IGNORED

Skrillex - Discuss, Debate, Praise, Hate

YEK

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a friend that teaches some type of audio class in Art Institute in San Bernardino, CA. He tells me that all of his students that are 18 to 20 years old are really into skrillex and the rest are into various other types of electronic music with a couple of IDMers as well. As you can imagine, there are always discussions and head butting in that class. He wants me to be a guest speaker in his class but I really wouldn't know what to say. I guess he thinks I have something of importance to say since I've been into electronic music since I was 9 (1981).

He also told me that the younger crowd in his class has no interest in other forms of electronic music and doesn't care about the origins of dubstep and the history of electronic music or other forms of music in general. All they care about is the the "Sludge" basslines and the drops. He told me that they are stubborn and most narrow minded in his class. But that really goes with age. I'm sure most of us in our late teens liked something that was just as crappy.

I have a friend that teaches some type of audio class in Art Institute in San Bernardino, CA. He tells me that all of his students that are 18 to 20 years old are really into skrillex and the rest are into various other types of electronic music with a couple of IDMers as well. As you can imagine, there are always discussions and head butting in that class. He wants me to be a guest speaker in his class but I really wouldn't know what to say. I guess he thinks I have something of importance to say since I've been into electronic music since I was 9 (1981).

He also told me that the younger crowd in his class has no interest in other forms of electronic music and doesn't care about the origins of dubstep and the history of electronic music or other forms of music in general. All they care about is the the "Sludge" basslines and the drops. He told me that they are stubborn and most narrow minded in his class. But that really goes with age. I'm sure most of us in our late teens liked something that was just as crappy.

They could really appreciate older electronic music, whether it be purely experimental or genres like techno, or glitch, or dubstep if they knew how much those did to develop the kind of sounds that allow Skrillex to make his tracks now. You're bound to turn some on to other (and better) electronic music. I've met a few people IRL and online who've gone from brostep/EDM to broader tastes and appreciate where that sound came from, but they're the ones actually interested in music itself, not just drops and wobbles. Still, if some are too bored to listen to an interesting lecture about the how the music is made then fuck them, they're just assholes after all.

I dunno, maybe it's just age sweetening memory, but I seem to recall wanting to soak everything up like a sponge at that age. Well, everything except my dad's lame attempts to turn me into a Jamesgang proselyte (though I did love his JMJ, Pink Floyd, Morton Subotnick, Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock records...). I didn't really get into hip hop until I was well into my 20s though. Otherwise, I bought and listened to just about anything new and different I could get my hands on.

Sounds like those kids need some musique concrète.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XfeWp2y1Lk

where's the drop?

"Where is the drop?", "abstract, random patterns you can't dance to" ... what's the fucking difference?? i love double standars.

the only people comparing rdj to stockhausen were bored music journalists desperate for an angle, though.

They could really appreciate older electronic music, whether it be purely experimental or genres like techno, or glitch, or dubstep if they knew how much those did to develop the kind of sounds that allow Skrillex to make his tracks now. You're bound to turn some on to other (and better) electronic music. I've met a few people IRL and online who've gone from brostep/EDM to broader tastes and appreciate where that sound came from, but they're the ones actually interested in music itself, not just drops and wobbles. Still, if some are too bored to listen to an interesting lecture about the how the music is made then fuck them, they're just assholes after all.

He just called me a bit ago and told me that he played January by Venetian Snares in a lecture and those kids said that it wasn't hard enough and boring. He played Flim by Aphex after what I told them about it being Sonny's favorite track and those same kids were like "this is too mellow and boring". Then he played a skrillex track and before he started playing the track he asked them to point out what they like about it. The drop happened and they all stood up and was like "That right there! The Drop!" When all that stuttering and Sludgy bass was going on the other people stepped out of the class and came back in when it was safe.

He told me that it seemed like there was no getting through to them. That they like stuff in your face and that all other elements they don't care about. He begged me to come talk to them... I told him no.

Sounds like those kids need some musique concrète.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XfeWp2y1Lk

where's the drop?

"Where is the drop?", "abstract, random patterns you can't dance to" ... what's the fucking difference?? i love double standars.

the only people comparing rdj to stockhausen were bored music journalists desperate for an angle, though.

I know, but there are plenty of AFX parrots posting on this thread.

I dunno, maybe it's just age sweetening memory, but I seem to recall wanting to soak everything up like a sponge at that age. Well, everything except my dad's lame attempts to turn me into a Jamesgang proselyte (though I did love his JMJ, Pink Floyd, Morton Subotnick, Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock records...). I didn't really get into hip hop until I was well into my 20s though. Otherwise, I bought and listened to just about anything new and different I could get my hands on.

Same here. I was into Public Enemy, Depeche Mode, Morrissey, and House Music when I was 18 - 20!

