IGNORED

autechre - ts1a

kaini

Just listening to the track again. I really can't stand it. Four minutes in, and i haven't heard one single bit i'd want to relisten to. It's like they are taking the "flutter" theme and applying it to four different layers simultaneously. It's an absolute mess. I felt the same way (and still do) about Qplay, but this is just too much. What is the point of a track like this?

To me this sounds like they took the worst aspects of the oversteps set, pieced them together (in no apparent cohesive order) and then ran them through an ep7 filter. It's just dull.

:facepalm:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just listening to the track again. I really can't stand it. Four minutes in, and i haven't heard one single bit i'd want to relisten to. It's like they are taking the "flutter" theme and applying it to four different layers simultaneously. It's an absolute mess. I felt the same way (and still do) about Qplay, but this is just too much. What is the point of a track like this?

To me this sounds like they took the worst aspects of the oversteps set, pieced them together (in no apparent cohesive order) and then ran them through an ep7 filter. It's just dull.

:facepalm:

I completely agree, though the ending part starts to cohere into something better.

I have to say that I'm quite into this track, it takes a bit to get going but worth it for the second half. Certainly floats my boat much more than 6582 which just felt under-developed.

i'm just very certain that the same people saying that they can't get into this track, in about a years time, will be all over it like it were some awesome ambrosia or something.

happens every single time.

If that happens, so be it. Either way, i had a genuine full-blown headache after trying to listening to that track properly last night, so i'm not willing to give it enough spins for it to grow. It's a cacophonic, laborious prick-tease of a track and i'm having nothing to do with it.

And Qplay sounds like they took a gorgeous track, set the swing up to 80% and button bashed with all of the tracks muted.

Sounds to me like something straight from their oversteps tour setup - pretty raw and unpolished, probably the closest to a soundboard recording we're going to get from this era.

Thing is, I'm just not too keen on 7/8 tracks - it's a time signature that just seems to take the 'swing' out of almost any piece of music (though maybe just 'cos it's been overused in too many mediocre venetian snares amen workouts). Can anyone think of any really good 7/8 tracks? None spring to mind...

Yeah I know what you mean. If your brain isn't in Autechre Mode, then it won't happen.

Even then if your brain is in Autechre Mode, it might not happen.

Sometimes you have to be in that Autechre Ninja mode, to get it.

And that's hard work sometimes.

truth

I love it, crazy 7/4 beats and got a proper club vibe to it!

Thing is, I'm just not too keen on 7/8 tracks - it's a time signature that just seems to take the 'swing' out of almost any piece of music (though maybe just 'cos it's been overused in too many mediocre venetian snares amen workouts). Can anyone think of any really good 7/8 tracks? None spring to mind...

375838-street-fighter-iv-windows-screenshot-time-to-fight-s.jpg

Sounds to me like something straight from their oversteps tour setup - pretty raw and unpolished, probably the closest to a soundboard recording we're going to get from this era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhX5W7JoWI

and I think you mean 7/4, no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhX5W7JoWI

and I think you mean 7/4, no?

Oh yeah, that's quite a good one...

I think what helps with the Pink Floyd track is that you've got a fairly standard melody & chord progression going on which 'ties the track together' quite nicely - when a track's a bit more stripped down it starts to sound a bit 'untethered' in 7/4 IMO, annoyingly random unless you're actually counting the beats, for me it's the quickest way to lose any 'funkiness' from an electronic track - probably the effect ae were going for but it never really works for me.

Still, with ae tracks you never know - maybe I'll be raving about it as the best thing ever in about 2 months or so.

I thought of one other 7/4 track I like, but once again you've got a fairly strong melodic line holding it together:

Guest NathanCaldecott

I dunno, some days I get this track, tonight its missed me. "6852" is currently winning for ae 2011 track of the year accolate for me.

Definitely. Ts1a sounds like a longer mix of something from the Oversteps/MoT era, wheras 6852 sounds completely different, for me it has much more of the "Autechre pureness" that I didn't find as much with Oversteps/MoT. I certainly hope that it was done after MoT and not before (it does have an edge of Quaristice about it), if it is I am certainly looking forward to their new work!

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno, some days I get this track, tonight its missed me. "6852" is currently winning for ae 2011 track of the year accolate for me.

Definitely. Ts1a sounds like a longer mix of something from the Oversteps/MoT era, wheras 6852 sounds completely different, for me it has much more of the "Autechre pureness" that I didn't find as much with Oversteps/MoT. I certainly hope that it was done after MoT and not before (it does have an edge of Quaristice about it), if it is I am certainly looking forward to their new work!

totally agreed, i kind of am sad that the Quaristice era in some sense seems to have dissipated so quickly. Moves of Ten and Oversteps finds them getting much more into a formula approach, a formula i'm not super fond of. Much prefer them to return to the grab bag/unpredictable song to song feel aesthetic of Quaristice

6852 is stronger than almost every track on either Oversteps and Moves of Ten with the exception of a few amazing cuts

it's the opposite for me, i thought it was lame until tonight and now i love it. for me it is better than 6852 because it seems more focused and less ramble-y if that makes sense.

merely pointless speculation, but is the BBC track Booth+Brown+(Calix?)

i'm notoriously unreliable at spotting this sort of thing but it stuck out to me tonight.

i'm notoriously unreliable at spotting this sort of thing but it stuck out to me tonight.

according to the ICASEA artist page, BBC is NHKyx and 5K3K51

5K3K51 = one of the guys from team doyobi if i'm not mistaken

edit: just got the Dark Crystal reference in the name too, nice!

according to the ICASEA artist page, BBC is NHKyx and 5K3K51

5K3K51 = one of the guys from team doyobi if i'm not mistaken

edit: just got the Dark Crystal reference in the name too, nice!

Think that may have gone over my head, what's the reference?

Archived