IGNORED

The Most Underrated / Overrated Music

Redruth

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overrated: Blackest Black Ever, Raime, Vatican Shadow, Modern Love, Andy Stott, Bobby Browser, Tim Hecker

Rated accurately: Demdike Stare, Dalglish (finally), The Caretaker

Underrated: Scorn/Mick Harris/Lull, Hands To, Hyu, F.X. Randomize, Lithops, Cranioclast, Crawling with Tarts, Terminal 11, Shuttle 358, Clock DVA, Brian E, Farmers Manual, PXP, Scott Arford/Red Lodge/Radiosonde, Thomas Dimuzio/Dimmer, Identity Theft, Nommo Ogo

• 2 months later...

I've finally got around to listening to Pavement, who are hailed by many as indie gods, but the best thing about them that I can glean is that some of their lyrics are kind of interesting. Melodically and arrangement-wise it seems pretty mediocre, the playing is really sloppy, and Steve Malkmus just sounds bored out of his skull when he sings. Where's this genius that so many are taken in by? Usually I can at least understand the hype around bands that critics spooge hard for, but... this one's lost on me. I know people with music opinions I respect who admire these guys, so I'm going to give it all at least one more listen. But I swear they're just kind of a shitty band. :shrug:

i had the same experience

i like some of their stuff now. but i'm still not completely sold.

Just reading this thread makes me not like them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen about 50 lists around threads and magazines... not a single one mentions Parastrophics by Mouse on Mars. IS there something I'm missing here? Why is this group so systematically ignored by absolutely everybody? It seriously doesn't make any sense to me how people can agree constantly on just about everything... down to the most mundane albums. But this very clearly, at the very least, "as Good as all the other shit on those lists" album isn't mentioned about 99.9% of the time. And we can objectively say that there isn't a single group that does live performance like these guys. What the fuck gives?

Interstate by Monolake is the most underrated album I can think of. One of my personal all-time favorites. A true masterpiece.

Interstate is a work of brilliance, but Perpetuum.... that track annoys me and kinda ruins the flow.. too samey for me, but yet. Interstate. fucking 1999. holy wow.

I've seen about 50 lists around threads and magazines... not a single one mentions Parastrophics by Mouse on Mars. IS there something I'm missing here? Why is this group so systematically ignored by absolutely everybody? It seriously doesn't make any sense to me how people can agree constantly on just about everything... down to the most mundane albums. But this very clearly, at the very least, "as Good as all the other shit on those lists" album isn't mentioned about 99.9% of the time. And we can objectively say that there isn't a single group that does live performance like these guys. What the fuck gives?

this completely boggles my mind as well. What is it? MoM seems so imminently likable fun, playful beats, immaculate production... what is the deal?

Interstate by Monolake is the most underrated album I can think of. One of my personal all-time favorites. A true masterpiece.

Interstate is a work of brilliance, but Perpetuum.... that track annoys me and kinda ruins the flow.. too samey for me, but yet. Interstate. fucking 1999. holy wow.

Really?.. That's one of my favorites on the album. Gecko is the one that kind of ruins the flow for me. Only track I don't like on the album.

Terminal might be one of my favorite all-time tracks. Unbelievably good:

this completely boggles my mind as well. What is it? MoM seems so imminently likable fun, playful beats, immaculate production... what is the deal?

I could write a lengthy, competent, and useful essay on this subject. I'll just say right now that I think it has to do with genre and concept, and with consciousness and awareness.

I wouldn't say that "someone who dislikes Mouse on Mars" is less aware. It's not that simple, because I think inherent to their music there are really exciting ideas of consciousness. "Concept-song." It's titillating.

(but of course that's only 1 part of many in my hypothetical essay)

EDIT: Monolake is great.

For another underrated artist, IMO: A Guy Called Gerald

28 Gun Bad Boy + Black Secret Technology are some of my favorite and most insightful albums. Unique, and good for reasons having very little to do with genre convention.

For another underrated artist, IMO: A Guy Called Gerald

28 Gun Bad Boy + Black Secret Technology are some of my favorite and most insightful albums. Unique, and good for reasons having very little to do with genre convention.

Most definitely.. Black Secret Technology is a fucking classic. Recently bought the (much needed) remastered version of it.

Yet to hear 28 Gun Bad Boy.

Archived