IGNORED

Photodementia - Fig. 04

Redruth

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cult fiction

CD is the only physical format in 2013 that makes sense.

Rephlex knows that. Because they're amazing.

Quite the opposite - CD is the only common physical format whose sound can be reproduced exactly by digital files(.flac and to a lesser extent .mp3).

Cassettes and vinyl both, for better or worse, considerably affect the sound. No two vinyl records sound the same - this is even reflected in rips. They also degrade with time and use, which is interesting.

I don't see the value in CDs anymore - from a collectible standpoint, vinyl is a much larger and more beautiful overall package. Cassettes are goofy and fun. I always found CDs ugly, and that's coming from somebody who never owned vinyl before 2010.

Guest cult fiction

The bits of the new record that I heard on youtube sound much cleaner and afx-y than the last one. It's almost like they actually emulated artists going from 1997 -> 2000, upgrading to a computer, no longer recording to tape, editing more, etc.

They also sound a lot more like Dave Monolith than the last one. The Bernard Davies -> Dave Barnard thing is pretty obvious. Victor Beaudot is an anagram of Creative Doubt - does that mean anything to anyone?

Quite the opposite - CD is the only common physical format whose sound can be reproduced exactly by digital files(.flac and to a lesser extent .mp3).

Cassettes and vinyl both, for better or worse, considerably affect the sound. No two vinyl records sound the same - this is even reflected in rips. They also degrade with time and use, which is interesting.

I don't see the value in CDs anymore - from a collectible standpoint, vinyl is a much larger and more beautiful overall package. Cassettes are goofy and fun. I always found CDs ugly, and that's coming from somebody who never owned vinyl before 2010.

I'm going to have to side with Cult Fiction :cerious: .....face culler?

I'm going to have to side with Cult Fiction :cerious: .....face culler?
Yea, crackle and fuzz is just great.

And flol cassetes. What a dumb gimmicky format.

If labels are going to release on a physical format, cd should always be one of the options. If not, the label is shit.

The joke is on them. Once the dementia has set in they are going to forget who made what. I'm pretty sure WR7 uses some of the same synths from The Tuss. Really if it isn't Aphex I would go with JK, but that is solely based on the fact that he has work to compare it to. If someone more obscure from the Rephlex camp is involved it would be almost impossible discern. Also, ATP4 vocals reminds me of the stuff GG and Emma Catnip were doing recently, but then again every british chick probably sounds similar to me with this vocal style. I tried really hard to find the tracks to compare, but I couldn't find them. I think they actually got posted here on watmm somewhere.

Also, to be fair. I really warmed up to Ufabulum so I feel bad for my early negative comments.

The great thing about CDs these days is no-one seems to want them anymore so stores are selling their old stock for next to nothing (about the same price or even cheaper than the equivalent files for the same album in many cases, and better quality in principle if we're talking lossy files). Great way to deal with the backlog of releases you always liked but never ended up buying, and you still get a collectible physical item.

Vinyl has more of that charm but sometimes it's nice to play up to 80 minutes of music without having to change sides, and it's still more involved than playing files (that's the irrational part but whatever). They are also great to fall asleep to if you don't have an automatic turntable. :biggrin:

The bits of the new record that I heard on youtube sound much cleaner and afx-y than the last one. It's almost like they actually emulated artists going from 1997 -> 2000, upgrading to a computer, no longer recording to tape, editing more, etc.

They also sound a lot more like Dave Monolith than the last one. The Bernard Davies -> Dave Barnard thing is pretty obvious. Victor Beaudot is an anagram of Creative Doubt - does that mean anything to anyone?

Regarding Victor Beaudot being anagram for Creative Doubt, one more interesting coincidence with this quote earlier in the thread

Random Bit: In the interview NME did with rich, or which ever one where they ask him about living in the bank. He says that his downstairs neighbor 'Victor" creates loads of music, but never showed rich because he thought he might not like it.

Wow those tracks. Postpre is indeed so Afx-y I would be perplex if it's not him... It confuses me because I don't think he's behind the fig. 03 release. Does this means it has to be several artists ? Enjoying the music a lot anyway. Can't wait to listen to that in a proper quality

The ending of Postpre is so Monolith, it's undeniable. Still, I hear Gerald Donald and AFX all over the place in other tracks. I give up guessing. The full tracks sound fucking great.

Official facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/PhotodementiaRecords

Also lead to a deserted twitter page. That's an awful lot of social media for such a "mythical" project.

Sounds too derivative, don't like it, first album sounded much more unique and forward in attitude.

Herr Jan ever head of homages? It's possible that's other people trying to sound like those artists you mentioned.

Sounds too derivative, don't like it, first album sounded much more unique and forward in attitude.

Herr Jan ever head of homages? It's possible that's other people trying to sound like those artists you mentioned.

Yep, that's most certainly the case. Ruled out both Gerald or aphex already earlier in this thread. As I said, I give up guessing, and caring.

People like yourself are too snobby when it comes to music like this tbh. All Genres of music are constantly churning out music that is copying each other. You come along and moan about a genre that often uses the same sounds and synths and expect it to sound completely different. You'll be hard pushed to find something different with every record that comes out.

A+ release imo

People like yourself are too snobby when it comes to music like this tbh. All Genres of music are constantly churning out music that is copying each other. You come along and moan about a genre that often uses the same sounds and synths and expect it to sound completely different. You'll be hard pushed to find something different with every record that comes out.

A+ release imo

Not true and completely baseless, I liked Last Step's Sleep album a lot.

he great thing about CDs these days is no-one seems to want them anymore so stores are selling their old stock for next to nothing (about the same price or even cheaper than the equivalent files for the same album in many cases, and better quality in principle if we're talking lossy files). Great way to deal with the backlog of releases you always liked but never ended up buying, and you still get a collectible physical item.

My feelings exactly. I'm loving CDs right now.

Archived