IGNORED

EP7

Redruth

slightly off topic, but i always had the impression that gelk from peel session 2 was something of a companion piece to maphive 6.1 - same mood, similar sounds or sth

Same here... above all, the rhythmic metamorphosis. Personally I have always associated Maphive to geakwad: not for sounds and melodies, as well as for the gradual slowing down, crossed by unpredictable percussion, renewing the sense of the entire song, second by second. The musical dimension of Calatrava.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

listening back to EP7 for the first time in years and enjoying it. I always loved Rpeg (a.k.a. Baba O'Reilly) and Ccec's future hip hop, then there are a run of about 4 which sound like ideas that could have fit on LP5 or Chiastic but less interesting, but then by the end it gets more mellow with Zeiss Contarex preceeding the grimy dub of Draft 7.30 and then Pir has one of their most beautiful melodies

i wouldnt say the sound has dated, Maphive has that kind of haunted General Midi sound Oneohtrix Point Never like to make use of these days, Liccflii sounds like early Actress. 

slightly off topic, but i always had the impression that gelk from peel session 2 was something of a companion piece to maphive 6.1 - same mood, similar sounds or sth

Was going to say I agree, I always thought a track off peel sessions sounded like maphive 6.1, but I checked it out and to me it's Gaekwad. Very similar sound set, also PMA5 I presume.

Zeiss Contarex is such a favourite track, remember when it first clicked, listening to it laying in bed one morning zoning out staring at the ceiling. Love the way it gradually teases more and more of the main melody line, then as soon as it finally fully resolves they pull the rug from under you. Blew my tiny mind.

remember it took me a long while before i got to the point where i enjoyed the entire album. dropp was the easy track, but the rest was really strange at first. from the autechre that came after ep7 i loved them the most when they went ep7, so to speak. the funky fuckery sprinkled with some hidden melodies here and there. at least, to the extent you can still call them melodies.

the sounds themselves may have aged a bit nowadays. but the music is still ace. don't mind that it sounds aged though. comes with the territory of electronic music.

I actually sort of feel like all the albums from Tri Rep onwards have aged incredibly gracefully. The sound never seemed forced like they are trying to show off or anything, and that means they age more gracefully than some others who are trying to always push for the phattest beats or whatever. I just listened to Chi Slide yesterday and it's crunchy industrial goodness hasn't aged at all.

• 1 year later...

Been listening to this repeatedly the past couple of days. Maphive 6.1 in particular suits my current mood perfectly and Rpeg is an absolute classic.

Been listening to this repeatedly the past couple of days. Maphive 6.1 in particular suits my current mood perfectly and Rpeg is an absolute classic.

Second part of maphive is great—first part reminds me of Zelda for the SNES (tho I still like it)

I've been listening to EP7 a lot lately too...

I don't know what it is exactly, but the NTS Sessions have made me appreciate Oversteps and EP7 more than I ever have in the past....

=P

Archived