly. Are you telling me even someone with your world-weary and jaundiced eye can't find anything to like in Road Warrior? It has everything a man could want, even a razor boomerang.

Just finished watching Chronicle, it was pretty good for a while then he turned into an apex predator or whatever bullshit he was talking about and it felt like i was watching a Korn video .. "LEAVE ME ALONEEEE!" 6.5/10.

Yeah, it lost whatever it's thing was as they tried to wrap it up.

Chronicle - unfortunately derailed/10

Guest cult fiction

Watched The Woman on Netflix, from the director of May. It's about a feral woods woman, the attempts of a man to civilize her, his family, and domestic abuse.

I really enjoyed it - not perfect but far better and more interesting than your average horror film. May be extremely upsetting if you're not used to hard horror, like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3lUAZLB4JY

Not sure how anybody could accuse this film of being misogynistic, unless they were dense.

foo fighters: back and forth doc - from goodball rockers to cheese superstars to old guys trying to play hard. i really liked the last album and have a soft spot for dave grohl as he's hilarious, so i guess i enjoyed it. and pat smear's flamboyance is always a joy.

A far more intelligent (but also more mischievous and requiring more patience from the viewer) parody/critique of contemporary film culture is Greg Araki's Kaboom. It got passed off as a stupid and shallow metrosexual teen movie (which at some level it was, that was the whole point), but in many ways it had similar intentions as Cabin, only more subtle, radical and authentic.

yeaaah, there's always that less know movie that's better than the well known one. always. no exceptions.

Guest zaphod

is fucking terrible

haha, but srsly. Are you telling me even someone with your world-weary and jaundiced eye can't find anything to like in Road Warrior? It has everything a man could want, even a razor boomerang.

nah i'm just trolling. it's a good b-movie. mad max isn't very good at all though.

is fucking terrible

nah i'm just trolling. it's a good b-movie. mad max isn't very good at all though.

road warrior is always good to see, but i don't think i've ever sat thru all of it, in one session

was Deliverance a fluke for Boorman? Almost every film i've seen of his falls short of the mark of quality left by Deliverance.

I don't know if I'd rate it above Deliverance but The General was pretty good.

point blank is pretty cool

Archived