IGNORED

Various Artists - EDM A2

Guest cult fiction

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Retrig

you think everyone's aphex

I would absolutely kill to have Jason Donervan Photoshop up some (Trayvon Martin) protesters all holding signs "I am Aphex Twin". Or "I am Jodey Kendrick".

you think everyone's aphex

hi aphex.

no but seriously, no I don't think everyone is aphex lol. I can just hear a ton of his influence in these tracks whether they're by him or a collective, I don't really know.

data sync is just blatantly sampling rdj all over the place, sure is one way to make people think you're him. (:

i tried to explain to Richard when he said the same thing on facebook that Aphex twin is the master of the glitch, and none of the glitching in EDM A2 or B2 display the same level of mastery and skill in how to employ a glitch effect. Richard of all people should know the tell-tale trademark sound of the spectral time stretch burst/fill RDJ is so fond of. That seemingly no other 'braindance' producer besides Wisp knows how to do correctly.

i tried to explain to Richard when he said the same thing on facebook that Aphex twin is the master of the glitch, and none of the glitching in EDM A2 or B2 display the same level of mastery and skill in how to employ a glitch effect. Richard of all people should know the tell-tale trademark sound of the spectral time stretch burst/fill RDJ is so fond of. That seemingly no other 'braindance' producer besides Wisp knows how to do correctly.

Could you link a few examples please? Sounds cool

Guest skibby

Could you link a few examples please? Sounds cool

hehe, yeah cool story bro, lets hear it some of that

It's all over Death Fuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELjbEUaH0s0

1:12 - 1:15

1:40 - 1:44

1:58 - 2:04

5:13 - 5:15

these are glitch effects I've noticed in pretty much every 'drill' track RDJ has made since Windowlicker and maybe even on some of the come to daddy stuff (not sure about this)

apparantly most of the people recreating his sound either don't notice this or don't bother to do it, I suppose it's subtle enough to some people, but not to me. It's extremely trademark and very uniquely aphex.

Im not exactly sure what he's using or what he's doing but it sounds like either a more sophisticated time stretching algorithm than most people use (like something akin to paulstretch but pre-dated it because aphex has been doing this for a while). If i were to take a guess I'd say it's either Kyma, Metasynth or something like Spear or Soundhack (for non realtime fx)

in this song especially he's using it to let some of the upper harmonics of the drum and other sounds to sort of 'ring out' in the same way somebody would do a typical time stretch drop before a beat comes back in. The first example i posted could just be a processed quick comb filter effect, but as you will see they sound very similar to the elusive spectral glitch technique he uses.

so my advice to any AFX inspired artist out there, try to reverse engineer this technique for extra authenticity.

the drumming in that Rob Kidley track is using a combination of comb filtering /tight delay times/ stuttering effects and pitchdrop/tape stop effects. Pretty widely used by most IDM/glitchy producers. Like i said, probably understandably very subtle for people to notice, especially for those who don't produce music or havent tried to do make this type of music before.

My take is that whoever is making all of these tracks, whether it be Jodey or somebody else has a very intuitive and creative way of channeling the sort of RDJ compositional style, especially his more dark and less up-beat style of melodies and atmospheres. It's extremely well done, it doesn't sound like simple paint by numbers aphex imitation. It sounds like he's captured some of the same lightning in a bottle. But it's self evident that whoever is behind these tracks is not up to speed of Aphex's technical production abilities and knowledge of software and hardware. And just so people don't think i'm in any way claiming that Jodey is not a good producer, I think he's amazing. I've been listening to his last 2 cds a lot recently. If i tried to do what he does I would fail miserably. I just know Aphex twin when I hear it and this is not aphex twin. The only people I think could actually pass the Aphex sound alike test are Luke Vibert and Squarepusher and if Wisp really wanted to he could as well, but he chooses to venture off into a bunch of different directions instead.

• 1 month later...
Guest dylanmcknd

Just got mine and I am now at track 7 and it is one of the best Rephlex releases in a while. I would be very suprised if AFX wasn't involved in this one, but I don't really want to know, listen to it like it is a new Tuss album and it is. Listen to it like another Jodey Kendrick album and it is. Make of it what you will, they won't tell you anyway.

The album design is also totally according Rephlex' standards...:

"We also place alot of emphasis on graphics - label and sleeve layouts are often sub-standard and there is absolutely no excuse for this, especially when shops charge so much for records today."

:emb:

Did they actually say that at one point?

Cuz I just got this and Steel Erector in the mail today and the cover insert is crinkled, the jewel case is dirty, it didn't come in shrink wrap and the Steel Erector case was broken.

And everything inside the EDM jewel case is completely white.

CDs ripped fine however.

