IGNORED

The Most Underrated / Overrated Music

Redruth

Did anyone say boards of canada?

Because I am, now. So over rated.

I have a headache.....can't talk about boards of canada right now......, my mind is too weak for the effort required lol

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

afex twinz is so overrated! he can't even new musiz!!!

But really. Ochre is VERY underrated. As far as overrated, too much to list. I'm surprised by what some people think is overrated but to each his own, i suppose

I'd also add Muse to the overrated list.

I remember friends of mine, ones with good musical taste imo, giving burned Muse CDs years ago (i.e. 2004). They're still good live but yeah they've become quite lame. Almost a parody of themselves. Snow Patrol went from good to meh as well. Really dull predictable singles lately.

overrated:

justice

I really got burned out on those guys, and Ed Banger in general, though I am kicking myself in the ass for not seeing them live in Austin, especially since DJ Mehdi opened (RIP)

sad, drexciyan plans had plans of their own. my guess is gerald will reanimate drexciya soon

Don't think Gerald would ever do anything under the Drexciya name without the late, unfathomably great James Stinson.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I would say a lot of Richard D James' catalog is over rated, I only love about one eighth of the tracks I've heard from the monstrosity of his work, being how large it is, that's still a pretty good ratio.

pretty sure i alredy dun said dis, but Everything She Touched Turned Ampexian by Prefuse 73 got a hugely undeserved negative rap. It's one of my favorite albums of all time.

Did anyone say boards of canada?

Because I am, now. So over rated.

yeah. not bad by any means, but overrated.

i think they were rated just about right before releasing the campfire headphase. or maybe before the bizarre overhype leading up to that album.

pretty sure i alredy dun said dis, but Everything She Touched Turned Ampexian by Prefuse 73 got a hugely undeserved negative rap. It's one of my favorite albums of all time.

Agreed. I think One Word Extinguisher is still my favorite of his, but Apexian's quite amazing. Definitely underrated.

Underrated: Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics. It's one of my all time favorites, easily my favorite of theirs, but it got pretty universally mediocre/bad reviews from fans and critics alike. I swear everyone else heard a completely different album.

Same thing with Elliott Smith - Figure 8. It's a damn near perfect album in every way.

overrated: just about everything in the new releases forum right now

yeah like many of the neverending promotion topics here that are pushed to infinity

overrated:

VHS Head (nice but not as good as its hype here)

Steinvord (yeah nice too but not by far as good as the hype suggests and he is never ever in a lifetime a sideproject by Richard D. James.)

Actress (how in the world has this release such are large topic?)

underrated:

Raster-Noton Records (One small topic here even so their output is groundbreaking)

Atom TM (This guy needs a subforum instead of cylob)

Aleksi Perälä live (best liveact besides autechre but nobody really seems to know this)

Si Begg / Buckfunk 3000 (lol 1 topic here about him while he is better than steinvord)

Stephen Kent (0 topics even so his digeridoo stuff is as solid as the stuff Richard or the Prodigy did in parts)

Wadhom (same as Stephen Kent)

Greg Ellis (0 topics on him here even so he has a pretty large discography)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Aleksi Perälä live (best liveact besides autechre but nobody really seems to know this)

can you steer me in the direction of something that would prove this, honestly really interested. Love aleksi but never heard anything live

underrated: it's been said before but jesus Mouse on Mars fucking hell.

Also Monolake up until polygon cities.

afex twinz is so overrated! he can't even new musiz!!!

But really. Ochre is VERY underrated. As far as overrated, too much to list. I'm surprised by what some people think is overrated but to each his own, i suppose

absolutely. Even from the days he used to post on here, Ochre is a goddamn genius. From what Ive gathered he now does contractual sound design for just about anyone? If so, Im really happy for him, and hope hes getting a lot of work and credibility in the industry. He really deserves it.

The National - Boxer

Don't get me wrong, I like the National, but this album's far from being the masterpiece every music critic makes it out to be. The lyrics are decent but not great by any stretch, the melodies are weak for the most part, the tone is very samey from song to song, and there's nothing particularly innovative about it. They've still got their own sound, and I like their approach to the instrumental arrangements, drums in particular, but those aspects alone don't make a masterpiece. It's a decent album, but kind of boring on the whole. Mistaken For Strangers is a good song, I'll give it that, but otherwise :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...

sad, drexciyan plans had plans of their own. my guess is gerald will reanimate drexciya soon

Don't think Gerald would ever do anything under the Drexciya name without the late, unfathomably great James Stinson.

i'm not so sure

Archived