IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Just now, yekker said:

It would be a lot easier if the controls weren't so goddamn bad...

On SMB2 (JPN)? They're the same as SMB 1... or are you talking about SMB 2 USA?

2 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

On SMB2 (JPN)? They're the same as SMB 1... or are you talking about SMB 2 USA?

Oh my bad ... I was talking about japanese super mario bros 2, that's lost levels in america right?

Anyways mario 1 and lost levels would be a lot easier with better controls.

2 minutes ago, yekker said:

Oh my bad ... I was talking about japanese super mario bros 2, that's lost levels in america right?

Anyways mario 1 and lost levels would be a lot easier with better controls.

Right - the controls have never been an issue (for me) in any Mario game, and I've never heard complaints about the controls in SMB1 or SMB2 (JPN)...

I broke and downloaded Far Cry: New Dawn. Not enamored with it yet, but hope it gets better.

6 hours ago, Joyrex said:

The thinking at the time was instead of just more of the same from Mario 1, give the hardcore players a challenge. I think the decision not to bring it out in the US was a wise one (and if they hadn't we wouldn't have gotten my favourite Mario game, Super Mario 2 USA aka the reskinned Doki Doki Panic)

ya. i still rate japanese mario 2 pretty highly.. it’s like an official rom hack/ kaizo mario for SMB1. ... it may be hard but it’s not ghosts and goblins hard. 

SMB1 controls are wonky and take getting used to, but once you do get used to them it’s pretty hard to fault them. every time i play SMB1 after a while it’s always “is this emulator busted??? why does everything feel so fucked up???”. but then you get used to it and they’re good again.

i also think.. the World 9 in SMB2 (j) is based on the -minus world glitch from SMB1. which is kind of interesting. it’s like a weird tacked on official part of the game in SMB2.

31 minutes ago, bitchroast said:

ya. i still rate japanese mario 2 pretty highly.. it’s like an official rom hack/ kaizo mario for SMB1. ... it may be hard but it’s not ghosts and goblins hard. 

SMB1 controls are wonky and take getting used to, but once you do get used to them it’s pretty hard to fault them. every time i play SMB1 after a while it’s always “is this emulator busted??? why does everything feel so fucked up???”. but then you get used to it and they’re good again.

i also think.. the World 9 in SMB2 (j) is based on the -minus world glitch from SMB1. which is kind of interesting. it’s like a weird tacked on official part of the game in SMB2.

Totally unrelated to our conversation, but are you purposely formatting your posts with light gray text and white background?

nope. i wrote the text out on iphone safari watmm, but there was some text at the end of the text box i couldn't delete (the little text flashing icon just refused to go infront of the text) . so my solution was to copy my reply, refresh the page, then paste the reply back into the reply box. 

Edited by bitchroast

Mortal kombat 11 is a week out and i already got the platinum trophee yooooow

this game is stupid mad fun, online and offline, i feel like a friggin robot and i got calluses on both my thumbs

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Braintree said:

I broke and downloaded Far Cry: New Dawn. Not enamored with it yet, but hope it gets better.

Gameplay is decent, story sux. That's probably about all I can say without revealing spoilers. The Far Cry formula since 3 starts to show signs of fatigue as you progress.

13 hours ago, ambergonk said:

Gameplay is decent, story sux. That's probably about all I can say without revealing spoilers. The Far Cry formula since 3 starts to show signs of fatigue as you progress.

Yeah, the stories are usually garbage. I just like playing them for conquering outposts stealthily and general adventuring.

I'm fine with the format, but labeling the "level" of animals and enemies is kind of weird. It feels like it has more of an RPG system on the surface. Also, animal attacks seem more common than in FC5.

4 minutes ago, bitchroast said:

all hail paranerd, king of kong. 

Haha, thanks. I have the MAME INP file and I'm trying to figure out the quickest and simplest way to create a video file to upload to youtube. ?

2 hours ago, paranerd said:

After a year of playing, I finally made it to the Donkey Kong Kill Screen with a score of 888100:

Cc7kYMu.png

I'd say call ol' Walter Day, but sadly he's retired now.

IMG_4530.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bitchroast said:

walter day's legacy has been tainted by billy mitchells evil meddlings. 

Yeah, Twin Galaxies altogether is in shambles with numerous unverified scores by old guard players making up WRs. It's unfortunate since there's a lot of gaming history there as well as a lot of legit scores by some incredible modern players.

When it comes to Donkey Kong, http://donkeykongforum.com is the 'official' gate keeper now and it has nothing to do with Twin Galaxies and Billy Mitchell. The site owner is the one who submitted evidence gathered by others of Mitchell's cheating which ended in Mitchell getting stripped of his Twin Galaxy and Guiness records. As a result, there's a rift between Billy supporters and players who want nothing to do with him, causing separate sects of DK communities. 

currently doing the classic zelda marathon with all the games i played :-D. started with "a link to the past", now finished "link's awakening" and will move on to the "oracle of" series (my favs). "the minish cap" to follow! going to replay a lot more classics with my controller on my way to work, gotta love emulators :-)!

big game currently is "final fantasy XII - the zodiac age". played the original back then, but never with all the sidequests, now it's time!

Edited by indulin

13 hours ago, paranerd said:

After a year of playing, I finally made it to the Donkey Kong Kill Screen with a score of 888100:

Cc7kYMu.png

Christ - how long do you have to play typically to achieve that score?