With everything being said I'm still hyped for a good action/horror film, I'm sure Covenant Is gonna be one of the better films of the year. 

I don't want to watch that trailer.

But I do wanna see the movie.

Argheerughh I dunno,

don't watch the trailer. Hold out 

Fuuuu, i already watched it like 3 times

your thoughts?

I know sometimes the CGI hasn't been completed properly for trailers and I really fucking hope that's the case here. 

love the headbutting bit,it looks action packed as fuck,defo more aliens(cameron) than alien(scott),i reckon it could be decent

I'd rather have a coherent storyline with believable characters / motives.

My thoughts on the trailer:

Yeah it probably gives away too much of the plot (lol, plot)

But for comparison;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKSQmYUaIyE

This pretty much shows you everything about Aliens, including the Queen.

Still excited to see it, although I just generally hate it when trailers spoil key plot elements (we see here people who die, ships crashing etc... the same critique was applied to the prometheus trailer 110 pages ago). 

I like the sound design and music on the trailer.

Edited by fletcher

love the headbutting bit,it looks action packed as fuck,defo more aliens(cameron) than alien(scott),i reckon it could be decent

I'd rather have a coherent storyline with believable characters / motives.

My thoughts on the trailer:

Yeah it probably gives away too much of the plot (lol, plot)

But for comparison;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKSQmYUaIyE

This pretty much shows you everything about Aliens, including the Queen.

Still excited to see it, although I just generally hate it when trailers spoil key plot elements (we see here people who die, ships crashing etc... the same critique was applied to the prometheus trailer 110 pages ago). 

I like the sound design and music on the trailer.

yeah,me too but it probably aint happening unless maybe someone like villeneuve got involved?guess  we,ll see soon,hoping his shot at blade runner is successful

Edited by sunshine recorder

interstellar: corn and okra

the martian: potatoes

alien covenant: wheat

i love how for whatever reason, most aliens in hollywood sci-fi have such a maniacal need to kill humans. and our entire mission is usually to establish they exist, only to learn absolutely nothing about them (except that they want to kill us).

rinse, repeat ad infinitum

arrival?

also, people are suckers for cheap thrills and mindless action. don't blame hollywood for catering to the audience. they have to make some money as well.

Oh man before this trailer I was getting kinda psyched, but really not feeling this anymore. The CGI look like absolute horse shit. Feels like Avatar but with Aliens : / 

I'd put aside my feelings towards Prometheus and given Ridley Scott the benefit of the doubt but now I dunno 

I... just can't understand how people can say "the CGI looks terrible" - please, PLEASE - give me an example of what you think 'good' CGI looks like. I would love to have my mind blown.

With everything being said I'm still hyped for a good action/horror film, I'm sure Covenant Is gonna be one of the better films of the year. 

Well, at least you're willing to give it a chance, I guess.

I know sometimes the CGI hasn't been completed properly for trailers and I really fucking hope that's the case here. 

Again... examples, please!

Having the alien bouncing off walls like Yoda doesn't seem like a great idea.

They've been doing that wall-crawling thing in the other movies... hardly "bouncing off the walls like Yoda".

I think it looks fantastic - the only thing that might hold this movie back is poor character development/motivation (something Prometheus suffered from to a degree) or a weak plot. Still can be an enjoyable movie if the overall package is good though.

totally agree on the "cgi looks terrible" nonsense joyrex...seems like it's just what people say without really even thinking about it. standard comment on any movie someone thinks they don't like (without having seen it of course). another good one is "the cgi in the original jurassic park was better". i dunno, peeps just like saying stupid shit...probably a sign of getting old that it annoys us.

totally agree on the "cgi looks terrible" nonsense joyrex...seems like it's just what people say without really even thinking about it. standard comment on any movie someone thinks they don't like (without having seen it of course). another good one is "the cgi in the original jurassic park was better". i dunno, peeps just like saying stupid shit...probably a sign of getting old that it annoys us.

LOL, true - I just can't fathom how anyone these days can say most CGI looks bad - sure, there are examples of bad CGI (most of it though is blink and you'll miss it), but most of these movies, where there are multimillion dollar budgets, they work really, really hard to get things looking nearly perfect - they don't always succeed, of course, but most of the time it's more than acceptable.

I think these folks who are critical should pause the video, and look at a still frame - perhaps it's the motion that makes them think it is bad?

If you look at a shot and instantly know you're looking at CGI it's a fail as far as I'm concerned. If you just watch it without offering the effects in themselves any thought it's a success. I think this looks pretty good, except for the headbutting.

Its

Edited by Gocab

Oh man before this trailer I was getting kinda psyched, but really not feeling this anymore. The CGI look like absolute horse shit. Feels like Avatar but with Aliens : / 

I'd put aside my feelings towards Prometheus and given Ridley Scott the benefit of the doubt but now I dunno 

I... just can't understand how people can say "the CGI looks terrible" - please, PLEASE - give me an example of what you think 'good' CGI looks like. I would love to have my mind blown.

I thought Prometheus was on point with the graphics, looked amazing.

And for Covenant Some of It does look good, mainly the practical effects like the facehuggers and neomorphs. The giant xenomorph at the very end looks really bad In my opinion, but like tec said sometimes the CGI In trailers Is greatly improved upon by the time the films properly released. We shall see I suppose. 

People are always gonna be critical though, especially when It's an Alien film. The franchise means a lot to some people and for Ridley Scott to come back and completely tear up the rule book in terms of the Alien Mythology, It's a bitter pill to swallow. Big fans, me included are hoping he makes up for this with some great cinematography, interesting script and top notch CGI, but right now, It's not doing It for me. 

Maybe Yoda was a bit hyperbolic, but I've just never liked the CG aliens. They've always seemed really cartoony and un-menacing to me. Especially post-AvP.

i love how for whatever reason, most aliens in hollywood sci-fi have such a maniacal need to kill humans. and our entire mission is usually to establish they exist, only to learn absolutely nothing about them (except that they want to kill us).

rinse, repeat ad infinitum

Aliens are a biological weapon, according to Weyland

I still want to know if aliens eat tho... does the acid in their blood function as some kind of bio-battery? If so, do they ever run out of energy?

If you look at a shot and instantly know you're looking at CGI it's a fail as far as I'm concerned. If you just watch it without offering the effects in themselves any thought it's a success.

This is totally the definition of bad and good CGI. Most of the bad stuff is easily detectable due to lack of depth to the virtual character/monster/set, or weird differences in perspective / focal lengths / unrealistic movements during panning. Pretty sure Limmy had a recent Twitter rant about some CGI blood in a film not having enough motion blur, so was instantly detectable.

I think another benchmark for CGI should be - whether it looks worse as time goes on. If CGI in any film is deemed amazing (in terms of being indistinguishable from 'real'), then surely it should still be indistinguishable a year, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years later.