IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

no, i completely 100% agree. In fact it's the only one i have to skip, even while listening in the background. That bassline just makes me cringe for some reason. It sounds like a really cheesy acid jazz melody circa 1998 or something

same here

What what what ? I love the track - It's like an 80s cyberpunk flick of a man/robot cruising down some dodgy city streets at midnight fighting the evil bladelores corporation.

What what what ? I love the track - It's like an 80s cyberpunk flick of a man/robot cruising down some dodgy city streets at midnight fighting the evil bladelores corporation.

yes!

Guest pixelives

:cisfor:

Guest the anonymous forumite

Though, to be fair, "Bladelores" is incredible.

Yeah, it reminds you of Boards of Canada.

haha! i knew you (anonymous forumite) were an older member, now it's a question of who... *ponders*

mystery-man1.jpg

It can now be confirmed that the track isn't named "keyosc" but "18 (keyosc)"

Y'all better remember that, because we don't take too kindly to people who write Autechre tracknames incorrectly 'round these parts

hillbilly.jpg

Guest uiert

Im still at it. Listening through the album. Did a few varied listens. In the car, loud as hell on the stereo, headphones etc. Lots of repeated listens too..

I still havent found a single track on Exai that tickles Me the right way. So far the songs seem indifferent to me, almost bland.

Exai is Well produced and sounds good. But the beats, compositions and the tracks themselves just dont... Well, provoke me the way Oversteps, parts of quaristice and pretty much everything else by Ae have done before.

I'll put it aside for a while and then come back to it.

I like the artwork though..

Guest disoriental express

Im still at it. Listening through the album. Did a few varied listens. In the car, loud as hell on the stereo, headphones etc. Lots of repeated listens too..

I still havent found a single track on Exai that tickles Me the right way. So far the songs seem indifferent to me, almost bland.

Exai is Well produced and sounds good. But the beats, compositions and the tracks themselves just dont... Well, provoke me the way Oversteps, parts of quaristice and pretty much everything else by Ae have done before.

Give yourself time to attune to it. Although I loved it right off the bat, some of the songs did seem far more simple than they actually turned out to be once I got to know them better.

The dynamic work they've done on this record is pretty fucking astounding in the way that it gives each track a definite revealing behavior as you continue to listen over time.

Their music is almost always like this, but with Exai it feels even more accentuated and integral. It kind of feels like they were trying to see how far they could take the interplay of surface and background sound.

I'm sure you'll find it amazing once the next album comes out...

Guest disoriental express

Their records have always been imagination-based. Exai takes it to the furthest extent in a lot of ways. The way the gaps you can fill in are so exotic.

I'm looking at you recks on :music::trap:

Edited by disoriental express

Guest uiert

Give yourself time to attune to it. Although I loved it right off the bat, some of the songs did seem far more simple than they actually turned out to be once I got to know them better.

The dynamic work they've done on this record is pretty fucking astounding in the way that it gives each track a definite revealing behavior as you continue to listen over time.

Their music is almost always like this, but with Exai it feels even more accentuated and integral. It kind of feels like they were trying to see how far they could take the interplay of surface and background sound.

With untilted, quaristice, oversteps I had this immediate " wtf have they been up to now?!" but still found the albums appealing straight from the first listen. Then with further listens, the albums opened up. With MOT and ( so far ) Exai this hasnt happened.

I will get back to it soon, will take some time to revisit older material, perhaps LP5

i love how the first 3/4ths of recks on teases you with the hi hats dropping in and out and then the last quarter is nothing but hi hats/insects, and vocodor chatter...

holy shit the bubbles at 3:03 of recks on...

1:58 to 3:56 of recks on is the best of Exai for me atm

have you checked out Scorn? Up until the 4 minute mark its practically a full on Mick Harrris/Scorn mid period (gyral, zander) homage

yes. nev3r got into it really. always responded real well to this particular performance of his though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeq4A1wqI0E

the camera work helps

Guest bitroast

i love how the first 3/4ths of recks on teases you with the hi hats dropping in and out and then the last quarter is nothing but hi hats/insects, and vocodor chatter...

holy shit the bubbles at 3:03 of recks on...

1:58 to 3:56 of recks on is the best of Exai for me atm

have you checked out Scorn? Up until the 4 minute mark its practically a full on Mick Harrris/Scorn mid period (gyral, zander) homage

yes. nev3r got into it really. always responded real well to this particular performance of his though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeq4A1wqI0E

the camera work helps

this song/video is sick.

i dont seem to have any scorn on my computer. can anyone recommend an album or two to listen to^~^

The stickers were nice n all but the lame info sticker on the back of the cd cover is just a bit shit. Mines not even put on straight, completely wonk. They could of made more effort with that, unless the idea is the peel it away to leave it completely blank . Bit cheap that side of it.

Guest bitroast

i had to jump in and agree with a very similar comment.

this sound amazing. everything is so fucken clean and crisp and clear and amazing. the first bass hit on the drum pattern for T ess xi, for every bar. that massive, sloppy, whuppy bass hit (*wwwwWhup!*). my god it sounds amazing.

it also only just occured to me that Flep is incredibly similar sounding to 11 is. they seem to have a lot of similar sounds and ideas.

Edited by pigster

Guest bitroast

the vinyl is definitely making me appreciate the drums. the drums! are incredible. there's so much character just in the bass hits.