Development on the sequel to this sequel has already begun:http://io9.gizmodo.com/ridley-scott-already-has-a-script-ready-to-go-for-the-a-1793007316

Who & why designed the chest-burster?

It's just gonna be David because he developed some stupid god complex and views androids as the next bastard step in evolution. His stupid lab is pictured below.

And if this ain't right, it's gonna be something equally as stupid.Screen-Shot-2017-02-28-at-7.47.55-PM.jpg

OMG - you are probably right. If it turns out a human-created android created the Aliens we know as Aliens (Xenomorphs)... Ridley needs to just retire at this point, IMO.
Wouldn't that involve time travel? Also it would make it patently absurd that Weyland is funding missions to find something he already indirectly created.
How's time travel involved? Prometheus/Covenant takes place before the first Alien movie...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could totally be wrong, but I thought when they arrive on 223 in Prometheus and discovered the engineers that they were attacked and killed by some iteration of the xenomorphs evolutionary cycle, so assumed that process was already in place. Think I need to rewatch it

In Prometheus, the Engineers on 223 were killed 2000 years ago by their biological weapon (the black goo in the vases) - it never implied a xenomorph was what killed them; we see the 'birth' of the xenomorph at the end of Prometheus after the white squid-like creature impregnated the revived Engineer. Biological Weapon DNA + Human DNA + Engineer DNA = Xenomorph.

David infected the guy with the black goo, who then transferred the infection over to Fifth Element girl, who then had a C-Section that birthed squiddo.

The black goo also infected the worms living in the soil on 223, giving birth to that penis viper that killed the two guys left behind.

What someone said previously is the black goo takes on the traits of whatever host it infects.

The monster at the end of Prometheus is known as the "Deacon" and is more of a protomorph, than a xeno, maybe in Covenant we'll learn the genesis of the Xenos we know and love.

no, that's just a bunch of retconned nonsense courtesy of lindelof

edit: It's really mindblowing to me that Ridley Scott is so oblivious to what he himself created in the masterpiece that was Alien, it's like he doesn't understand the movie (or what was good about it) at all.

i don't think the first alien movie's success was to do with ridley scott's direction as much as it was a testament to dan o'bannon's script and hr giger's designs. the entire story basically revolves around the production design and is more or less an excuse to have giger's necronom iv to film

btw: anyone heard of the film life? i hate to spoil it for anyone, but it's basically alien (all over again)

Do we think this flick will do well enough for the sequel to get made?

unfortunately yes. i think it will do just like the new star wars movies: everyone will be very excited and go watch it. reviews will be mixed, then after a few months people will claim it wasn't good but be very excited to watch the next one with the hopes they "get it right this time" and then the cycle will repeat

Scotts direction is a big part of what drives alien. Think of the final two deaths as ripley runs through the nostromo and hears them dying on the overhead speaker.

Nobody needed a backstory for the alien. Its the cardinal sin of bad horror: explain your monster and they aren't scary anymore.

btw: anyone heard of the film life? i hate to spoil it for anyone, but it's basically alien (all over again)

alien and promtheus and gravity and the martian and red planet and whatnot

Scotts direction is a big part of what drives alien. Think of the final two deaths as ripley runs through the nostromo and hears them dying on the overhead speaker.

Nobody needed a backstory for the alien. Its the cardinal sin of bad horror: explain your monster and they aren't scary anymore.

Agreed.

Also Life looks like it might be good but seems a bit more of The Thing than Alien, but I'm almost definitely going to go see it no matter.

The original space jockey looks like it has arms at least 6 feet long, and I'd guess if it could stand would be bout 15-20 feet tall. That ain't no suit. It is also shown to have no demarcation between suit and body (as is shown in the original scene in Alien), implying there is no "big blue Trent Reznor looking dude in a suit" but instead either a huge weird biomechanoid alien or an alien fused fully into his ship like Giger states.

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Engineer Read the bit that Engineer DNA and human DNA are virtually the same. Or just watch Prometheus again because they state it.

I think it's more of Scott retconning the shit than Lindelof, but yeah, same shit. Scott's lost his mind.

You're nitpicking here (maybe that guy was just a bit taller than the other, already pretty tall, guy from prometheus), they're clearly basically the same thing, you can't say the original isn't a suit, it doesn't explain what it is. No point blaming Lindelof (he's just at fault for the shitty dialog and crappy characterisation), the Engineers as space jockey was in the original script (before Lindelof got involved) because that's what Ridley Scott always wanted it to be (according to him), he told them to write it that way (and no retcon because his explanation is as good as any other given what we're shown from the first two films). We share 96% or whatever of our DNA with chimpanzees, so being virtually identical to these guys isn't a big deal (prometheus just says there's a "DNA match", it doesn't go into details), also they do seem to have biomechanical attributes as well (weird vents and pipes and things, they seem to blend into their suits).

^I'm just gonna agree to disagree with you on that caze, to me and my eyes and the points I made, and my 30 years of being a fan, it seems like pure retcon bullshit. Maybe I'm biased.

I came here to post this though because wtf: http://www.alien-covenant.com/news/ridley-scott-reveals-title-the-next-alien-film-after-alien-covenant

"It will go Prometheus, Awakening, Covenant.. fairly integral where this colonization ship is on the way...." - Ridley fucking Scott

^I'm just gonna agree to disagree with you on that caze, to me and my eyes and the points I made, and my 30 years of being a fan, it seems like pure retcon bullshit. Maybe I'm biased.

I came here to post this though because wtf: http://www.alien-covenant.com/news/ridley-scott-reveals-title-the-next-alien-film-after-alien-covenant

"It will go Prometheus, Awakening, Covenant.. fairly integral where this colonization ship is on the way...." - Ridley fucking Scott

Dear god

also

Brilliant...

"I don't think three prequels truly serve the purpose of bridging into Alien. I feel shoehorning in three more movies serves as the proper way to fully tell and honor my intellectual property. Harrison Ford has signed on to star in the post-prequel prequels." - Sir Ridley

and then the alien bursts out of maximus. he falls to his knees and says "time...to die" and then tim curry rides a unicorn into mogadishu to save the army rangers. 

- ridley scott talking about his soft prequel to matchstick men

and then the alien bursts out of maximus. he falls to his knees and says "time...to die" and then tim curry rides a unicorn into mogadishu to save the army rangers. 

I was gonna post up the barmy news that I've just read about Ridley Scott is planning to make a sequel to Gladiator (he apparently knows how to bring him back from the dead), but I should of known watmm are quicker on the ball on these things than I am

he's lost the goddamn plot

Next film in the series rumored to be called Alien Awakening. At least until he changes it twice.

And according to Ridley himself it takes place between Prometheus and Covenant...

Next film in the series rumored to be called Alien Awakening. At least until he changes it twice.

And according to Ridley himself it takes place between Prometheus and Covenant...

or he's a 70 year old man who misspoke.

This is correct. All Engineer cast, subtitled movie. (It will explain how all the engineers got wiped out in covenant. We see their sea of bodies in covenant). It's a story that needs to be told.

or he's a 70 year old man who was miscast as Director for a film that should never have been considered in the first place.

F'eXt