Guest Backson

He just called me a bit ago and told me that he played January by Venetian Snares in a lecture and those kids said that it wasn't hard enough and boring. He played Flim by Aphex after what I told them about it being Sonny's favorite track and those same kids were like "this is too mellow and boring". Then he played a skrillex track and before he started playing the track he asked them to point out what they like about it. The drop happened and they all stood up and was like "That right there! The Drop!" When all that stuttering and Sludgy bass was going on the other people stepped out of the class and came back in when it was safe.

He told me that it seemed like there was no getting through to them. That they like stuff in your face and that all other elements they don't care about. He begged me to come talk to them... I told him no.

wow, that sounds painful.

In the end it's just personal taste though. Just because you like something doesn't mean you have to trace its origins back to the beginning of the genre and enjoy that as well. e.g. I think Bob Dylan sucks but there's no doubt he influenced other artists who I listen to regularly.

^ well put.

i think it is more the attitude of the typical skrillex fan than the actual act of listening to the same gimmick over and over, plus it is not even like skrillex even invented a sound or anything.

Modey: that does make sense in a lot of ways. I'm sure Puffy's fans didn't go seek out Led Zepplin after he sampled them in a track. But Sonny's influences lie in electronic music. He in ways is trying to educate his listeners by name dropping some of our favorites. They aren't listening as you can see in that FB thread and in my friend's class.

I grew up wanting to know origins of certain things I like and I know many people that are like that. I don't know many who don't. But I'm not going to educate anyone if they are not willing to learn. That's why I told him no. Their minds are already made up, there is nothing else they want to know.

Plus, all I know about Sonny is his back history. I've only heard about 30 seconds of a track of his. Quickly turned it off and said it wasn't for me.

I'm not sure which thought is more depressing/lol, that that's a fat dude in his 40s who likes Skrillex (enough to go to a Skrillex concert (in Skrillex cosplay)), or that that's a fat dude in his 40s who donned Skrillex regalia in a last-ditch effort to make out with stoned hipster chicks half his age.

also part twooooooo

Same here. I was into Public Enemy, Depeche Mode, Morrissey, and House Music when I was 18 - 20!

In the end it's just personal taste though. Just because you like something doesn't mean you have to trace its origins back to the beginning of the genre and enjoy that as well. e.g. I think Bob Dylan sucks but there's no doubt he influenced other artists who I listen to regularly.

^ well put.

i think it is more the attitude of the typical skrillex fan than the actual act of listening to the same gimmick over and over, plus it is not even like skrillex even invented a sound or anything.

Yeah I was obsessed with music in college, even managed to take enough music history courses it became my minor. I know what I like more than ever and likewise have become a bit more set in my listening habits. My days of obsessively listening to new genres and reading up on their background, even if I didn't much like the music itself, are past me now,they made me appreciate music more than ever. For example, I feel the same why about Bob Dylan as well. Hate his music, but found what he accomplished, as well as his personality, really fasicinating. Likewise I don't find myself really hating any particular artist or genre anymore, because it's a waste of time and energy.

The Skrillex fans/superficial students are frustrating but it's nothing new. I totally understand your decline to speak with that crowd. You see such attitudes all the time with top youtube comments on certain videos, e.g. "Justin Beiber sucks" "Music used to be great in the [insert decade here]" "Thumbs up if you like REAL Hip-Hop "This was when real music was on the radio," etc. You can find baby boomers who are convinced that bands they saw stoned in the late 60s were Gods on Earth, and will never branch out beyond that because in their mind nothing will be as awesome. It's that select sentimental value people place that's reaffirmed by shitty Time-Life box set compilations, endless reissues, and the inclusion of the same fucking Motown songs in family film trailers. The digital age is going to dilute it by making it harder to, say, associate a certain summer with a hit song, but it will definitely continue the narrow-minded tendencies of many. Others either have complete apathy to music or come to forums like this explore it.

Did the teenage plebs who collectively worshipped Eminem a few years ago ever bother listening to PE, EPMD, MC Shan or Just Ice etc.....??? Or other forms or "black" music like Donnie Hathaway, Kleeer or Kashif ?

I can see that it's fun to take the piss out of that Darlene from Roseanne dude but crying cause babies like baby music for 50 pages is a bit boring...

Why doesn't he just blast the beginning of Augmatic Disport or something stupid aggressive by Aaron. They're won't like that sort of "in your face." I don't understand how any vast group of people can be so amused by "the drop" when it happens every song within the same time frame with a similar build up. It doesn't even seem to be a matter of loudness or whatever, but just that it's "fat as fuck, yo" or something. They're the same people that claim they like bassy shit, but don't like things like Dirty Pixie by Clark.

I'm pretty sure those people prefer the sound of a modem dialing up to anything made by our beloved subforum artists.

Archived