IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Ignoring the bonus disk for the moment, I'd really like to hear more about the below statement. This was not something I'd ever heard.

Tri Repatae++ (although it's really a compilation of several EPs).

I'll explain. Tri Repetae is a 10 track album from AE released in 95.

Tri Repetae++ is the USA release which has a second disc that combines the Anvil Vapre and Garbage EP's.

:cisfor:

The inclusion of the EPs, in this rare case, made the US release better than the stand-alone original UK release. Kinda like the Richard D James Album, actually...

Fair enough, but in my own defense, that's not what you initially said. Thus my question. And the first 7 words of it, obel.

No that wasn't me who said that, I was clarifying that Tri Repetae is an album, not a collection of EP's, it's only the second disc of the US release which is EP's.

All it takes is one person to transcode the promo and then post this online for the greater good of humanity. (Do it purposefully at something below 256kpbs. This would eliminate any watermarks in the header and still force people to buy the BLEEP counter-defense so that they can get better quality files) People who paid for it already will get a portion of their product earlier and the curious will jump on board sooner than later.

The way I see it, Warp actually makes a couple extra sales and insures the quality of the inevitable leak. Otherwise, all bets are off once the disc is ripped.

Yeah it feels like Untilted + Oversteps to me. Not awful, just sort of arbitrary IDM. The chops are good of course but I don't really hear much "point". Also very wanky melodies a la MoT. I am basing this on a handful of 30 second samples. :cisfor:

*cancels pre-order*

*listens to local radio*

*burns autechre collection*

*grows a bushy beard*

*moves to the woods and listens to trees creaking and chipmunks for the remainder of life*

Yeah it feels like Untilted + Oversteps to me. Not awful, just sort of arbitrary IDM. The chops are good of course but I don't really hear much "point". Also very wanky melodies a la MoT. I am basing this on a handful of 30 second samples. :cisfor:

*cancels pre-order*

*listens to local radio*

*burns autechre collection*

*grows a bushy beard*

*moves to the woods and listens to trees creaking and chipmunks for the remainder of life*

I read BUMS autechre collection, then I realised what you did there.

Actress is absolute fucking awful music, anyone comparing it to Autechre, including the guy himself can go and find a shallow pond to drown yourself in. I've not listened to the samples and am getting increasingly tetchy now having turned to spotify to soften the agony of waiting. Only having all the music in the world at your fingertips can reinforce how much of it is inane.

All it takes is one person to transcode the promo and then post this online for the greater good of humanity. (Do it purposefully at something below 256kpbs. This would eliminate any watermarks in the header and still force people to buy the BLEEP counter-defense so that they can get better quality files) People who paid for it already will get a portion of their product earlier and the curious will jump on board sooner than later.

The way I see it, Warp actually makes a couple extra sales and insures the quality of the inevitable leak. Otherwise, all bets are off once the disc is ripped.

great tip from glotch guys

I've said it before and I will say it again. R.I.P. > Oversteps. The guy's interviews are kind of silly but he does talk about music and aesthetics in a way that rings very true for me even if it often comes off incredibly pretentious, contradictory, and illogical.

I don't know why I'm defending him to you guys, though, you're probably just going to say more ridiculous hateful shit about him. Pearls before swine.

I will say that calling Zomby better than AFX is some serious :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

here's my contradictory opinion. i don't generally like to compare artists, they all can have their own place and do their thing, you either like it or you don't type thing. but when i compare actress to ae, i just feel like ae is infinitely more creative, ground breaking, and interesting. doesn't mean actress sucks, but i don't think he can be compared to ae just yet. ae has been doing this for decades and covered shittons of ground.

It seems to come and go in pulses. When I check gmail I have bleep emails in big clusters, even several per day, way back into 2012, but with some days of nothing.

just listen to this bleh

http://youtu.be/zhkGjjCTOog

Oh boy - When I saw it was on Adult Swim I thought it was a parody of a stoned laptop producer-type but alas it slowly dawned on me that it was intended to be completely serious.

It reminded me of this (which is meant to be taking the piss)

Guest disoriental express

the bit about "the way the leaves move" is priceless.

I'm sure i would've loved actress years and years ago, back when i was first discovering electronic music.

and Bleep is playing with our hearts.

also, that How To Produce vid is gold.

Edited by disoriental express

I wish I could agree with you guys on Ae continuing to be innovative. What I'm hearing now is them trying to corner their market. Maybe that's not such a bad thing but it's a stark difference from the audio alchemy I fell in love with.

@ 2:45 @2:55

I still can't get over those chords in T ess xi. When was the last time they actually had a pretty, complex chord structure like that in one of their tracks? EP7? It's almost jazzy! I'm almost jizzy!

edit: thinking about it, last time was probably the first few chords in cap.IV ..

fake edit: holy shit, this sounds fucking BRUTAL super loud on good quality speakers.

Stop Look Listen maybe?

SLL is one of my favourite AE tracks, BTW.

I wish I could agree with you guys on Ae continuing to be innovative. What I'm hearing now is them trying to corner their market. Maybe that's not such a bad thing but it's a stark difference from the audio alchemy I fell in love with.

Those clips that were on the Norman site do NOT do the tracks justice, and I really wished they had chosen to sample them better, because while I rarely complain about bitrates, those sounded awful compared to higher bitrate versions. AE's music suffers much more than any other from low bitrates, IMO - so much is lost (literally) in the compression.

That defense is flawed - there are plenty of people that would settle for lower quality tracks and not end up buying the release.

Stop Look Listen maybe?

SLL is one of my favourite AE tracks, BTW.

I'm pretty certain (given the naming) it's their homage to the theme tune to the 70s schools programme -

Compare the opening two note basslines/leads -

Those clips that were on the Norman site do NOT do the tracks justice, and I really wished they had chosen to sample them better, because while I rarely complain about bitrates, those sounded awful compared to higher bitrate versions. AE's music suffers much more than any other from low bitrates, IMO - so much is lost (literally) in the compression.

That's good to know but it's the ideas (or lack thereof) in these tracks that I'm underwhelmed by. It's still well above average as far as electronic music goes, though. Most of you Aess-kissers seem like the type who also find the Batman movies satisfying so we may just have irreconcilable differences in taste.