• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

finally got around to reading dune and am sad to want to put it down after 200 pages or so. the culture and world building is really exciting, but man, it really does read like a children's book. herbert tells us exactly what every major character is feeling and thinking to the point of leaving nothing up to our imagination. incredibly annoying. am no literary critic, but i suppose "show, don't tell" is really applicable here.

excited for villeneuve's adaptation nonetheless. might get around to watching lynch's dune instead of reading this trite writing...

also haven't seen the documentary bout jodorowsky's dune being mentioned here. i'd highly recommend it. almost makes you happy his project failed

8 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

i really like villeneuve and will for sure see this but fuck me the remake industry is becoming so hard to stomach. real dying culture vibes

villeneuve really needs to write something of his own eh. i'm okay with scifi epics like blade runner and dune getting adapted/remade though. they make for good movies and to be fair dune has had it coming for a good while

13 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

Cannot wait for this new one, whenever it eventually arrives....

Shooting is done since a few months now, and the movie is in the post-production status.

2 hours ago, Jafs said:

Shooting is done since a few months now, and the movie is in the post-production status.

I guess I was thinking about the cinema log-jam as the world reopens after Covid-19.... the release schedule has taken a hammering and it really could be a long while before cinemas open again...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thumbass said:

Still need to finish the book series, ive been stuck in the middle of children of dune since the end of last year

Children is wild but I enjoyed it. And the rest of the books after that really move well and tell a weird as fuck but interesting story imo, even if they are each definitely less powerful than the first book.

47 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

I guess I was thinking about the cinema log-jam as the world reopens after Covid-19.... the release schedule has taken a hammering and it really could be a long while before cinemas open again...

didn’t really consider that relating to Dune, yeah...maybe they’ll push it back and take a little more time editing and with effects, really polish it all

1 minute ago, auxien said:

Children is wild but I enjoyed it. And the rest of the books after that really move well and tell a weird as fuck but interesting story imo, even if they are each definitely less powerful than the first book.

didn’t really consider that relating to Dune, yeah...maybe they’ll push it back and take a little more time editing and with effects, really polish it all

Yeah I need to get back into the books. I haven't touched a book since december 2019, I remember stopping reading children of dune at around the 500th page or so.

• Sad 1

I basically spent last year reading the whole Dune series. It gets more and more fucked up as the books go. Considering reading the 1st one once again (for the 4th time IIRC ?) before the movie gets released.

18 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

i really like villeneuve and will for sure see this but fuck me the remake industry is becoming so hard to stomach. real dying culture vibes

It's really disillusioning and I often feel indirectly gaslighted by the masses via reddit especially when it comes to recycled retro aesthetics and references and being cynical and bitter about how much it's ingrained in pop culture now. I say this too as a retro culture junkie (but in the obscure and oddball sense)

It's happening in niche music as well, I dunno if it has to do with the decline of record stores, distro, and fanzines and forums but it seems related. Truly interesting vaporwave and retro music in general gets drowned out by reposts of watered down, redundant imagery and music. There's a plethora of cookie cutter synthwave / outrun artists getting cheap but effective followings while longtime producers (Mitch Murder being a good example) or those making less overt and more subtle well crafted retro music (Phono Ghosts, VHS Head, Datassette) are criminally overlooked. Even Com Truise isn't ubiquitous among these communities.

Adaptations are getting pretty bland or superficial as well, even if done well production wise. Ender's Game, Wrinkle In Time, The Giver. I didn't bother watching the Giver based on the trailer, everything else about looked like dozens of other vague dystopian lite films of the 90s and 00s. 

Remakes are almost becoming endearing (sometimes) compared to this increasing onslaught of recycled meta pop culture. I think Stranger Things got away with but there was legit backlash at that show. Ready Player One is the big obvious offender. When I watched Lego Movie 2 and Wreck Ralph 2 I was struck by how much it felt like an ad. I don't mean like 80s/90s era Saturday Morning Cartoons created to prop up toylines either. Both movies felt like showcases for existing franchises in lieu of forging any remotely original or even half-assed novel character. My son recognizes a few of them (star wars) but as a 4 year old most of it was just colorful noise. On the flipside I could throw on some older classic film (not a remake) and there's a baseline of appreciation for any new viewer to glean, not just pure nostalgia. 

And retro references can be done well. Pixar's newest movie Onward had it's heavy nods to circa 70s/80s era suburban America and D&D but they were nods and backing to an actual original and endearing story. It wasn't groundbreaking plot wise but it was a sincere, earnest animated family film. 

There's a very real chance that new media markets and studios beyond Hollywood will be the sea change of new, original content to come. A lot of high budget stuff is being made in China or Europe and then dubbed with well known American actors, licensed, and distributed in a way that would make it hard to know it was "foreign." Again, referenced animated films Next Gen and Little Prince come to mind.

Edited by joshuatxuk
  • Like 2

The Lynch movie is good but totally flubs the ending and misses the point. 

The extremely low-budget 2000-era SciFi channel miniseries director’s cut is the definitive adaptation. None of these idiots in this new one even look like they know how to wear a hat. 

C8050C55-E85B-438B-94CF-20649DA3FB63.jpeg.2a0121069e62c4f225289acaccaf933b.jpeg

915D6EEE-C710-4482-A8B6-1538AE98F293.jpeg.419cc5bbb48b0b66bc386d6711498e03.jpeg

7818C3A1-C792-4C17-A45F-212C766E214A.png.4d90a7637775cdf757a66a034c619001.png

9127FFCD-D972-4455-80D3-D4F152A260B9.jpeg.fcb5d6614de0c8de71403150c665f458.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim_J said:

haven’t seen this mentioned by anyone, is it just a rumor? I know stuff used to get put up on IMDB even if it wasn’t legit, dunno if that still happens...

20 minutes ago, splbt said:

-

awwwww I missed it. insert sad Rihanna gif.

12 minutes ago, auxien said:

haven’t seen this mentioned by anyone, is it just a rumor? I know stuff used to get put up on IMDB even if it wasn’t legit, dunno if that still happens...

no idea, was browsing for dune stuff on imdb and came across that...

53 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

no idea, was browsing for dune stuff on imdb and came across that...

oh i just looked, was originally Spaihts (sp?) but his pitch sucked and so Villeneuve is set to executive produce/direct the pilot...but last news was in Nov/Dec last year so maybe it's on the backburner for now? or who knows obv. lots of TV shows get 'greenlighted' then never actually happen so ....could be interesting tho. the Bene Gesserit are probably the most intriguing part of the universe for me.