IGNORED

The Most Underrated / Overrated Music

Redruth

Underrated

SubtractiveLAD/Stephen Hummel. Releases a quality and beautiful album every year.

Mystical Sun

Module

David Parsons

Thom Brennan. His album Mist is one of my favourite Ambient albums.

Bola

Another Fine Day - Life Before Land. Classic, unique and timeless Ambient/Chill Out album.

Spooky - Found Sound. As good as anything the big names have put out.

Maitreya - Telluric Waves. Great Ambient album that`s comparable to Substrata.

Dextro - Consequence music

Marconi Union

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've finally got around to listening to Pavement, who are hailed by many as indie gods, but the best thing about them that I can glean is that some of their lyrics are kind of interesting. Melodically and arrangement-wise it seems pretty mediocre, the playing is really sloppy, and Steve Malkmus just sounds bored out of his skull when he sings. Where's this genius that so many are taken in by? Usually I can at least understand the hype around bands that critics spooge hard for, but... this one's lost on me. I know people with music opinions I respect who admire these guys, so I'm going to give it all at least one more listen. But I swear they're just kind of a shitty band. :shrug:

i had the same experience

i like some of their stuff now. but i'm still not completely sold.

Nice, a whole thread dedicated to it! I'm relieved to know someone else feels the same. They're not the worst band I've ever heard or anything, but the amount of gushing praise they get is absolutely astounding to me.

Guest zaphod

page 4 or so of that thread i posted that "crooked rain" clicked with me, which is true. there are songs that are pretty great, like gold soundz and stop breathing. and grounded on wowee zowee. but whole albums of their's don't do anything for me, and slanted and enchanted is still bland bland bland.

Guest zaphod

underrated: andrew w.k. - i get wet

i'm sure liking this album destroys whatever credibility i have, but it's basically perfect.

Underrated:

The Gasman

Flashbulb (yes I went there)

Kettel

Ochre

Kinesthetiac

Overrated:

Luke Vibert (I can see the technical merit, but 90% of his tracks hold no appeal to me)

Burial

Biosphere

I wouldn't say 'Drexciya' were underrated, because those who know of them know how good they are.... I just wish more people knew of them.

My respect for producers always goes up when they mention Drexciya. Kode9 has mentioned them before in interviews.

I wouldn't say 'Drexciya' were underrated, because those who know of them know how good they are.... I just wish more people knew of them.

My respect for producers always goes up when they mention Drexciya. Kode9 has mentioned them before in interviews.

Yeah its quite surprising where their name pops up, but a lot of people site them as an influence. I know Actress, Mark Pritchard & Lone are fans... not to mention anyone who makes decent electro-techno.

is drexciya really that underrated anymore? I mean all these new releases get well reviewed (albeit really shittly on pitchfork) and it seems like now their image is "the underrated electro influence" like no doubt they are amazing but at some point something becomes not thaaaat underrated yeah?

is drexciya really that underrated anymore? I mean all these new releases get well reviewed (albeit really shittly on pitchfork) and it seems like now their image is "the underrated electro influence" like no doubt they are amazing but at some point something becomes not thaaaat underrated yeah?

I agree with AnalogueCreamPie - they're not underrated, just not as well known. But even that's arguable, they're becoming one of those groups that's better known long after they stopped making music.

Overrated. I actually like these artists, but they seem to be way too fawned over:

Burial (the recommendations on discogs would lead you to believe he's the second coming of christ)

Daft Punk

LCD Soundsystem

Underrated:

Blockhead

Dimlite

Fila Brazillia

Thomas Fehlmann

Also Drexciya seem pretty justly rated IMO, I just wish their shit wasn't so expensive to acquire. Not just the out of print stuff either, the Deep Sea Dwellers will run you about $20-25 a CD in the states; meanwhile Voigt's 4xCD Gas can be had for under $30.

Overrated. I actually like these artists, but they seem to be way too fawned over:

Burial (the recommendations on discogs would lead you to believe he's the second coming of christ)

Daft Punk

LCD Soundsystem

Underrated:

Blockhead

Dimlite

Fila Brazillia

Thomas Fehlmann

Also Drexciya seem pretty justly rated IMO, I just wish their shit wasn't so expensive to acquire. Not just the out of print stuff either, the Deep Sea Dwellers will run you about $20-25 a CD in the states; meanwhile Voigt's 4xCD Gas can be had for under $30.

wow hit the nail on the head here. however daft punk always have a place in my heart for Musique through Homework. have always loved it, always will.

fehlmann solo albums are also fantastic.

but dead on about burial and LCD. both enjoyable but never seen the OMG appeal.

Overrated:

Laurel Halo

Actress

Eli Keszler

PAN label

Hype Williams

Talk Talk

Dominick Ferrow/Prurient/Vatican Shadow

Underrated:

Zelienople

Simon Scott

Evan Caminiti/Barn Owl/Jon Porras

Tape Loop Orchestra

Rafael Anton Irisarri/The Sight Below

Klimek

Mark Van Hoen

I've finally got around to listening to Pavement, who are hailed by many as indie gods, but the best thing about them that I can glean is that some of their lyrics are kind of interesting. Melodically and arrangement-wise it seems pretty mediocre, the playing is really sloppy, and Steve Malkmus just sounds bored out of his skull when he sings. Where's this genius that so many are taken in by? Usually I can at least understand the hype around bands that critics spooge hard for, but... this one's lost on me. I know people with music opinions I respect who admire these guys, so I'm going to give it all at least one more listen. But I swear they're just kind of a shitty band. :shrug:

agreed

I'd also add Muse to the overrated list.

Archived