IGNORED

The Coffee Thread™

Candiru

i bought a bunch of ginseng tea in chinatown yesterday, perhaps that will give me the stimulant kick like in the early days of drinking coffee

now i mostly drink coffee for the flavour + it helps me poop

((currently drinking santropol coffee))

^ Im in mexico city where luckily one can get great coffee.  But in much of mexico, cafe de olla is often all that is on offer, and I have never had a good one- its always a weak, watery, sugary mess.  Just seeing that picture makes me shudder, its that bad.

There are great nationally produced beans here too.  My only qualm is that they all have a similar flavor profile, and living in the US made me spoiled with all the different varieties (ethiopian, indonesian, oh my!) which are harder/expensive to find here

thank fuck for espresso coffee. i feel sorry for people that do not have access to this fine italian creation and are forced to drink plunger or filter coffee. whenever i see US tv and movies this coffee looks weak af, semi-transparent light brown bullshit. i'm glad yall caught up in most places but i understand espresso is still not exactly the norm. coffee must be black and opaque with the bubbly shit on top (crema). don't even think about adding milk and sugar either - that's not coffee, that's coffee with milk and sugar.

You got the right idea. But you can still make strong coffee in a drip thing. Some people are just babies.

I've been on my moka pot kick for a bit, but if I go to Dunkin Donuts, I'm appalled at the sheer weakness of it. It's basically sugary coffee flavored milk and it makes me sad.

i'm all outta cream again so tomorrow morning preworkout is either gonna be

A. stimulant tea from chinatown

B. grunge-ass gas station coffee

if i opt for B imma treat myself & walk to the slightly further gas station that has an expresso machine, get a double shot inside of the regular coffee & immediately start hootin and hollerin

^i usually put 35 or 40% cream in my coffee, but most of my friends think i'm weird for doing that. typically the cream available at cafes would be more in the 10-18% range, and a lot of people would opt for 2% milk instead of that

Yeah, speaking of Starbucks, they’re thinking of opening one in the North End of Boston, which is just blasphemy and completely unnecessary. It has an unlimited supply of espresso made by authentic Italian speaking coffee virtuosos. No one with half a brain will pick Starbucks over that. Plus all the cafes everywhere else have the good shit like George Howell coffee.

^a similar thing happened here a couple years back when they slapped a starbucks in the jean talon market, and the general consensus amongst the public was "yo this is the place tourists come to get fancy artisan food & buy from small local farms, why are we putting the most omnipresent coffee chain in North America here?"

oddly enough tho there's no tim hortons' in my immediate vicinity afaik, like i'm pretty sure i'd have to hike down to the lower plateau to get that swit swit gigantic monster coffee they sell

Yeah, people don't go to Starbucks or any chains or whatever because it's necessarily better, it's for convenience, consistency, and general experience quality. If I walk into Johnny's Cafe in some town I've never been to, the coffee could be amazing, or it could be shit. The bathroom could be disgusting. Maybe they're expensive, who knows what. I can walk into pretty much any Starbucks and know what I'm getting...same goes for burgers or whatever. I'm not just saying this for me, because I tend towards the 'try something different and local' when possible, but in general, that's the situation.

In Massachusetts, and New England in general, Dunkin Donuts is very much the "McDonalds of Coffee". More omnipresent than Starbucks, I shit you not. It sort of remakes coffee into Normie Fuel. But they're around every corner and it works, I guess. 

DunkinFifty-011440.png

Edited by Candiru

Starbucks is home, mcdonalds is home. I can sit down, plug in, and have all my favorite beverages and sweets and savory treats.

Also, McDonald’s has the best road coffee in the US, way better than sbux black. But gas station coffee will always be something special. I like to get 3/4 coffee and then a shot of French vanilla latte.

I do think I should switch to tea. I love matcha but can’t afford the good stuff.

This is bullshit. You have to look so hard to find espresso that isn’t burnt and rancid. The most soulless coffee on earth. I swear. There are more quality espresso joints in my town than there are in all of Venice. They may have invented it but to me it’s the same thing as saying Roland still makes groundbreaking gear.

had my last shift at my restaurant job tonight & they gave me some of the sample packets of fancy expresso that local(?) smalltime brewers make

hella excit

will share notes & weblinks after i properly try them out

Okay so that pour over coffee with light roasts actually just tastes like green beans I realized. It’s hot, brown green bean water.

I hadn't used my coffee maker in at least a couple years and my buddy wanted to use it yesterday so I did some vigorous cleaning following an article I found online. Cleaned it with vinegar and water and many cycles so good as new.

french press for life, gentlemen. making cold brew concentrate in mine lately though as it's been hotter than blood outside

when north americans say cream, do they mean full-cream (not skim / lite) milk? i've put actual cream in my coffee before and it's pretty nice, but i think most places here would treat you weird if you asked for it.

as a general rule, if you ask for cream, you get half&half (which is half cream in UK, so light cream diluted with whole milk)

Starbucks is home, mcdonalds is home. I can sit down, plug in, and have all my favorite beverages and sweets and savory treats.

totally dude, even better if you find one in an recycled-air mini-mall so you can cop a couple t-shirts with logos on them later