IGNORED

The Most Underrated / Overrated Music

Redruth

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Just listened to some of his releases, and I've gotta say Acidburp is terribly underrated. Didn't he use to post in here?

Just listened to some of his releases, and I've gotta say Acidburp is terribly underrated. Didn't he use to post in here?

I think he still does!

edit: screen name is "PlacidBurp" I think?

Don't get it:

Luomo - only Sasu project I don't like

Squarepusher - some great tracks, but the albums are exhausting

Bibio - I've tried but I can't find a way into any of his records. I feel like there's something wrong with me when I put SW on.

• 2 months later...
Guest zaphod

actress is so overrated. i'm gonna be honest, because i can't say this on fred's forum, but so is andy stott. but actress is incredibly overrated, like, i don't even get why i would bother. andy stott i enjoy in small doses but i can't understand why it's a big deal. it's just kind of boring.

criminally underrated: Cylob

for this masterpiece alone

http://www.discogs.com/Cylob-Trojan-Fader-Style/release/1023569

when i hear stuff like this and pay attention to the amount of genius poured into it, I picture the ghosts of IDM all having a party in the music graveyard like the end of the disney haunted mansion ride

actress is so overrated. i'm gonna be honest, because i can't say this on fred's forum, but so is andy stott. but actress is incredibly overrated, like, i don't even get why i would bother. andy stott i enjoy in small doses but i can't understand why it's a big deal. it's just kind of boring.

i know this sounds stupid but try some psycho active drugs once to listen to it and it will change your mind for good

i know this sounds stupid but try some psycho active drugs once to listen to it and it will change your mind for good
It certainly does sound stupid (and I have nothing against psychoactive drugs).

I'll agree to that ;)

But still, I've seen people criticize others' judgements on music on the grounds that "it only makes sense while tripping", and this attitude I find to be really wrong.

yep to both, but I usually enjoy 2-3 cuts on any given Andy Stott record... can barely say that for any actress release. Worst thing about actress is I can understand within 30 seconds of each track what he's trying to do and can list about 4 or 5 things that a better artist would do to improve it. Never any mystery or followthrough. Yikes.

yep to both, but I usually enjoy 2-3 cuts on any given Andy Stott record... can barely say that for any actress release. Worst thing about actress is I can understand within 30 seconds of each track what he's trying to do and can list about 4 or 5 things that a better artist would do to improve it. Never any mystery or followthrough. Yikes.

Are either of you guys particularly into Burial? Just curious b/c I love both Andy Stott and Actress (horses for courses, yadayada, etc.) but I could readily substitute Burial into any of the above statements and they'd be spot on from my POV.

Are either of you guys particularly into Burial? Just curious b/c I love both Andy Stott and Actress (horses for courses, yadayada, etc.) but I could readily substitute Burial into any of the above statements and they'd be spot on from my POV.

I find burial the most pedestrian of the three.

Burial is the best. Not really in the same category of Actress or Andy Stott. They have diminishing returns for me, but Burial reveals more detail on further listens.

Steve Hauschildt's Sequitur album is seriously underrated.

Funny, I finally just got "Tragedy and Geometry" two days ago, and I came here to see if anyone mentioned him. It's a very solid album, and I don't see him mentioned nearly as often as he should. I'm going to check out Sequitur soon (and I saw he has something coming out on Mego in the near future).

Guest zaphod

oh wow, how could i forget, the most overrated electronic musician of all time. the only piece of music i like by burial is this:

[youtubehd]PwV2eoI7KyI[/youtubehd]

You're walking down a dark alleyway on a cold, rainy night. Somewhere off in the distance, a singer croons soulful, evocative lamentations through the ethereal fog which permeates your inner-city existence. Around the corner, you hear the sound of a bullet casing hitting the worn, broken concrete, almost as if it were happening in slow motion. Suddenly the eerily familiar, almost too familiar, clickety-clack of a lightly-syncopated drumbeat descends upon you, punctuating the rise of Mary Anne Hobbes' spectre from a nearby skip. Slowly it dawns on you that there's no way out; you're stuck in every Burial song ever made.

Guest murphythecat8

if it wasnt for actress- no tricks, I would not respect actress as much, but this ep is something special imo

Guest murphythecat8

Gil scott heron would be my top choice of underated artist.

anyone who would actually listens to pieces of a man- Gil scott would agree.

Archived