IGNORED

Game of Thrones

data

i don't think it's as bad as all that.  i haven't read the books but apparently some of these character arcs are more in line w/the books. i agree 6 episodes seems not enough. still a good show imo. fun but also they sorta did some mass market holly wood type shit this season.. not to mention a few 'captain obvious' lazy things.  but killing lot's of stuff seems in line w/the author MO. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I read somewhere that GRRM wanted 10 seasons to do it justice but it seems DB & DW are bored and over GoT and want it DONE asap. Seems that's why GRRM has had nothing to do with it for seasons 7 & 8, washed his hands of it.

The white horse ending.. Nice for Shadowfax to play a role in this story as well. The "Lord of the Rings" animals will save the day ending. How cute. Not really a GOT thing, but hey. Does it even matter?

;p

On 5/3/2019 at 10:06 AM, Somanymachines said:

Clegane bowl with The Mountain getting the better of the Hound, and then the Hound appeasing to the inner Gregor in a flashback childhood scene, in which he becomes good and throws the onlooking Qyburn over the castle wall in some shit Darth Vader-esque moment.

I can't believe how nearly right I was about this, slighty wrong order and no flashback.

Seems like the whole aim of this season is to kill everyone and everything off, so there isn't any more story at all. Probably just Winterfell left at the end.

I thought the last few books were shit, Martin created a mess that I think the show has done a very good job of tidying up. I expected the heel turn but was still shocked at the extent of the destruction, almost felt tearful at one point. Fucking Varys knew what was going down. 

1 hour ago, goDel said:

The white horse ending.. Nice for Shadowfax to play a role in this story as well. The "Lord of the Rings" animals will save the day ending. How cute. Not really a GOT thing, but hey. Does it even matter?

?

that horse was an uber that bran sent for arya. 

satisfying episode overall. beautifully shot, too.

the chain of events was very much in tune with classic got imo. i agree pacing is the true big issue at this point

well and the white walker fiasco is still leaving some bad tase

and i'm baffled as to why exactly that is, since this is (or was) one of the most popular tv series of all time, one would think production companies would gladly stretch things out?

also makes all the kitsch-ass screen time from eps 1/2 for the WW fight build-up seem all the more wasted

oh well.

after some solid guesses i'm completely clueless again what the actual finale / outcome is concerned. feels good.

2 hours ago, Brisbot said:

Got up to season 4, but I've lost interest seeing as 1% of the internet likes the new season.

fuck that. the journey is the reward. on the other hand if you're not hooked by season 4 then i dunno anyway. 2 to including 4 are the easily the best seasons imo.

fuck that. the journey is the reward. on the other hand if you're not hooked by season 4 then i dunno anyway. 2 to including 4 are the easily the best seasons imo.

OH no no I was hooked season 1-4. Haven't started season 5. I will probably watch the rest eventually because I hear my fav. characters do still resemble the book characters in season 5. But I'm the type if I feel something is getting worse I'll just drop it.

I just know about the book/non-book divide in season 5 and am wary. I've watched great shows go under and what I'm saying is that I lost interest to continue into the non-book territory. Most of what I read about it is that it gets worse and worse. And I already know the conclusion with the ice king who turns out as a generic villain who was built up really well, and I don't wanna watch Tyrion who's my favorite character become someone else.

Many peeps are probably much more attached than I am to the show because they have been watching it for a decagon. I watched it for 3 weeks and am not attached in that way.

I'm not crapping on people liking the show in season 8 or anything, I think it's great if you do. I just know I wouldn't  like season 8 given the spoilers I know and what I understand of all the arcs GMM set up.

5 hours ago, Brisbot said:

OH no no I was hooked season 1-4. Haven't started season 5. I will probably watch the rest eventually because I hear my fav. characters do still resemble the book characters in season 5. But I'm the type if I feel something is getting worse I'll just drop it.

While the decline clearly starts around that point there are still plenty of highlights in seasons 5 and 6, just expect a general drop in dialogue quality as well as some silly stuffs (*cough*Dorne*cough*). Even 7 still holds some merit, at least the first half imo (I was pretty hard on it when it first aired, on second view it's not all that bad rly).

5 hours ago, Brisbot said:

Many peeps are probably much more attached than I am to the show because they have been watching it for a decagon. I watched it for 3 weeks and am not attached in that way.

As i see it said attachment is one of the main reasons for the hate train. Don't get me wrong: Season 8 deserves most of its critique no doubt, but lots of people are blowing shit up way out of proportion because of investment / apparently some weird sense of entitlement. I'd say if you're chill you really got nothing to lose. While the finale might be a let down that doesn't devalue the trip imo.

19 hours ago, Brisbot said:

I just know about the book/non-book divide in season 5 and am wary. I've watched great shows go under and what I'm saying is that I lost interest to continue into the non-book territory. Most of what I read about it is that it gets worse and worse. And I already know the conclusion with the ice king who turns out as a generic villain who was built up really well, and I don't wanna watch Tyrion who's my favorite character become someone else.

I'm not crapping on people liking the show in season 8 or anything, I think it's great if you do. I just know I wouldn't  like season 8 given the spoilers I know and what I understand of all the arcs GMM set up.

