IGNORED

Autechre - Exai

zlemflolia

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest primusluta

Must I explain myself? *sigh*

There's a lot going on over the course of the album, but the choice of drum sounds to me seems the most uniquely different from previous AE efforts. There are seeds of a lot of the other elements on the album in previous work, but these drums stand out as a 'new'. There are some that sound like throwbacks to the Lego Feet days without the lo-fi aspect. Others sound like real drum samples put through interesting digital processing. There are even some standard drum sounds that go through similar processing. The programming is still very much in line with their previous work, but it sounds to me like they were 'playing' around with the drum sounds on this as they haven't before.

Guest Hanratty

Must I explain myself? *sigh*

There's a lot going on over the course of the album, but the choice of drum sounds to me seems the most uniquely different from previous AE efforts. There are seeds of a lot of the other elements on the album in previous work, but these drums stand out as a 'new'. There are some that sound like throwbacks to the Lego Feet days without the lo-fi aspect. Others sound like real drum samples put through interesting digital processing. There are even some standard drum sounds that go through similar processing. The programming is still very much in line with their previous work, but it sounds to me like they were 'playing' around with the drum sounds on this as they haven't before.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

haha yea.

i know it is early and fanboy mode is in full effect but i feel like this definitely has the potential to dethrone untilted as my all time fav ae release. there are just so many tracks that i am in love with.

Guest cult fiction

Digging the crunchy beats, but I wish it had more melodies.

+1

I agree, when the melodies do show up, they're usually gorgeous and expansive. As good as tracks like Flep are, I feel like I've had enough of that sort of thing from Autechre over the last 15 years.

jatvee C is really the direction they should pursue - amazing drum sounds, lush pads... amazing track!

I like this thread better than the other one. It doesn't require constant monitoring or hours of catch-up.

Once I get my head round this album, I'll proably post here. Too much annoyance on the other thread. That's probably because I'm getting old and grumpy lol.

Had my first listen through today, on first impressions, this album is massive... I was hoping for a more rhythmic beat driven output this time around so I'm happy that this is the direction the album seems to have gone with. I feel like there are melodies within the dense layers but there seems to be a lot of micro-tonal things and melodies down more in the low end as opposed to the mid-high melodies of oversteps. I'll need to listen more and wrap my head around it more before I fully form more opinions though, these are moreso just first impressions upon initial listen. Seems they nailed it again though.

Anyone noticed that the melody in T ess xi sound like Leterel from Tri Repetae? Album definitely sounds more like old school ae with Oversteps elements mixed in.

Anyone noticed that the melody in T ess xi sound like Leterel from Tri Repetae? Album definitely sounds more like old school ae with Oversteps elements mixed in.

It definitely goes back to some of their previous era sounds, it reminds me of of the Draft 7.3/Untilted era more than Quaristice or Oversteps, however those newer era elements are there just enough to keep it fresh as ever.

I know you know but this is the japanese track which I am halfway through, which is really nice indeed.

Where can you buy Japanese cd's? I tried once before on Amazon Japan and just got annoyed with it and threw in the towel. I wouldn't mind the japanese version of Exai if this sweet track is on it.

Guest mrgypsum

wow ive listened to both discs twice, definitely has a draft 7.3 feel to it. i cant believe how densely packed the tracks are for instance nodezsh has the same claustrophobic quality that IV VV IV VV VIII has.

Archived