IGNORED

AE played in recording studio

shaun

Ok I was hoping to get some idea's here so i'll go right ahead.. Last weekend i was at my friends studio, which was the first time i'd seen him in almost a year, and also his recording studio was well and truely up and running. One of the last times i saw him was AE at the Hi-Fi bar, and despite following my lead with getting into BoC and then AFX 5 years ago, AE hasn't revealed itself to him. I have to say that Autechre has been the most challenging music i've listened to, yet so rewarding. I can still say that i'm getting into them after 4 years.

So we were drinking gin and smoking green and checking out the very high-end sound. We listened to a bit of massive attack first coz he wanted to show me some really low bass, and then told me that windowlicker has a mad spectrum of bass going on, and it really did sound amazing. He knows AE are my favorite and says he struggles with them despite quite liking maphive, krib supperie. We played some tracks from rushup edge... death fuck and synthacon?spelling? and they both really sounded great. Rue the whirl sounded insane and the beat was ripping from left to right like i had headphones on. Anyway i was trying to think of the perfect Autechre song to put on. I wanted Are Y are We but he didn't have that so then i thought of Vose in and oh my god.. I love the melody in this song so much, and it sounded real badass too, but the bass in the last few minutes of the song took the cake. We were both impressed.

well i didn't want to push it on him and we were content listening to BoC, but I was having a sort of brain freeze and was struggling to come up with a song that would match Vose in. Most of the songs i wanted to play weren't on his HD. I wanted to check out stuff from Oversteps/MoT as i love the clarity of that sound. Youp would get really heavy i'd imagine. See on See would sound great. And when i think about it, Bine would have sounded nice in fact i see Confield being one of the best sounding albums to try, but also one of the least accessible as a whole. Altibzz always tests my phones and i think it's pure sound, todays classical music. Close your Eyes remix would be buzzing and Piezo's beat is always irresistible. Other AE song i played was Laughing Quarter but our attention was focused elsewhere at the time. it did sound brilliant though.

Thanks for reading that if you did, and if anyone here has an opinion or similar experiences on what songs you'd think would sound best on a studio quality setup? also keep in mind that i want to make a mix and have it ready for next time so as much as i'd want to put a song like KryLon or Draun Quarter on, i just know there needs to be a certain attention given to the choice of tracks regarding first impressions.... not that they all have to be instantly gratifying tracks well that itself would be hard enough

the songs i mentioned above i want to include plus others are Piezo, Bine, pen expers, Are Y are We, Close your Eyes, Altibzz and Youp as the last track, Not sure about cfern, Treal qplay clipper rotar second something, pro radii augmatic disport chenc9 Perlence plyPhon flutter.. etc etc

I guess it comes down to 'what tracks would you wanna spin if you had a mate that owned a studio?

You appear to have gone mental with the highlight tool ....

Try some Richard Devine or Phoenecia - I bet they'd sound good

I really want to hear the Hafler Trio/Ae DVD loud in a broadcast spec surround sound studio

You appear to have gone mental with the highlight tool ....

Try some Richard Devine or Phoenecia - I bet they'd sound good

I really want to hear the Hafler Trio/Ae DVD loud in a broadcast spec surround sound studio

I see that was the result of copy & paste combined with my old spell check add on. Yeah also interested in other artists. thanks... I'd like to hear Burial

Why, V-Proc of course.

I suggested V-proc to him as he was sifting through draft, and he said something like "it try's to go somewhere, but never really ends up getting there" which i thought was surprising... we weren't listing to it loud at the time though.

Guest Xenblake

Ejectmusicaltrash, your text has caught some kind of evil alien chicken pox!

I don't think there is any autechre that I wouldn't like to listen to on a big professional sound system

If I had to pick one album it would probably be confield

Iera, Sublimit, Pro Radii, really almost anything off of Untilted would sound mad in a studio.

Y7

Dropp, Rpeg, Zeiss Contarex (EP7 Is a great album for new listeners I think, as it has a level of structure closer to 'normal' music, but also has a really rich sonic palate and a thorough amount of brain-melting experimentation)

Nuane

Clipper, Eutow

Sorry i've endorsed the colour green whilst adding the borderline gay confession of drinking gin n smoking green with a mate in an autistic fashion, which is all just a front for some whacked out evil alien enigma. Jokes aside Sublimit would be good, and i totally forgot about Dropp,

was just going through some old mixes i've done in the past and it's going to be noticeable having a track like Tilapia and Pex expers on the same CD purely because of the contrast in volume, also clarity to a lesser extent. Having said that i think they've been very consistent over a couple of decades and having Bike in the mix wouldn't sound out of place at all.

I was listening to 6852 last night and thought it be a good choice to start it off.

This track by Brothomstates is a good-to for me when testing out a Hi-Fi; sparse, but detailed and spacious with wonderful bass...

spaciousness is determined by the rate of decay of the specular energy within the space (eg, exponentially decaying Schroeder Integral) - along with binaural dissimilarity from lateral returns (hence why temporal and spatial dispersion (diffusion) is imperative).

http://tnw.home.tudelft.nl/fileadmin/Faculteit/TNW/Over_de_faculteit/Afdelingen/Imaging_Science_and_Technology/Research/Research_Groups/Acoustical_Imaging_and_Sound_Control/Publications/M.Sc._thesis/doc/Naziema_Joeman_thesis_MSc.pdf

we all know the game changed when Schroeder came on the scene

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was waiting for the bit when they started to take their clothes off and had gay sex to Autechre.

krib

kribbed for his pleasure

Archived