S5 definitely is the start of the slow decline (that accelerates like mad in s7-8) but there's moments of greatness throughout. Hardhome (S5E8) alone is worth watching that season, at least, and S6 is arguably a slight step up from 5.

last one could have been a good episode, but almost everything was wrong except the brutal dragon-rape-gore carnage that was so sick, horrifying and borderline tasteless that it left a real impression.

danerys' snap to insanity should have been more pronounced and developed within the episode. with a good enough effort from the actress they could have began the carnage with a very long static shot of her face that would relay the whole thing without words. i think she could have pulled it. and that could have been it, no other words would be needed for the rest of episode except cercei's.

the way the dragon simply destroyed all of the defenses was simply lame. last time she barely made it alive and lost a dragon, but this time she just mowed everything without any issue or change in tactics whatsoever. the pre-battle tension suffered from diminishing return, we got exactly the same thing in ep3 and it was much better conceived. the dany led carnage became some sort of a  background on which much more unimportant things were taking place. another pointless show of joe snow's heroism, a useless fight between the meathead bros (the big one looked cool though), another stupid quick time event sequence with arya - press square to avoid being crushed by rubble, press circle to dash from dragon fire. bleh. completely pointless fight of jimmy lanister with the pirate. the only decent thing was the way cercei died, uneventful and "just like that". i think it was a much more interesting way to off her instead of settings some elaborate overdramatized scene for it. and with all of that said, the aforementioned display of brutal carnage still made it stand out and break some of gots mechanical predictability of recent seasons.

i'd prefer cersei and jaime to actually succeeding in getting away alive. and basically go hide and have a baby. to leave open the potential of something happening in a future. even though the story is finished, you leave open a possibility for a revenge from the lannisters. could have been great, as it's safe to argue they'd be out of power in the immediate future, but it would still be open ended enough to keep the mystery.

1 hour ago, eugene said:

the only decent thing was the way cercei died, uneventful and "just like that". i think it was a much more interesting way to off her instead of settings some elaborate overdramatized scene for it.

1 hour ago, goDel said:

i'd prefer cersei and jaime to actually succeeding in getting away alive.

I agree, it was a great way of killing them off, total nihilistic GoT style (subverting fantasy tropes of heroicism etc.), and the fact that i actually rooted for them in the end ("i don't wanna die, not like this" ? ) like Gödel just reinforces my impression.

Like i said i do enjoy where things are going in the end, the mad queen etc., it's just layed out so incredibly poorly. Apparently BW were actually offered 10 eps by HBO but they went "nah we got dis", which they obviously didn't and it's quite a shame really. I could easily forgive even the clichéd hollywood kinda shit like ballistas going from hawkeye to imperial trooper from one ep to the next or Euron conveniently going ashore that very same time and place as Jamie passing by if at least they got the basics down and put at least some effort and TIME in convincing character development, alas...

Everything's told so weirdly sloppy now while at the same time being super polished in presentation terms. Pretty much the exact opposite of the seasons 1-3 when most of the battles where handled off-screen but it didn't even matter one bit as the actually interesting part was how those drove characters and plot forward.

1 hour ago, goDel said:

i'd prefer cersei and jaime to actually succeeding in getting away alive. and basically go hide and have a baby. to leave open the potential of something happening in a future. even though the story is finished, you leave open a possibility for a revenge from the lannisters. could have been great, as it's safe to argue they'd be out of power in the immediate future, but it would still be open ended enough to keep the mystery.

Fans would probably find that even more irritating. Incest aside, they are both horrible people; Cersei is deliberately cruel and disconnected, Jaime is inadvertently cruel and dumb to boot, and I would be throwing things at the teevee musheen if I had to watch an epilogue scene of those two coddling a newborn in Essos, without a single care, while the Aunt and Nephew Targaryens duke it out over who's the most altruistic.

As i see it said attachment is one of the main reasons for the hate train. Don't get me wrong: Season 8 deserves most of its critique no doubt, but lots of people are blowing shit up way out of proportion because of investment / apparently some weird sense of entitlement. I'd say if you're chill you really got nothing to lose. While the finale might be a let down that doesn't devalue the trip imo.

Well the hate train has come for every show that started out very  well and lost favor among many fans. Walking Dead. Dexter. Lost. The Office (kinda).....Happy Days. I mean I get it I've had shows drop off the radar that started out very well, and I was invested in the show and I'd be excited when it was going to drop for months beforehand.

I know what it's like to be a fan of something for 6 years for it to lost steam in its last year. There is a sense of ownership and yes entitlement like something is apart of you in a way when something is at it's best in its field in your mind.

And yeah it doesn't devalue the trip but that reminds me of that thing Tony said in Endgame "part of the journey is the end". Welp I don't think i've ever quoted a show to make a point but there it is.

S5 definitely is the start of the slow decline (that accelerates like mad in s7-8) but there's moments of greatness throughout. Hardhome (S5E8) alone is worth watching that season, at least, and S6 is arguably a slight step up from 5.

Yeah I know. I suppose it's commendable the writers managed to keep up the momentum for as long as they did after the books. I will eventually just watch thru season 8 probably. At that point there isn't much left considering the length.

Maybe I should have stopped after joffery died and pretended every chilled out afterward and lived happily ever after.

11 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

Walking Dead has been trash from the very beginning

lol fair enough. I like ridiculous shows like that though. I stopped did stop watching at season 3 .

(completely realising we're living in post-LOL WATMM with "likes", "thanks" and "haha" icons underneath posts)

I need some way to boost my confidence.

Archived