IGNORED

New Tool record end of year?

azatoth

I really need to get on to Puscifer. V is for Vagina was ok, but didn't really click with me tbh

Funny, that's about the only one that clicked with me along with C is for...

Personally, this new LP sounds like uninspired APC b-sides.

I love it.. agree it does sound rather APC in places but dont think thats a bad thing!

What bothers me more about 10k is the production is more brickwalled. They stated they were listening to a lot of Meshuggah when they were writing the album, so I blame it on that.

Fuck Meshuggah

I can hear a Meshuggah influence in that album but Tool will never reach that level of postmodernism imo

The only album from Puscifer i really got into was V is For Vagina. The first three tracks on Money $hot are pretty damn solid and I really like them. The rest of the album is just... meh. Way too clean. The title track is a bore to listen to since it is trying to be this hard hitting heavy song, but it is just so produced and clean that it ends up failing hard. I loved the female vocals on Conditions of My Parole but on here they just are mixed way too loud and it just doesn't really fit. This whole record is a big dissapointment, I was waiting patiently for it since Grand Canyon hit but it's just meh.

dunnno

back in the days

this was a band where you could say they're progressive

i mean they always had a certain retroness, king-crimson and led-lep influences, psychedelic pink-floyd liveshows..

yet, a sort of progressive sound, stuck out among the other rock bands in the rock band haydays, when nu-metal was hip (lol!!)

but nowadays this big-rock-with-diva-allures thing seems sooo anachronistic lol

tool != vapors

/dunno

I wish they would remember their straight up groove-rock styles like Undertow etc. It's hard to imagine them as the band that wrote Sober or Stinkfist now. Too busy being introverted and progressive and putting samples of rainstorms in their songs.

Who knows, new album might surprise....

dunnno

back in the days

this was a band where you could say they're progressive

i mean they always had a certain retroness, king-crimson and led-lep influences, psychedelic pink-floyd liveshows..

yet, a sort of progressive sound, stuck out among the other rock bands in the rock band haydays, when nu-metal was hip (lol!!)

but nowadays this big-rock-with-diva-allures thing seems sooo anachronistic lol

tool != vapors

/dunno

yeah, so many bands have surpassed them imo. Isis, for example, really picked up the torch with their last two or three albums; even though they broke up I think it makes Tool seem kinda irrelevant. At least, to me. I just don't see what Tool could release that would excite me in the way that Aenima or Lateralus did. Unless they completely changed direction and made a hardcore album or something..

exactly, Isis is a great example, Tool clearly being a big influence on them, but Isis pretty much left out the cheesy parts and invented their own minimalist style, and after they felt they had expressed all they could, disbanded. Which seems logical and good, their back catalog is aging quite well imo mostly.

So crisis is often a good trigger for change right? Seems Tool have been in somewhat of a crisis for a while now, but somehow they appear to cling to themselves and their ways (musically, if that Descending jam is an indication)... not that staying true to oneself is a bad thing but what they're doing looks a lot like they are stuck with supporting a cliche idea of what they should be doing according to expectations. Which is kind of sad, their off-beat humor was always good but seems like there's not too much left of that.

/dumb rant, but only because I care a bit

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Just listened to Aenima for the first time in about 5 years wow. geez. its fucking great.

At this point yea, I agree that it would be cool to call it quits. I don't want Lateralus 3.

Just leave the legacy as it is and do a Coachella appearance in 2018.

Edited by colunga

Just listened to Aenima for the first time in about 5 years wow. geez. its fucking great.

At this point yea, I agree that it would be cool to call it quits. I don't want Lateralus 3.

Just leave the legacy as it is and do a Coachella appearance in 2018.

they've already got a bunch of stuff in varying stages of completion, with some lengthy pieces nearly done. i can't imagine it won't come out at this point.

they're not gonna make another undertow or another aenima, or any kind of imagined equivalent. i'll be happy with whatever they do, i like those guys.

did i miss lateralus 2?

10,000 Days

Alex Grey! Pseudo-spiritual nu-age druggo ascension philosophizing!
And yet dispite all that it seems absurd to consider those albums remotely equal! A lesser album! Not the same level of craftsmanship! Exclamation point!

yea, 10,000 days is not even close to the level of Lateralus. i love 10k days, but it really comes off as a collection of songs rather than the previous perfectly crafted albums.

10kdays was pretty damn lackluster compared to Lateralus, I'm remaining optimistic about this new output whenever it comes though.

oh i totally agree! I meant in terms of sound, 10k days didnt seem to cover much new ground. it had a very similar SOUND to Lateralus. each album had been a proper maturation from the album before it. 10k was the first where i didnt really feel that.

did i miss lateralus 2?

10,000 Days

Alex Grey! Pseudo-spiritual nu-age druggo ascension philosophizing!
And yet dispite all that it seems absurd to consider those albums remotely equal! A lesser album! Not the same level of craftsmanship! Exclamation point!

Absolutely absurd. I don't think Lateralus can sniff Aenima but it can't really be denied that it was a step forward in a lot of areas and had a very coherent narrative (I guess would be the word). 10000 Days just seemed like a mishmash of left overs from Lateralus and a few random songs thrown in to the (brickwalled) mix. I still think it's alright, but I really hope they stretch themselves a bit more on the new album.

I'm afraid it's going to sound similar in production, I think Joe barisi is doing it again.

they should go back to David botrill. the sound on aenima and lateralus was literally perfect.

Agreed. Aenima's a really fascinating album from a production standpoint. There are a lot of very unconventional ideas in there that create a vibe that's totally unique, both for the time and ever since. Last year I listened to it for the first time in years, and was quite blown away. It was my favorite album when I was 15, and somehow it's even better when I'm 32... unimaginably good by the time I reach 46 & 2, I'm sure.