IGNORED

The Most Underrated / Overrated Music

Redruth

Guest zaphod

someone honestly thinks pet sounds is underrated? lol

"post-pet sounds"

ah, ok, that makes more sense. there's a few good songs in there. til i die and surf's up are maybe the best things they recorded.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overrated

Oval (the new stuff only- never got into the Oh / O era)

I can't think of anyone who really got that excited about the newer stuff.

On the other hand, I would put Popp's older stuff, from the late 90s-early 00s as pretty underrated. I mean, listen to these! Microstoria Runtime Engine is transcendentally beautiful.

Guest murphythecat8

i'm not sure if i care about technical ability, i just find his voice grating. but honestly it's the combo of "deep" lyrics, shambling instrumentation, his voice, and then the fact that i watched don't look back and he seemed like a complete prick. i also saw him play live and he was fucking awful. one of the worst live shows i've ever been to.

van dyke parks - underrated

you want to talk about pet sounds, listen to song cycle. i think all of his stuff is superior to the beach boys output.

I'm only talking about Dylan's first 3 or 4 albums. I'm not talking about his stream-of-conscious electric stuff. I don't care about anything after The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan really.

I was listening to this tonight, made me think of this thread. IMO, this is the best all along the watchtower cover ive heard. I even prefer this version, which is clearly the best version that hedges ever did, more then jimi hendrix version of the song. Anyone who doesnt know micheal hedges, he was kinda popular among classical guitar player. Hes quite amazing technically, but sometimes boring However, when he hit the spot, hes quite amazing..

Michael Hedges is/was clearly one of the most underated modern guitarist artist of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Y44v63dNU

am i though? please elaborate!

Goblin rulez

yes, that's a fact!

could you point me out some underrated prog/psy rock bands that i should check out? i'm probably missing a lot since i mostly

listen to the overrated ones...

am i though? please elaborate!

Goblin rulez

yes, that's a fact!

could you point me out some underrated prog/psy rock bands that i should check out? i'm probably missing a lot since i mostly

listen to the overrated ones...

I mean I'm only familiar with the obvious stuff: Can, King Crimson, Magma, The Ruins, etc

Yo MJ. You gotta hear Amon Duul II. Their albums Yeti and Tanz Der Lemminge will strike your fancy I reckon.

I mean I'm only familiar with the obvious stuff: Can, King Crimson, Magma, The Ruins, etc

well i'm only familiar with king crimson from that list... will check the others.

Yo MJ. You gotta hear Amon Duul II. Their albums Yeti and Tanz Der Lemminge will strike your fancy I reckon.

will do, thanks!

will do, thanks!

Nah, don't leave Amon Düül in the original setup out of it. It's worth to be heard as well and offers (in my opinion) the better music.

i think bob dylan is massively overrated.

:cisfor:

I can see how he was influential. Yadda yadda.

Still. Everyone sucks his cock over everything he does. Not entirely warranted, IMO.

Bola might be the most boring music I've ever heard.

wuuuh no way

Soup and Kroungrine are amazing

overrated: a popular band/musician

underrated: some obscure band/musician that no one's ever heard of but who you feel has been critical in the development of some musical innovation or scene/genre and is therefore unfairly ignored by history and the masses in spite of their obvious talent and ingenuity

overrated: overrated bands/artists

underrated: underrated bands/artists

(IMO)

underrated: some obscure band/musician that no one's ever heard of but who you feel has been critical in the development of some musical innovation or scene/genre and is therefore unfairly ignored by history and the masses in spite of their obvious talent and ingenuity

(IMO)

overrated: underrated bands/artists

underrated: overrated bands/artists

I'm actually half kidding. Sometimes I think "You know, fuck it, bands like Coldplay and Arcade Fire are popular for reason," or I think "Is anyone brave enough to say that Drexciya or Scorn are meh." Now I actually don't feel that way as convictions, but I do make myself take a contrarian view as often as possible.

Some people don't question their personal love or hatred for certain things enough, to the point of delusion, I've been guilty of it myself when I was younger. I've literally played a track to a friend of an artist they hated, and they actually enjoyed the song until I revealed the artist. They were like "well, this song is okay." I think a healthy amount of this needs to be injected within the music journalism community, especially the more influential and major outlets. Certain music is no longer underrated or obscure if it's been blogged about by dozens of outlets and name-checked for years by popular producers. I can't pinpoint a specific example, but sometimes there seem to be trends where everyone seemingly hypes some old diamond-in-the-rough release at the same time.

(IMO)

overrated: underrated bands/artists

underrated: overrated bands/artists

I'm actually half kidding. Sometimes I think "You know, fuck it, bands like Coldplay and Arcade Fire are popular for reason," or I think "Is anyone brave enough to say that Drexciya or Scorn are meh." Now I actually don't feel that way as convictions, but I do make myself take a contrarian view as often as possible.

Some people don't question their personal love or hatred for certain things enough, to the point of delusion, I've been guilty of it myself when I was younger. I've literally played a track to a friend of an artist they hated, and they actually enjoyed the song until I revealed the artist. They were like "well, this song is okay." I think a healthy amount of this needs to be injected within the music journalism community, especially the more influential and major outlets. Certain music is no longer underrated or obscure if it's been blogged about by dozens of outlets and name-checked for years by popular producers. I can't pinpoint a specific example, but sometimes there seem to be trends where everyone seemingly hypes some old diamond-in-the-rough release at the same time.

Great point.

Archived