Guest Papillon

Just got mine and I am now at track 7 and it is one of the best Rephlex releases in a while. I would be very suprised if AFX wasn't involved in this one, but I don't really want to know, listen to it like it is a new Tuss album and it is. Listen to it like another Jodey Kendrick album and it is. Make of it what you will, they won't tell you anyway.

The album design is also totally according Rephlex' standards...:

"We also place alot of emphasis on graphics - label and sleeve layouts are often sub-standard and there is absolutely no excuse for this, especially when shops charge so much for records today."

:emb:

Did they actually say that at one point?

Yep they said that on the photocopy that came with ABB III.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Whoever is behind this album, and I have my suspicions as well... I used this method of listening to test some assumptions: I went from Plus Ten to Steel Erector and then right into EDM A2 and B2. If this is Jodey Kendrick, he has changed, matured, revamped, evolved and varied his style A LOT. But all within AFX's spectre, which is very strange. Plus Ten and Steel Erector didn't sound as much AFX-related to me. Even Varla from Black Narcissus doesn't really sound similar to Plus Ten and Steel Erector. Another mystery for us to ponder.

Data sync and Compo Mendez are the most suspicious to me still.

Good compilations these ones are.

C2 pls...

Yeah, especially those two + Heidi Lord's track (Heidi Kann Brauchen). And some tracks do have a certain Aleksi Perala (Alain Kepler = Perala ...kenli, or whatever) and a massive Drexciya sound, but that's pretty much ruled out so meh. I must say that Jodey has mastered a lot of different styles over the years anyway, so anything could go. He said himself on here that it has more people contributing to this then just him right?

Whoever it is, I still enjoy these on a regular basis, absolutely brilliant albums, among the very best of 2013.

Whoever it is, I still enjoy these on a regular basis, absolutely brilliant albums, among the very best of 2013.

Same here! Some of the best music to come out of Rephlex for years. Love it. It's so audacious to release such high quality albums without ANY promotion whatsoever. It almost doesn't make sense. Mainly this is what fuels most of my suspicions. And then someone on discogs puts all those pseudonyms under the Jodey umbrella. And Jodey suddenly becomes like the most advanced producer of the Rephlex family? Someone is clearly teasing us. When the synths kick in on Submerged Pulsar by Alain Kepler, I always have kind of an AFX flashback. This airy, nostalgia-infused atmosphere... I agree about Compo Mendez and Heidi Lord as well. Wonderful albums.

Someone is clearly teasing us.

Well obviously Rephlex like screwing with us with the weird releases and fake bios and pseudonyms and such, but I don't think it's inconceivable that Jodey truly is that talented/prolific. It's silly how everything slightly AFX-y is assumed to be the work of RDJ.

I just think JK has a bunch of different styles he plays around with. His Jidomatix stuff sounds pretty similar to the EDM tracks - kind of Drukqs style. I personally love his dark electro stuff, especially the Black Narcissus X album.

Black Narcissus is interesting for sure, I still think Varla could be a bit more but I get what he's going for and I like it. But you're right. Jodey might be that good and a completely egoless, spiritually advanced artist who doesn't mind that his music will forever be attributed to everyone but himself. I'd like to say to this illuminated individual: try finding your own style, buddy. Stop copying your heroes. But I doubt he will listen. Hehe.

data sync is just blatantly sampling rdj all over the place, sure is one way to make people think you're him. (:

Or it would be the best way to make people think you're not Aphex, while you are him, because you are sampling yourself, which isn't considered stantard in the milieu.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread for some “is it or isn’t it him” bs but I have stronger suspicions that the rob fidley tracks have something to do with richard after hearing these tracks again post-syro.

The sample of the woman in data sync sounds a lot like the same person in produk 29. Saying close to the same thing. It even does that crazy fz-1 sampling trick he mentions in the Dave noyze interview. Also, the plucked sounds toward the end sound like they came from the Wilsonic app which he mentioned being fond of. Don’t know if it was available back then.

Men part 2 has that vowel bass sound of fenix funk. The mix of both tracks are so similar to the tuss. The thinned out reverberated 606 or 808 snare. Listening to them on nura phones is a treat :)

If it is jodey, I’d say he had access to Rich’s gear or maybe it’s a collab. His material is great and stands on its own but the rob fidley tracks have the feeling of something else.

I’d go out on a limb and say that Alain Kepler has all the aesthetics both sonically and with track titles and name to maybe be the work of Gerald Donald as well.

I mentioned p much all of that on FB recently and Grant responded to me that I was wrong, it's all 100% JK.

Data Sync, Men part 2, and Compo Mendes have always given me a certain vibe that no JK track does + he hasn't made other tracks quite like that if it was solely him. 

Not to diminish his talent, JK is obviously super talented and I enjoy his music. But those tracks have always been a bit diff for me - oh and maybe a coincidence but - the first time I posted these thoughts in this thread somewhere, JK added me on FB like 10 minutes later. lol

Archived