IGNORED

The Most Underrated / Overrated Music

Redruth

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Overrated: Exai

It's not the second coming of christ, like some watmmers has been treating it since the AAA thread.

*Hopes for a fanboy uproar over this*

i'm gonna dismember your action man dolls if you talk shit about manowar again punk

underrated

anal birth

overrrated

anal blast

It's not the second coming of christ, like some watmmers has been treating it since the AAA thread.

agreed, but to be honest I've got no interest in upsetting fanboys.

It's not the second coming of da Jesus, but it's one of their better recent albums at least. One of my favorites by them. IMO. TBH.

Underrated: trip hop. Why is it considered dated? We could have a trip hop revival and it would probably be fucking awesome.

Overrated: Tomorrow's Harvest for sure and I think the new Burial EP is like an awkward experiment. I think.

Aphex Twin, overrated.

i could write a whole huge thing about why saw II is actually one of *maybe* five truly successful ambient albums, as opposed to calming pretty music that parades around as ambient (like gas) but I won't... some other day maybe.

It's not the second coming of da Jesus, but it's one of their better recent albums at least. One of my favorites by them. IMO. TBH.

Underrated: trip hop. Why is it considered dated? We could have a trip hop revival and it would probably be fucking awesome.

It's just that other trends, specifically more straight-up retro sounds, have been deemed cool by most taste-makers. Ninja Tune and other downtempo music kinda faded quickly at some point in the 00s. Pfork and others used to love groups like Zero 7 or Thievery Corporation.

Trip hop also suffered from that tainted "industry curated" promotion that plagued other fusion genres of that era: big beat, illbient, electrohouse, breakcore. Lot of late 90s/early 00s music is seemingly discarded. I feel at some point in the late 00s, probably because of the greater ease in recreating sounds and/or sampling off the internet, most young artists opt for more postmodern ethos or experimentation (beat music, vaporwave), pure throwback (especially with synthpop and chillwave), or whatever sells (EDM).

I think the best elements of trip hop are undeniably influential and still seep into a lot of electronic music. That heavy slow tempo stuff Massive Attack mastered is here imo and this is def different than her "hit" songs:

Guest zaphod

Aphex Twin, overrated.

i could write a whole huge thing about why saw II is actually one of *maybe* five truly successful ambient albums, as opposed to calming pretty music that parades around as ambient (like gas) but I won't... some other day maybe.

i would probably agree on the saw 2 tip but no, gas is not just "pretty" music. totally disagree there. opinions!

zooropa by U2 is underrated

U2 in general get a really bad fucking rap. zooropa is really awesome imo.

Yeah i used to love this. I dig the opening title track, and track 'stay'.

And then they began eating out their own pussy out from the inside. It looked like an inverse pear in 1995.

Guest murphythecat8

Aphex Twin, overrated.

five truly successful ambient albums? oh so theres only 5 good ambient record?

Aphex Twin, overrated.

GAS is not "calming pretty music". And I would call SAW II "pretty" and GAS "beautiful". The difference is colossal.

Aphex Twin, overrated.

Please do. I would be interested in reading this as I know little about ambient music.

Also feel free to PM me the other 4 *maybe* truly successful ambient albums if u dont mind :D

All i got to say about SAWII right now is matchsticks

Interesting some of you mention Zooropa. I'd admit to having a real love/hate relationship with U2, though for the last decade, possibly longer, it's been a 'not bothered' attitude.I've had a softspot because I've always like the combined sounds of The Edge and Brian Eno. Bono can spout his bullshit but I've always loved the ambient synths and the chiming guitar effects from them. Zooropa has some really great tracks on it imo (and some really poor tracks, what the fuck is that Babyface all about lol)

However you all miss the most underrated of U2 albums (though not technically one), Passengers. There are some really sick tracks on that. Yay or nay?

underrated: anything I like that you don't like

overrated: anything you like that I don't like

that's basically the gist of this entire thread, yeah.

*bangs head against wall*

• 2 weeks later...

Archived