IGNORED

Photodementia - Fig. 04

Redruth

Yeah, Bernard Davies became Dave Barnard OK, but Victor 'Creative Doubt' Beaudet and the chick are still there despite his coming out.

Victor Beaudet:

tylerdurden.jpg

Ellen O'Maley:

294420-139332-hobbes_large.jpg

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest behindthebeats

Dave playing a mix of '1 year later' from the new EP

fuck it's monolith!....this isn't 1 yr later though?

its a reworking; check 1.02 in the track with 0.23 in the video

Anyway that track was linked earlier in the thread in both youtube and soundcloud dj mix form.

The problem we have in accepting Monolith solo lies in other compositions. Why do you do all AFX on fake 90s electro record? Why so much dedication to the myth from Rephlex when they usually release stuff lazily years after it's ready, even when dealing with similar "must be AFX" mystery like Steinvord.

edit: suggesting that Photodementia label is patronised by Rephlex, of course. It's completely their style in everything down to the barcode.

Guest cult fiction

The CD compilation is sort've mythos destroying - Bernard Davies is retcon'd to Dave Barnard, it's a CD called Fig. 04c despite containing tracks from Fig. 03c(which was supposed to have been released in 1997), Ellen O'Maley is mistyped as Ellen O'Maly, and nowhere does it have the year it was created on it like the others.

Photodementia was one of Rephlex's best executed hoaxes ever...

Kinda enjoying the Labryinthine.

Bunch stuff on their youtube

Photodimentia is Monolith

Monolith is AFX

AFX is Harry Potter

Harry Potter is Neo

Neo is a AI feedback loop on the internet

Q.E.D.

<p>I'm not 100% convinced that Photodimentia (At least some of the tracks) are RDJ, but i am far more convinced that this has his hand in it than i was with Steinvord or Jidomatix or anything on the EDM comp.  To me the synthesis expertise is on full display. The type of FM analog synthesis basslines being used here don't sound like Monolith's soft-synth approach. They sound a lot closer to Analord or Tuss.  The way it has an 80s throwback sound reminds me of Synthacon 9 more than any other Rephlex act doing retro 80s stuff ie: DMX crew.  It is mixed impeccably well, which i cannot say about anything off EDM 2 or any of the Jidomatix youtube videos (on laptop speakers they sound like they *could* be RDJ, but on actual speakers the illusion is totally destroyed). The biggest point against these being RDJ are that they're very loopy and don't change very much, but who's to say he didn't just make really loopy tracks?  I don't think Gerald Donald had anything to do with them either, unless he's advanced his synthesis techniques since his last release. The only other person i could see being involved in this is maybe Sherard Ingram, since his stuff still sounds mostly analog synth and hardware centric</p>

Anyway that track was linked earlier in the thread in both youtube and soundcloud dj mix form.

The problem we have in accepting Monolith solo lies in other compositions. Why do you do all AFX on fake 90s electro record? Why so much dedication to the myth from Rephlex when they usually release stuff lazily years after it's ready, even when dealing with similar "must be AFX" mystery like Steinvord.

the fact that the myth is more elaborately constructed than even the Tuss was, i have to say this is probably (besides the music) the most convincing case that it could have something to do with Aphex.

<p>I'm not 100% convinced that Photodimentia (At least some of the tracks) are RDJ, but i am far more convinced that this has his hand in it than i was with Steinvord or Jidomatix or anything on the EDM comp.  To me the synthesis expertise is on full display. The type of FM analog synthesis basslines being used here don't sound like Monolith's soft-synth approach. They sound a lot closer to Analord or Tuss.  The way it has an 80s throwback sound reminds me of Synthacon 9 more than any other Rephlex act doing retro 80s stuff ie: DMX crew.  It is mixed impeccably well, which i cannot say about anything off EDM 2 or any of the Jidomatix youtube videos (on laptop speakers they sound like they *could* be RDJ, but on actual speakers the illusion is totally destroyed). The biggest point against these being RDJ are that they're very loopy and don't change very much, but who's to say he didn't just make really loopy tracks?  I don't think Gerald Donald had anything to do with them either, unless he's advanced his synthesis techniques since his last release. The only other person i could see being involved in this is maybe Sherard Ingram, since his stuff still sounds mostly analog synth and hardware centric</p>

While I generally agree the EDM tracks were not up to snuff so to speak to Aphex's typical aesthetics, if you are to say "but who's to say he didn't just make really loopy tracks" could it not also be possible he intentionally doesn't polish the EDM tracks? I don't know a lot about music production so I'm just generally interested in how an artists sound is somehow instilled in them and unavoidable.

no i really dont think so, the EDM tracks sound to me like tell-tale Aphex aping. Steinvord on the other hand sounds polished as fucking hell, in terms of the EQ,mixing,mastering,compression, etc. It might also be aphex aping, but whoever's doing it is a very accomplished producer/engineer. The EDM stuff (specifcally Jidomatix, since i havent paid much attention to the others) sounds like it was done by a very accomplished musician who is leagues behind aphex in terms of the other aspects of production ie: mixing the bass and snare of a chopped up break to smash you in the gut and sound really clean the same way Aphex knows how. Since from a music production standpoint it takes much more time and work to compose a good track than it does to mix a good composition to sound good, i find your theory unlikely. Mixing and engineering are more bread and butter skills that you can apply to everything you make, especially if you're working in a similar sound palette on each track. the composition aspect is something any musician will struggle with.

