IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

yes, that's another point, you're not really paying the developers when you buy the game, after a certain margin at least. similar to records labels and artists in a lot of ways.

Edited by eugene

It's tempting to compare AAA games to the major labels except that the amount of work put into producing an album and producing a AAA title isn't really comparable. With the music industry, the majors have a lot more people working on distribution and marketing for a product that can now be made in someone's house or even bedroom and instantly shared to an audience with a lot less legwork. AAA games have MANY creative and technical departments - musicians, audio engineers, coders, graphical artists, script writers, voice talent, actors, etc etc. As well the whole marketing department. It's a lot more work by many people. Having a moral standpoint of saying piracy for AAA titles isn't as bad as pirating, say, a small indie developer doesn't really put into consideration that AAA titles are still created by artists and engineers but just on a much bigger scale. Of course it's going to cost a lot more to create.

ubisoft wouldn't have invested in it if they knew piracy would cause it unbearable profit losses, they're not naive, they know much more about piracy dynamics that we do.

Edited by eugene

the developers got they salary, otherwise the game wouldn't be released.

it wasn't even a bug, it was an early version that didn't include all the options and optimizations.

Ha, how little you know - some smaller games rely on strong sales to pay the developers - if the game gets pirated and very little if any profit is made, some folks don't get paid, or get paid and then are out of a job because there's no income to fund the next project.

Even the big studios, if a game does not meet their profit expectations, usually the staff of said game is laid off - and if you think piracy doesn't precipitate that...

Smash Bros has shipped, arriving tomorrow - I am excite!

Gonna rek shit wit da Duck Hunt Dog!

each case should be judged on its own, i'm talking specifically about big ones.

Even the big studios, if a game does not meet their profit expectations, usually the staff of said game is laid off - and if you think piracy doesn't precipitate that

but that's an ethical issue, not a piracy one. it's like "i was supposed to make 50 millions from the game but made only 40, let's fire some devs".

not done anything w/wii u online 'cause it seems so gimped by being wifi only. you guys using the built in wifi or did you get a lan adapter? is there a preferred adapter?

Edited by juiceciuj

There's no such thing as a company that redistributes the same amount of money to its employees anyway lol. Share holders and bosses man.

Valve is almost there.

not done anything w/wii u online 'cause it seems so gimped by being wifi only. you guys using the built in wifi or did you get a lan adapter? is there a preferred adapter?

The Wii LAN adapter will work, as will most USB 2.0 LAN adapters for laptops. On Amazon, this is the one I've been thinking about getting:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F41TWAO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2PBRJ4WIKCI3U&coliid=I2D63BPR9BROBK&psc=1

Guest jasondonervan

The Wii LAN adapter will work, as will most USB 2.0 LAN adapters for laptops. On Amazon, this is the one I've been thinking about getting:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F41TWAO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2PBRJ4WIKCI3U&coliid=I2D63BPR9BROBK&psc=1

I have an official one, which is actually the original Wii LAN adapter but shoved in Wii U packaging! Gets the job done though.

Elite Dangerous. Orca passenger ship. I want one.

i5zAImfSyJHGq.jpg

1000px-Orca_Newsletter_50_2.jpg

Guest jasondonervan

Ugh, I really want to get some flight sticks and fly around space with you Jason. Are you using voice attack?

No voice but I'd like to try it out. Tthe only tech I've got hooked up for now is an X52 Pro (HOTAS = essential) and the Oculus (but holding off using it with ED until certain things get fixed up, fingers crossed for gamma buidl/retail release)

lol @ Eugene arguing everywhere on the internet

My copy of Goat Simulator has been updated into a Goat MMO rpg? I guess while everyone else plays GTA V I'll be levelling up a goat. With viking armor. That'll tide me over until I get This War Of Mine tomorrow, which sounds like an amazing game. Has anyone played it? What did you think?

I got Farcry 4 for free with my GTX 970. Haven't tried it yet as it's still downloading. Should be done tomorrow by the time I wake up. I can't wait to try it out.