that second Fennesz Sakamoto collab, Cendre. I'd rate that collab #1.

I got this a while ago but have criminally neglected it... will have to give it another spin asap

Great for summer and fall. One of my favorite albums. Doesn't get much deeper than this:

• 1 month later...

I've been listening to Time Heals All by ASC a lot over the last couple months, and I can't seem to get enough of it. Can WATMM recommend some more ambient music like this? "Dramatic" probably isn't a sufficient description; although I do enjoy the likes of Lawrence English and Murcof's Cosmos, but I am not looking for the shocking seriousness of those. Maybe "expressive" and "eventful" but not reserved. I also listened to Truth Be Told, which is also good.

I'm amazed at the use of field recordings as well. It all fits together so naturally for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to Time Heals All by ASC a lot over the last couple months, and I can't seem to get enough of it. Can WATMM recommend some more ambient music like this? "Dramatic" probably isn't a sufficient description; although I do enjoy the likes of Lawrence English and Murcof's Cosmos, but I am not looking for the shocking seriousness of those. Maybe "expressive" and "eventful" but not reserved. I also listened to Truth Be Told, which is also good.

I'm amazed at the use of field recordings as well. It all fits together so naturally for me.

I love Time Heals All immensely.

You might might want to check out ASC's collab with Ulrich Schnauss, although it's not beatless at all. It's wonderful.

More along the lines of Time Heals All: Ben Lukas Boysen's "Gravity", and "Mother Nature" are two wonderful albums.

Lots of stuff on the Glacial Movements label fits along those lines, give a bunch of their stuff a try: http://www.glacialmovements.com/

edit: forgot to add, Oophoi's "An Aerial View" has been getting a lot of play here lately. His output is a bit hit and miss, but this one hits solidly.

i've been buying each stars of the lid album starting with music for nitrous oxide (1995)

also a gem that i found in 2011, but revisited a few months ago was the john foxx / harold budd 2cd set. think "atmospheric piano." the fennesz sakamoto piano collab (cendre) stuff must have been influenced by budd imo. he has a large discography (beginning in the 70s(?)) that is well worth looking into.

Basinski's Vivian and Ondine (2009) comes to mind. When you want to relax at night or focus on your writing in a zen state of mind, William Basinski is always a great choice. My personal suggestions: all the Disintegration Loops, El Camino Real, 92982 and Nocturnes.

i listened to the new gimu cassette today... i've been following him for a few years now, and his music keep getting more refined with every release.

sending out good vibes to him, because he's been having a hard time (according to the info on his bandcamp page).

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Watson's gear is fail-safe soundscape brilliance. Perfect for blending with more melodic compositions. Really liked El Tren Fantasma for the 2 outstanding pieces El Divisadero & El Tajin.

http://www.discogs.com/Chris-Watson-El-Tren-Fantasma/release/3112537

One record that always hit the spot was Skylab's "Skylab#1", specifically for the tune "Next" (the footsteps one):

http://www.discogs.com/Skylab-Skylab1/master/31144

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnavqrb1WGw

Also, just about everything that ever came out on the EM:T label, Nottingham's finest. Note to self - go back through this thread meticulously when it isnt so fuckin late

Hey guys, trying to find some very loud/intense ambient(i don't know if intense is the word.) Layered wall of sound drones that produces a sensory overload in the listener. I listened to a little of the new ben frost album aurora and i liked that but i want something else without beats.

Kinda like this:

Hey guys, trying to find some very loud/intense ambient(i don't know if intense is the word.) Layered wall of sound drones that produces a sensory overload in the listener. I listened to a little of the new ben frost album aurora and i liked that but i want something else without beats.

If you haven't heard these, anyway. These two don't evoke the exhilarating bliss that bvdub does, but might come close to the description

Lawrence English - Kiri No Oto (Touch)

Fennesz

Also check out ASC if you haven't! Can't recommend his ambient material enough. See my post earlier on this page

Hey guys, trying to find some very loud/intense ambient(i don't know if intense is the word.) Layered wall of sound drones that produces a sensory overload in the listener.

you could try the end of the world championship, though it might be more drone than you want:

http://theendoftheworldchampionship.bandcamp.com/

thanks, this sounds pretty good. actually the more droney, the better.

If you haven't heard these, anyway. These two don't evoke the exhilarating bliss that bvdub does, but might come close to the description

Lawrence English - Kiri No Oto (Touch)

Fennesz

Also check out ASC if you haven't! Can't recommend his ambient material enough. See my post earlier on this page

Already know about Fennesz, its good but sometimes a bit sporadic for ambient imo. Will check out ASC

Definitely second that Lawrence English - Kiri No Oto rec. Also his recent album Wilderness Of Mirrors.

Other dense ambient releases (some of these are a bit noisy):

Belong - October Language

Benoît Honoré Pioulard - Plays Roanoke

Gaston Arevalo - Rollin Ballads

Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - Love Is A Stream / Xela & Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - Love Is A Dream

So ended up buying a cassette from The End of the World Championship, thanks GRUE(fucking autocorrecting making that "true")

Anyways, they also threw in another cassette for the hell of it and its actually pretty damn good

http://sacredphrases.bandcamp.com/album/anamnesis

check it out

edit: didn't realize Lawrence English masted End of the World Championship, really good job, makes it sound so complete

Edited by Danny O Flannagin

Kinda like this:

Tim Hecker?

Will second the ASC recommendation.

Absolutely my favourite ambient work. Only physical release is on cassette though, not really a format I have much desire to appreciate.

And oh yes Tim Hecker is amazing. Every album is so meticulously crafted, although I wasn't entirely taken by Virgins. I've heard he's looking to release another album this year, though.