IGNORED

The Most Underrated / Overrated Music

Redruth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UfAnAZuC1A

I played this as part of an accompaniment to a collection of photos at my grandfather's funeral. It was very affecting when he sings the line "I wonder if she even remembers me at all", because he had been caring for my grandmother who had Alzheimer's for many years. They had been married for 50+ years.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't "appreciate" (read: understand) The Beatles' contribution to the world of music (yes, all of it) then IMO you are under-educated on the matter.

Actually I take that back...not "IMO"...it's an objective demonstrable fact.

And yeah if you don't like them then that's another thing and that's fine but if there was no Sgt. Pepper's then there wouldn't be [most likely at least half of your all-time favorite records].

agree. You cannot dislike the beatles. and if you do, well you are undereducated towards the band.

I cannot beleive anyone sitting down, listening to the White album, Abbey Road, and Revolver and still say they dont like the beatles.

People who dislike the Beatles are always those try hard cool people who make a point to say they dont like the Beatles like its edgy or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UfAnAZuC1A

I played this as part of an accompaniment to a collection of photos at my grandfather's funeral. It was very affecting when he sings the line "I wonder if she even remembers me at all", because he had been caring for my grandmother who had Alzheimer's for many years. They had been married for 50+ years.

that is one of my favorite songs of all time

Underrated: Beach Boys post-pet sounds

I recently starting comparing the beatles and the beach boys and i have to say i find my self enjoying the beach boys 1000 times more than the beatles, all those post-pet sound albums are excellent up to Sunflower (Surf's up and Holland are allright), heck Today and Summer days are great fun albums too. There is something about their sound that speaks to me. I can see how the post-pet sounds album were overlooked back in the day with all those angry teens, i just wish that now people would give them a chance.

Oh and Dennis Wilson's solo album is great and you should all check it out.

Underrated: Beach Boys post-pet sounds

I recently starting comparing the beatles and the beach boys and i have to say i find my self enjoying the beach boys 1000 times more than the beatles, all those post-pet sound albums are excellent up to Sunflower (Surf's up and Holland are allright), heck Today and Summer days are great fun albums too. There is something about their sound that speaks to me. I can see how the post-pet sounds album were overlooked back in the day with all those angry teens, i just wish that now people would give them a chance.

Oh and Dennis Wilson's solo album is great and you should all check it out.

Agreed. I would rather listen to Pet Sounds, the Smile sessions, and some other Beach Boys songs over any Beatles. I've yet to come across an experimental artist, especially electronic, who said they were influenced by the Beatles. There are other genres of music that have little, or nothing, to do with pop/rock music, if you're not aware. Sure they're important, but they haven't influenced the majority of music. Get the fuck out of here. And no artist has a pristine catalog. The Beatles have some bad shit, The Beach Boys have bad shit, Thriller isn't a 10/10, etc. The Beatles aren't immune to criticism.

This is my opinion so dont take it personally allright boys. Apart from Rubber Soul and Abbey Road (and maybe Magical Mystery Tour) i dont think The Beatles had decent albums, sure there are great song here and there but if you think about it Revolver was okay at best, Sgt Peppers has 3 amazing opening songs then it all got boring and The White Album was a fucking mess. Sure they influenced a lot of musicians i'll give them that but as far as music I enjoy listening to, The Beatles only had two or three albums i can enjoy. Paul Mccartney's Ram and Geroge Harrison's All Things Must Pass are much better album than most of the The Beatles albums.

Now, the last page has been shit, im not going to be bullied into loving the beatles, take your condescending tone somewhere else mofo.

---

About the Beach Boys, i just love the soothing aura of their sound, with them i know im not listening to a political agenda or some bullshit scheme to sell records, their were doing their stuff ignoring trends (just like bob dylan), unfortunately that was to their detriment.

I finally got around to listen to The Smile Sessions, fuck if this album was completed it would have been probably the most influential albums of all time, Brian's arrangements during Pet Sounds/Smile are could not be matched by anyone, he was ahead of his time and above all. Its funny how a half-done Smile is better than Sgt Peppers.

Listen to this, fuck the beatles, the beatles isnt better than this bro!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oKbjSaWFUE

Guest murphythecat8

If you don't "appreciate" (read: understand) The Beatles' contribution to the world of music (yes, all of it) then IMO you are under-educated on the matter.

Actually I take that back...not "IMO"...it's an objective demonstrable fact.

And yeah if you don't like them then that's another thing and that's fine but if there was no Sgt. Pepper's then there wouldn't be [most likely at least half of your all-time favorite records].

agree. You cannot dislike the beatles. and if you do, well you are undereducated towards the band.

I cannot beleive anyone sitting down, listening to the White album, Abbey Road, and Revolver and still say they dont like the beatles.

People who dislike the Beatles are always those try hard cool people who make a point to say they dont like the Beatles like its edgy or something.

yeah, something like that.

same thing with bob dylan. once you realize his lyrics, his touching guitar playing, I cannot beleive anyone still not liking bob dylan.

i think bob dylan is massively overrated.

he's the greatest songwriter imo, but I understand why people don't love him as much as I.

listen to the words (perhaps not the music or voice) of masters of war, a hard rains gonna fall, ballad of hollis brown, mr tamborine man, desolation row, my back pages and with god on our side (etc etc etc etc) and tell me he's overrated...

people always say this, but i don't like his lyrics. he just sounds like someone trying hard to sound deep. i don't really like lyrics in general though. they're almost always secondary to the music for me, and dylan's music basically uniformly sucks dick.

lyrics should be secondary to the music. I don't give a fuck about great lyrics either. You can have otherwise not so interesting lyrics, sang or spoken at just the right time in a great track, and have an incredible contrast.

Guest murphythecat8

Bob Dylan's voice is horrible. Also something to take into consideration. Congratulations if you can tolerate that.

bob dylan voice is perfect. Anyone dissing bob dylan sounds like a frustrated teenager,

Bob Dylan's voice is horrible. Also something to take into consideration. Congratulations if you can tolerate that.

bob dylan voice is perfect. Anyone dissing bob dylan sounds like a frustrated teenager,

I always use this when people say Dylan doesnt have a great voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n83VFE83kM

No, you just enjoy his vocals. They're far more flat than even Neil Young, for instance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=221mohEolWc

Guest zaphod

i'm not sure if i care about technical ability, i just find his voice grating. but honestly it's the combo of "deep" lyrics, shambling instrumentation, his voice, and then the fact that i watched don't look back and he seemed like a complete prick. i also saw him play live and he was fucking awful. one of the worst live shows i've ever been to.

van dyke parks - underrated

you want to talk about pet sounds, listen to song cycle. i think all of his stuff is superior to the beach boys output.

i'm not sure if i care about technical ability, i just find his voice grating. but honestly it's the combo of "deep" lyrics, shambling instrumentation, his voice, and then the fact that i watched don't look back and he seemed like a complete prick. i also saw him play live and he was fucking awful. one of the worst live shows i've ever been to.

van dyke parks - underrated

you want to talk about pet sounds, listen to song cycle. i think all of his stuff is superior to the beach boys output.

I'm only talking about Dylan's first 3 or 4 albums. I'm not talking about his stream-of-conscious electric stuff. I don't care about anything after The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan really.

underrated: Chris Weisman

not sure how to describe him...dunno, hugely-prolific highly-dissonant dadaist 4-track folk singer, perhaps?

also a friend and former teacher

he was kinda the first one to show me the magic of music

check him out:

Archived