That makes sense but theoretically if he wanted them to sound "unfinished" he would be able to, right? Basically I have no idea but part of me thinks if Aphex were to try and fool people, he would probably do so if he had a solid stockpile of tracks that were kind of sketches for later evaluation and completion depending. His process could involve letting things rest as he has said in interviews (lol) that he prefers to not release anything new, mostly stuff that is a few years old. Again, no idea either way and its unlikely as you said, but if the intent was to pull off successful "tusses" it does make some sense for him to not initially fully deliver in quality. I guess we will have to wait and see. Hopefully does not come across as disrespectful towards Jodey/Monolith, but it isn't as if they have done interviews or live shows yet (at least to my knowledge), so like Burial or something, people are bound to start thinking things. And yes there are faces to these artists, they DJ, but again if Richard really did want to pull this off and basically establish a fake new electronic genius over a period of time (lol) it would be pretty reasonable/simple to just have a DJ/close friend manage the facebook accounts / DJ etc for payment. Not to mention, with a cut from the DJ shows, he'd be increasing his submarine fund.

Guest cult fiction

iirc the original idea behind the tuss was to let people focus on the music rather than the person behind it. If you look at the photodementia, edm 2, steinvord, etc. threads they are 80% about who created it rather than debating the merits of the music itself. Seems like the mystery stuff had the opposite of the intended effect, at least on watmm.

There are even people who are convinced dave barnard and jodey kendrick are actors paid by rephlex. Would that be the case had there never been a tuss?

iirc the original idea behind the tuss was to let people focus on the music rather than the person behind it. If you look at the photodementia, edm 2, steinvord, etc. threads they are 80% about who created it rather than debating the merits of the music itself. Seems like the mystery stuff had the opposite of the intended effect, at least on watmm.

There are even people who are convinced dave barnard and jodey kendrick are actors paid by rephlex. Would that be the case had there never been a tuss?

I think it's a possibility. I'm unconvinced either way. It's mysterious and I think somewhat intentional. The name monolith itself or steinvord, or J.K.

monolith.jpg

Really, I enjoy the music first. It's just a bit of fun to speculate.

Guest cult fiction

As a further thought, I feel like the VHS head threads took a major turn for the better once everybody knew it was adrian blacow. Also, look at the general quality of the Autechre exai threads for an example of people actually talking about the music.

What does not knowing somebody's name/identity really add? A lot of artists are on facebook and it doesn't cheapen the music. Music is a window into somebody's internal world. Just because somebody is a real person with a real job, friends, etc. doesn't really tell you much, but it does end tiresome speculation.

As a further thought, I feel like the VHS head threads took a major turn for the better once everybody knew it was adrian blacow. Also, look at the general quality of the Autechre exai threads for an example of people actually talking about the music.

What does not knowing somebody's name/identity really add? A lot of artists are on facebook and it doesn't cheapen the music. Music is a window into somebody's internal world. Just because somebody is a real person with a real job, friends, etc. doesn't really tell you much, but it does end tiresome speculation.

I'm not overly enthralled with Monolith, Steinvord, J.K. at least as compared to the Tuss. Definitely some really amazing tracks, but The Tuss is pretty hard to match. So while it's certainly very exciting to hear such great music from new producers and see how they progress, I want more Tuss shit eventually as well lol. If the theory is correct, that would more likely entail some kind of final act. The prestige. aka Metz track probs. I don't think its strange at all to hope one of Watmm's sub-forum artists hasn't fallen off the map completely like boc. Which is a bias, but I am still unconvinced either way and am just speculating.

You are free to ignore speculation. I would comment on this album if I could but haven't listened yet.

Guest cult fiction

I guess one situation where knowing who an artist hurts is if they're a raging asshole/plagarist, I'm sure everybody can think of at least one. But most of the time, knowing a few facts about someone really tells you nothing about where their tracks are coming from. I mean, everybody on this forum has interacted with Wisp about all sorts of mundane real world topics, but then you listen to something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDPHl1NjXH8

and you get a glimpse into a much more mysterious and interesting inner world.

That's one of my favorite Wisp tracks. And I agree with your general point, but it seems to ignore the question of afx activity and if he is at all interested in releasing music anymore. It's an entirely different perspective than needing to know personal information. If Steinvord is a spanish kid, Monolith, J.K. then that probably means AFX hasn't released music since 2007 (not including analord additions). And that's all I am interested in knowing. Their personal information is unimportant... dj mixes, interview about producing/creative process, are of interest though. Sometimes political viewpoints even. John Lennon, not saying his political viewpoints were that interesting, but its not unnatural or wrong to be interested in the perspective of highly respected people. Their choice on whether or not they think they have something interesting to say. But non the less, the music is separate from the creator. It is its own time/place and self. So yes you are right about these other things not being the meat and potatoes.

I think Awepittance makes a really good point about the production on Photodementia.

I don't care what anyone says, I am not going to believe that either release had more than a nominal influence from Monolith unless there is irrefutable proof, because I just don't think he's capable of making something like Fig. 03. Neither emotionally/creatively or in production chops.

Honestly, I think it would make a lot of sense if the shitty tracks on youtube that didnt make it to release were Monolith's, and nothing else. first, to throw people off the scent of it being AFX, without ruining the quality of the physical release. second, because I dont believe monolith is capible of doing something stylistically that AFX hasn't done first, and it makes total sense that he would be in on Photodementia being AFX, and thinking "oh hey I should ape this too" and going off and making shallow photodementia sound-alikes.

If I am wrong, and proof surfaces that monolith made all the tracks, then I will absolutely have more respect for him.

and if that is the case, and monolith keeps up with WATMM, then I owe him an apology. Otherwise though...

edit: I should specify though, I don't in fact have solid belief that this is afx either, I'm just going into hypotheticals here

i mean i haven't heard the CD or vinyl quality tracks myself, maybe if someone out there would provide a context for the music for me to make a better judgement i could judge more accurately

Archived