IGNORED

stupid first world achievements and successes

eugene

Congrats ghOsty! Hope you pissed well

should be well clean, it's been at least 2 months since ive smoked anything, and even back then it was like less than half a gram for the first time in a while.

Congrats ghOsty! Hope you pissed well

should be well clean, it's been at least 2 months since ive smoked anything, and even back then it was like less than half a gram for the first time in a while.

and pass you shall. 

I didn't really achieve anything with this, but I was out shopping for a couch yesterday and went to a dingy little hole-in-the-wall mattress shop just to see... and the only employee there was Jason friggin' Padgett! We talked for around a half hour - super interesting guy, incredibly friendly and intelligent. I think he was pleased to meet a random person with similar interests to his, and I was damn near star-struck, asking him all sorts of questions about the nature of his experience. We went through some of his most recent mathematical notes in a little sketch pad he was carrying, which he seemed to have fun discussing. He had some high-level textbooks out on the desk, and the wall was covered in intricate pencil drawings like this (that's pi):

the-shape-of-pi-jason-padgett.jpg

Greatly enjoyed having a moment to talk to him. Turns out his dad owns the mattress shop and he was covering a shift, lol.

Also, I bought a futon.

How was his salesmanship?

Pretty good TBH. He knew a lot about mattresses, how to wash various mattress covers, which futon mattress to choose based on how often I'd be sleeping vs sitting on it, where all their material was sourced from, and all about Tempurpedic's expired patents that allow his company to sell comparable products at a fraction of the cost. Most of that info was not asked for, but I got it anyway. He did not, however, know whether my frame was mahogany or cherry. (luckily, I knew, and explained how to ID both woods to help customers in the future)

Also he gave me a discount for no reason 5X265.gif

Getting Windows 7 to install onto a USB drive using Rufus

Buying a new laptop at a good price without a charger then when it arrives, find that an old laptop charger works (!!)

The track I submitted for the Remix the Symphony contest won a spot on an EP the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra is sponsoring.  Pretty cool.  It was a reimagining of Miroirs III. Oiseaux Tristes by Maurice Ravel.

Hot damn. I want to hear that!

I'll be sure to post the EP when it's up!  Should be in the next couple weeks.

Awesome possum!

My FWS: went to a science centre with the fam over Easter weekend. They had some exhibit about the human body and one of the parts was a hearing test. Can still hear over 19kHz at 42 years old. Whoop whoop!

Awesome possum!

My FWS: went to a science centre with the fam over Easter weekend. They had some exhibit about the human body and one of the parts was a hearing test. Can still hear over 19kHz at 42 years old. Whoop whoop!

Was it "BodyWorlds" by chance???

Awesome possum!

19kHz!? That's insane. I think my drops out at around 16-17-kHz.

Awesome possum!

Yeah I thought mine would drop off at around 16kHz but to my surprise it kept going.

Stevie G: no it was a permanent exhibit at the Montreal Science Centre.

Ah gotcha, sounds like you had a good time though! I haven't been to the new science centre here in Calgary, it's been open for a few years now I've probably missed quite a few good exhibits. I've got to get back on that, used to go a few times a year.

Awesome possum!

Yeah I thought mine would drop off at around 16kHz but to my surprise it kept going.

i always wondered this, ive not actually done the test recently but i was on 18khz 3 years ago, however, why is it that i can very clearly hear the difference in music when playing with eq levels over 19khz?

Awesome possum!

i always wondered this, ive not actually done the test recently but i was on 18khz 3 years ago, however, why is it that i can very clearly hear the difference in music when playing with eq levels over 19khz?

Right! I once attended a lecture where this super old chap, who was super cool, talked about kHz for 3 hours. Someone then asked why for instance 96kHz sounded nicer than 44.1kHz since we can't hear anything about 20kHz and the guy told us that it's same reason why vinyl sounds nicer. A 44.1kHz gets cut off at 22,05kHz in a super brutal way. It's like jumping off a cliff. The roll off on 96kHz recordings is so smooth and so nice that it creates all these super subtle overtones that makes it sound as if someone lifted a blanket off your speakers.

You can try this experiment in your studio... create an analog sine signal, triangle, and then a square wave at the same frequency - for example 15kHz. In theory all the harmonics in the square wave should be 30, 45, 60 kHz and so on. And all of these frequencies should be outside of our hearing range, but you will still be able to hear a difference.

no you won't. this is a very hot topic in audio related forums i frequent, and no one has ever show the ability to differentiate "hi-res" (88-192 khz sampling rate) audio containing ultrasonic freqs above ~20khz from the same audio exactly downsampled to regular cd format (44/16).

the "clear" differences you might hear are either artifacts introduced by your system  incapable of dealing with higher freqs (inter-modulation distortion, most likely.) or placebo in most of the cases, so you should do those test blind and with properly matched levels of the two files you're comparing.

Edited by eugene

Also 44.1 does not get filtered in a brutal way, basically all modern converters are oversampled (often in the Mhz range), so the filter has a gentle slope, both in the ADC (anti-aliasing filter) and the DAC (reconstruction filter).

Edited by caze