IGNORED

The Most Underrated / Overrated Music

Redruth

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but if there was no Sgt. Pepper's then there wouldn't be [most likely at least half of your all-time favorite records].

Bit of an overstatement?

some guy from my class stated the same thing about Elvis...

makes me wonder where would i be sitting if that guy hadn't invented chairs...

Guest crowder

ha, well said.

i don't think i agree though. someone else would invent the chair, sure - but at a different time, in a different context, and the effects may be subtle at first but far-reaching.

i think bob dylan is massively overrated.

he's the greatest songwriter imo, but I understand why people don't love him as much as I.

listen to the words (perhaps not the music or voice) of masters of war, a hard rains gonna fall, ballad of hollis brown, mr tamborine man, desolation row, my back pages and with god on our side (etc etc etc etc) and tell me he's overrated...

musics about feelings, white people...

yeah let's use this kind of art, called music, to express our frustrated social feelings, oh, and while we're on it, let's be famous and make some money...

thats the most cynical thing I think I've ever read in my life.....

are you serious or taking the piss? I can't tell (not that I really give a flying fuck)

Guest crowder

he's the greatest songwriter imo, but I understand why people don't love him as much as I.

listen to the words (perhaps not the music or voice) of masters of war, a hard rains gonna fall, ballad of hollis brown, mr tamborine man, desolation row, my back pages and with god on our side (etc etc etc etc) and tell me he's overrated...

he's another like the beatles, too. very influential. he was considered the voice of his generation. in fact, "it ain't me babe" was written as his refusal to be the symbolic leader of the 1960s counter-culture.

(edit for brain fart)

he's another like the beatles, too. very influential. he was considered the voice of his generation. in fact, "it ain't me babe" was written as his refusal to be the symbolic leader of the 1960s counter-culture.

Elvis changed culture in a huge huge way.

Guest murphythecat8

most underated artist in the electronica scene is Kettel without a doubt. he is my favorite artist of all time, no matter the genre yet, he is completely ignored.

most overrated in here, autechre.

Kettel is fun times for sure. Autechre are too. Took me a couple of years to really appreciate Autechre if I'm honest and 50% of their work bores me The other 50% is epic!

I think Yimino are a tad underrated

Guest murphythecat8

If you don't "appreciate" (read: understand) The Beatles' contribution to the world of music (yes, all of it) then IMO you are under-educated on the matter.

Actually I take that back...not "IMO"...it's an objective demonstrable fact.

And yeah if you don't like them then that's another thing and that's fine but if there was no Sgt. Pepper's then there wouldn't be [most likely at least half of your all-time favorite records].

agree. You cannot dislike the beatles. and if you do, well you are undereducated towards the band.

I cannot beleive anyone sitting down, listening to the White album, Abbey Road, and Revolver and still say they dont like the beatles.

Guest murphythecat8

Kettel is fun times for sure. Autechre are too. Took me a couple of years to really appreciate Autechre if I'm honest and 50% of their work bores me The other 50% is epic!

I think Yimino are a tad underrated

kettel is fun! Okay, thats a way to put it. I think that he is beyond anyone musically speaking in the EDM genre. But if you have only listened to his recent stuff 2007 to today, yeah I guess you can call him fun. But if you listen to the 2001 to 2005 kettel, he is a genius. flat out genius. The most genius artist I have heard imo, of course.

In my head he's fun in the same way as Plaid and Ochre. I love them both btw.

It's just a word i broadly use to describe his music. He makes great melodies and really has his own style

Guest murphythecat8

In my head he's fun in the same way as Plaid and Ochre. I love them both btw.

It's just a word i broadly use to describe his music. He makes great melodies and really has his own style

and in my head, to compare ochre or plaid to kettel is problematic. its just not true. kettel is on other plane of goodness. plaid and ochre are quite boring besides a couple os songs each.

Take some magic mushrooms, and then compare the three together. no in fact, take magic mushroom, and compare any artist you know, any artist you love, and compare it to kettel, no one stand a chance, at least for me and my friends.

Even aphex twin doesnt hold a candle to kettel imo.

to add on the overated

radiohead

beck

flaming lips

OK Murphy. I get that you like Kettel. You even pm'ed me about it after I commented on the 'When Can' thread. I replied and recommended some albums. You never responded. Did you check any of them out?

Even if you didn't it would have been polite to reply.

I think you are Kettel!

Guest murphythecat8

lol, no im not kettel, I wish. but god damn, I did mescaline yesterday, and again, me and my best friend, we listen to music all day long, and again, when we try to listen to our favorite artist, we cant: its only kettel that kills us every time. its so good, its unbelievable. so touching, so superior to everything else I know. not superior, but its a damn world he is creating. We then put coltrane, and the two are maybe the only artist that really are on that level of excellence, imo. Kettel makes beautiful music, where most of EDM is not really beautiful, its a big show, a big contest of who's having the best sound.

Sorry for not responding to your mail, I had asked a lot of people, I probably listened to your recommendation though!

I am surprised that you find Plaid boring, given that they share a similar aesthetic to Kettel in terms of the melody being very much to the fore. Youtube the following and come back here and tell me that Plaid are boring:

Headspin

Marry

To

Hydrosphere

Dang Spot

Mfaus

Stills

Coat

etc. etc. They have so many great tracks

Guest murphythecat8

I am surprised that you find Plaid boring, given that they share a similar aesthetic to Kettel in terms of the melody being very much to the fore. Youtube the following and come back here and tell me that Plaid are boring:

Headspin

Marry

To

Hydrosphere

Dang Spot

Mfaus

Stills

Coat

etc. etc. They have so many great tracks

oh no! I LOVE plaid, but compared to kettel, everything is boring! But its true that imo, plaid is the closest in terms of style with kettel, but kettel is much much more verstaile when you listen to all he ever did. He has like around 130 songs if I'm not mistaken. every year is different with kettel. 2001 is so different then 2004, its crazy. he is the artist that changed the most imo in his career. he has done so much different music, its crazy.

Its like, I LOVE jackie Mclean, but can you compare it to Coltrane, nope, not even close. thats how I feel about KEttel vs plaid.

Guest zaphod

i once sat down and listened to the white album, abbey road and revolver and then turned to my buddy and said "i don't like the beatles"

"no"

Guest zaphod

people always say this, but i don't like his lyrics. he just sounds like someone trying hard to sound deep. i don't really like lyrics in general though. they're almost always secondary to the music for me, and dylan's music basically uniformly sucks dick.

Archived