IGNORED

Rustie - Slasher

Guest jasondonervan

d'Fuck with all these happy trance-era build-ups? First sign of dance music stagnation. I would prefer vapourwave over this any day on working week, not weekend though, i enjoy countryside.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watmm Review

What the fuck was that?
It's "Slasher" by Rustie, a great track with a dope summer festival vibe that many people will probably sell their own grandma for to hear on a dance floor.
There are questions around how you're supposed to dance to the part in the breakdown but the buildup and everything else about the track is excelent. One thing is for sure though, it's skrillex rhythm, and as usual for fans of skrillex, nitrous, bro fists and all-over print hoodies, you should prepare to flail intensely when this track is solo'ed.
Although the track would probably only work on a dance floor a cynical old fart who's getting too old for drops could still enjoy this track in his favourite listening situation.
Rustie usually has a really good taste and ability to make things sound good. Synths,production,space and claps sounds top notch most of the times. Dispite of his technical production skills "Slasher" really does veer dangerously into mau5 territory and would probably turn out better as a straight up house or techno track.
So if you're not really feeling it the track would probably end up sounding like a lot of tracks in this genre at the moment. Very forgettable.
A ridiculous synth lead or something could help. It's just too bad that the track seems to be frowned upon in recent music of this style. Speaking of which, when are people gonna get over slow music? It would be nice with some fast shit to dance to again!
Otherwise Slasher" is running the risk of beeing looked upon as a bad all-modern-dance-music's-greatest-hits-in-one-track starting to remind you of the early 2000s Daft Punk ripoffs. What could save it from this is the euphoric part with the Chinese bliss melody has this sega vibe to it.
To some Rustie started off so strong with "Jagz The Smack" and it's all been downhill from there. And speaking of Rustie, what is he like 15 years old? This makes me want to die. Someone flush his head down the fucking toilet! d'Fuck with all these happy trance-era build-ups? This is the first sign of dance music stagnation. I would prefer vapourwave over this any day on working week, not weekend though, i enjoy countryside.

if the zeitgeist is a combination of the obnoxious excess of brostep with the yawn-inducing formula & creatively uninspired 808 worship of trap delivered through someone who dresses like they're 12, then i am okay with missing it.

How the fuck did this guy get signed to Warp? His shit is so obnoxiously wanky, the first LP sucked I can't imagine this is any different.

when are people gonna get over slow music? I want some fast shit to dance to again!

Pretty unremarkable overall, though I appreciate that the build-up to said 'drop' is slightly more interesting than doubling the kick BPM for 8 measures as seems to be the standard in most EDM.

Also, did something happen between him and Warp?

Born 4th January 1983

rustie.jpg

Meet your chav god.

No fucking way he is a week older than me, I look like I could be his dad.

whats with all the stupid high frequencies? it's got so many of them it's causing my brain to get very pissed at me for hearing it. i try to tell it that it's watmms fault but it won't talk to me now. thanks guys.

is rustie doing some kind of science experiment to try to find out what the actual most annoying sound of all time is?

how could anyone hear the same thing i just heard and like it, let alone thousands of people? maybe the flouride in our water isn't so harmless after all?

It's the only way the sound can play loud enough through the iphone speakers when listened to at the back of a bus.

Plus kids like lasers, they're futuristic !

Archived