IGNORED

The Most Underrated / Overrated Music

Redruth

76ix under rated, nathan fake under rated (his newest album), kettel under rated(my dogan is amazing), wisp under rated (cmon reid all these other artists gave us something this year)

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve Hauschildt's Sequitur album is seriously underrated.

Funny, I finally just got "Tragedy and Geometry" two days ago, and I came here to see if anyone mentioned him. It's a very solid album, and I don't see him mentioned nearly as often as he should. I'm going to check out Sequitur soon (and I saw he has something coming out on Mego in the near future).

Yeah man, he makes some awesome shit, definitely doesn't get the attention he deserves here.

I actually like his solo stuff more than Emeralds.

I agree that Hauschildt's solo works are better than "Just to Feel Anything" (which I still liked, actually), but "Does it Look Like I'm Here?" resonated so well with me, I suppose in part because I was blind sighted by it--I hadn't heard anything about it, but just saw the 2-LP version in the "experimental noise" section of my local record shop. I loved the cover so much that I thought the music would be worth the investment, and I was pleasantly surprised. So what I'm getting at is this: I fully recognize that my personal experience affects my view of Emeralds, and that that might not be the most objective stance for comparing Emeralds to the solo work of McGuire, Hauschildt or Elliott. I recuse myself, your honor.

That said, I also picked up "Mist - House" (Elliott's effort with another friend). It's also quite good and deserves more attention. It kinda reminds me of that Forma release ("On/Off") I started a thread for and no one joined with me. I'm dead serious, guys; you should check out that Forma thing.

I've just realized how I've been underrating Tortoise in my usual rotation.

That ends now.

Man, such gorgeous music.

I've just realized how I've been underrating Tortoise in my usual rotation.

That ends now.

Man, such gorgeous music.

Tortoise used to be my favorite band in the universe.

Johnny Mac was 33.% percent of the reason I took up jazz drumming when i was in high school

I still love TNT and Standards, but I don't insta-cream over their entire ouvre anymore

Glad to see someone else big upping TNT and Standards. Total masterpieces. I like Millions Now Living, but not really sure why it's arbitrarily chosen as their best album. They were still getting warmed up at that point. I'm looking forward to the next album. I read they started recording it this year.

I'm totally underrated. I listen to thousands of internet musics and pop tracks a day, and I'm often like, "Fuck brah- I can write this shit in my sleep, and whilst awake. And I have. Like, I wrote Macarena and didn't get any credit for that, and people are pretending that two Mexicans wrote it; not some Japanese dude-- this, is disinformation. Macarena is about as Japanese as sushi and Bulgarian Africans." It also helps me to be underrated, by nobody even hearing my music, because I prolly don't get it to them to listen to. But just because there's an explanation, it doesn't mean it explains anything.

I think the best thing about being overly popular and even overrated, is that if you have the freedom to express what you sincerely believe in, you're gonna reach the most people, and if what you believe in is true IDMz Lazer- which is the only system of living that can be expressed without a basis in fear- then you will benefit humanity as fast as possible. Unfortunately, nobody who can reach 10 million ears a second (approx 5 million people; taking into account one-eared folk)- 10 million ears a second, cares fuck shit anything IDM or anything Lazer or anything that they'd be willing to get into the octagon with Zeus over, and that's what's ruining this world. We got people who genuinely care and have Ultra to spread to the masses, and their main fans are regulated to about 13 dyudez and like 5 womenz. Then the rest of the world is apparently addicted to and worshiping being fucking retarded; I'm not talking about Down's Syndrome-- I'm talking about using intelligence to blind the self and wishfully and willfully live lies, and ultimately buy into a program that might give you a handjob or quick fuck in the alley, but it's not gonna feed your heart or soul. Then when Zeus comes down and asks them what they believe in, they will be exploded by lightning, just as their middle finger flipping furiously in the air, realizes that maybe the person connected to said middle finger wasn't as cool and badass as they thought. You don't give the finger to Zeus, and all these fucks think they can do that after a few beers, after being enlightened by the news, or after reading some article about a clit and then discovering they understand the universe.

Unfortunately, there are many people who are in the middle path, between the Shitz and the IDMz, and these people are the ones who suffer. They cannot be blamed for feeling what everyone around them feels, because that is the nature of energy and harmonic influence. Zeus will take care of the fucks, but it is the IDM Warrior'z mission- purpose and privilege- to Enlighten those who are lost. The lost are not the enemy-- they are the potential phuture soldiers of the Ultimate Cosmic Forces-- they are the ones who can end underrated-ness in all aspects of life-- they are the ones who can finalize the Unification of Consciousness. They are the holders of the final key-- not the IDM Masterz.

Overrated:
Daft Punk (i dont even)
Richie Hawtin (There was a time, but 2013 is his downfall)
Paul Kalkbrenner (He has some good tunes, but i don't get how overhyped he is. It's probably just because he stars in a movie.)
William Basinski (Yes, Disintegration Loops were great, but i think alot of his fame comes from the backstory)
Kettel (Maybe it's just that i don't understand his music)
Shigeto (i don't understand his music)
Elvis (Sinatra exceeds him in every aspect)

Rated exactly right:
Grimes (She has fame and her music is OK and something different i guess, but far from genius)
Skrillex (Yes, he has alot of fame, but his music is better than his fans and he should get a haircut.)
Deadmou5 (Well, it's Pop-Music and he has a fucking mask, so what can i say..)
Joanna Newsom (Not that i really care..)
Stockhausen (His fame is justified)
Trentemoller (I think his fame is mostly justified)
Anthony Rother (Great in theory. But quickly boring)
Venetian Snares (He makes genius, then he makes shit, then he makes genius again)

Underrated:
Trajcet (i totally agree with Redruth)
The Flashbulb (i agree with Recently Joined. Everyone looks stupid with a guitar, but Benn has talent)
Andrea Parker (Still, one of my personal favorites)
Tipper (He should be topping all the charts)
Richard Devine (Technically proficient A+ student)
Murcof (Highest Quality Music)
Alva Noto (maybe they are just misunderstood)
Ceephax (Maybe not on WATMM, but he is still regarded as the little brother)
Muslimgauze (rip)
Access To Arasaka (i didn't even know his stuff since about a year ago)
Hecq (same)
Welle:Erdball ;)
This guy: http://www.kahvi.org/artist_info.php?nickname=Stud

Elvis (Sinatra exceeds him in every aspect)

Rated exactly right:

Grimes (She has fame and her music is OK and something different i guess, but far from genius)

Skrillex (Yes, he has alot of fame, but his music is better than his fans and he should get a haircut.)

Deadmou5 (Well, it's Pop-Music and he has a fucking mask, so what can i say..)

Joanna Newsom (Not that i really care..)

Stockhausen (His fame is justified)

Trentemoller (I think his fame is mostly justified)

Anthony Rother (Great in theory. But quickly boring)

Venetian Snares (He makes genius, then he makes shit, then he makes genius again)

Elvis had a better voice than Sinatra, but they're both legends too for being entertainers beyond recording music.

I like this category "rated exactly right"

zooropa by U2 is underrated

U2 in general get a really bad fucking rap. zooropa is really awesome imo.

I agree, most of it has to do with Bono (he's a bit of twat but means well) but the band in general kind of endorsed level of self-promotion that simply put off many people when How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb came out. Critically even their weaker albums aren't bad. I still find them far less annoying than many other bands.

Archived