IGNORED

Dead Can Dance - Anastasis

Redruth

"The Australian group’s hugely innovative and spiritually attuned releases in the 1980s and 90s helped define the sound of the 4AD label, taking influence from Gaelic folk, Gregorian chant, Middle Eastern and African musics, and in turn influencing everything from the goth and metal underground to mainstream pop."

"Formed in Melbourne in 1981 and centered around the duo of Lisa Gerrard and Brendan Perry (pictured above in their pomp), DDC grew more and more ambitious with each album release, cultivating a magnificently po-faced, medieval-tinged and richly ambient sound that for us peaked on 1987′s breathtaking Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun."

http://www.factmag.c...and-world-tour/

http://www.4ad.com/a...ts/deadcandance

• 2 weeks later...

Wut? How did I miss this? Very good news. Been listening to them since I bought the Serpent's Egg around 1995..

Sorry if I'm missing something, but this is coming out on 4AD? I never got Dead Can Dance, but all the same if they were to return to the fold it'd restore a lot of my faith in a label I grew up idolising, they were always as much as a part of 4AD as The Cocteaus.

• 3 weeks later...

From the DCD twitter:

The new album is all finished and being mastered ! Release details and special presale will follow very shortly

Release date for the new album is August 9:

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=47869_0_2_0_C

It's nice to see some DCD fans on this board. They've been one of my favorite groups since I was a kid.

Got tickets for the Nashville show at the Ryman (former Grand Ole Opry). It's one of my most anticipated shows this year.

a new song is up on their website. not bad i'd say, still has that gothic-y vibe most dcd fans probably like a lot and perry's voice hasn't aged at all, the beat is extremely boring though.

Ha-ha, the box set with the vinyls is in pre-order and it's priced at 70 euros. :cerious:

I'll be skipping the box sets but I might grab the vinyls or just the digital download. I'll see once I can hear more tracks. The Amnesia track sounds like gothic reggae. I don't know if that's good or bad.

the beat is extremely boring

i agree. they need to let other players in or remix for this. dcd could really excel right now, with help from select contemporaries

Guest Lucy Faringold

Yeah, I started listening to the stream up on their site last night and although the first couple of tracks actually really hit the spot, as the album progressed I found myself thinking that someone like Trent Reznor could have really turned this into something absolutely magnificent.

Not to say it sounds bad or anything but some of the production sounded like it could do with some more nuance.

• 1 month later...

gave it a listen just now and really liked it ! they're really doing their own thing, this album is so detached from any current trend with its cheesy synths and brass, i love it. it's quite repetitive, minimal, med-slow paced and hypnotic. some parts sound like they dabble with sampling in their own way which turned out really good. lisa's voice has changed but it's no less powerful than before, brendan hasn't changed at all. they don't go for cinematic epicness this time and keep it very even but it's kinda admirable as this album is really something new for them. i didn't mind the primitive production, they use their sounds differently and it works very well.

fav tracks are agape, opium and return of the she-king - which is simply gorgeous and has brass pad arpeggios and drum roll samples, lol, it works beautifully.

least fav are kiko which goes shitty at the end and amnesia which is just average.

• 3 months later...

New album! You can stream it on their website and also on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiDNf8trWn8

Giving it a first listen right now, and it's very good. Seems to have a very mellow, atmospheric mood to it. Definitely worth a listen. It's their first album in 16 years.

Archived