IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

Guest dylanmcknd

On the flipside there are probably people who went into it wanting to hate it.

certainly not me, I went in wanting (hoping) to love it. I can be as cynical and grumpy as the worst of us, but I think I come round to giving things their due. I was pretty damn positive about Exai. And, after a period of adjustment, I loved Campfire Headphase.

Not sure if I'll end up the same with TH. I've been playing the heck out of it already, though, and my opinion hasn't changed, so I kind of doubt it.

I will admit to one thing, I do like to try to intuit things about artists through their work. I like to imagine I can hear their mental state, their level of creativity, how inspired they are. Sometimes I may be wrong.

If "BoC-ness" were a substance, I just feel like these tracks don't have a lot of it. BoCness being some sort of otherworldly essence, otherwordly melodies, unexpected musical flourishes that seem to come from a deep well of inspiration. Something that moves me (even in a disturbingly autistic way). The TH tracks are well polished, solid from a workmanlike perspective, but they seem to be missing much of that BoCness.

They seem to be playing it safe. Actually, after reading that interview, I think they are probably trying their hardest, but just coming up short. I mean, I just listened to "Music is Math" again. There are things I've never really liked about that track - I think the drums are mixed a bit too strongly, and the way it frays apart at the end isn't my favorite - but that one track is more chock full of ideas, sounds, and mysteries than the entire first half of TH. Really, just re-listen to it. The melody is certainly more developed that almost anything on TH.

I guess my crits of the album fall under: 1) several tracks too short, aren't given time to develop; 2) sounds too clean and digital; 3) not many good melodies; 4) some BoC by numbers (Cold Earth); 5) too many arpeggios (seems like every other track, almost); 6) not much element of surprise (I think the only track that really surprised all of us was Palace Posy, right?); 7) despite the theme, lacking that unique BoC sense of "damaged music" or "melodies from damaged minds." 8) trying too hard to be epic.

I do really like the stretch of Sick Times-Collapse-Palace Posy. And, if I'm feeling generous, could extend that run through Split-Your-Infinities-Uritual-Nothing Is Real. I don't think those are at quite the same level - Split Your Infinities sounds a bit too much like Shpongle, and Nothing is Real doesn't quite hit the spot somehow, despite the lovely Trails-like repeating melody (maybe drums are too strong, or maybe it's just too long, would work better as an interstitial track...vox are certainly interesting though).

I realize I'm being picky but that's the high standard they've set themselves to. On an emotional level, nothing on the album makes me want to exclaim "that's like a window onto my childhood!" or "that's really disturbing!", or "that makes me want to cry" or even "that's a siiiick jam!" It's all a bit safe and samey.

Those are some really good criticisms, and I actually agree with you on a lot of them.

Still though, the amount of work and polish put into the album really shines through to me. The melodies aren't typical BoC, but they're not trying to be, and it has far too many great moments.

I think this is BoC, in a lot of ways, at their most realized and solid state. What's going on here is very clear and it's obvious that BoC knew what they were doing with it, and it's so well done, imo.

Not trying to "convert" you into liking it or anything, just putting in my 2 cents.

On the flipside there are probably people who went into it wanting to hate it.

certainly not me, I went in wanting (hoping) to love it. I can be as cynical and grumpy as the worst of us, but I think I come round to giving things their due. I was pretty damn positive about Exai. And, after a period of adjustment, I loved Campfire Headphase.

Not sure if I'll end up the same with TH. I've been playing the heck out of it already, though, and my opinion hasn't changed, so I kind of doubt it.

I will admit to one thing, I do like to try to intuit things about artists through their work. I like to imagine I can hear their mental state, their level of creativity, how inspired they are. Sometimes I may be wrong.

If "BoC-ness" were a substance, I just feel like these tracks don't have a lot of it. BoCness being some sort of otherworldly essence, otherwordly melodies, unexpected musical flourishes that seem to come from a deep well of inspiration. Something that moves me (even in a disturbingly autistic way). The TH tracks are well polished, solid from a workmanlike perspective, but they seem to be missing much of that BoCness.

They seem to be playing it safe. Actually, after reading that interview, I think they are probably trying their hardest, but just coming up short. I mean, I just listened to "Music is Math" again. There are things I've never really liked about that track - I think the drums are mixed a bit too strongly, and the way it frays apart at the end isn't my favorite - but that one track is more chock full of ideas, sounds, and mysteries than the entire first half of TH. Really, just re-listen to it. The melody is certainly more developed that almost anything on TH.

I guess my crits of the album fall under: 1) several tracks too short, aren't given time to develop; 2) sounds too clean and digital; 3) not many good melodies; 4) some BoC by numbers (Cold Earth); 5) too many arpeggios (seems like every other track, almost); 6) not much element of surprise (I think the only track that really surprised all of us was Palace Posy, right?); 7) despite the theme, lacking that unique BoC sense of "damaged music" or "melodies from damaged minds." 8) trying too hard to be epic.

I do really like the stretch of Sick Times-Collapse-Palace Posy. And, if I'm feeling generous, could extend that run through Split-Your-Infinities-Uritual-Nothing Is Real. I don't think those are at quite the same level - Split Your Infinities sounds a bit too much like Shpongle, and Nothing is Real doesn't quite hit the spot somehow, despite the lovely Trails-like repeating melody (maybe drums are too strong, or maybe it's just too long, would work better as an interstitial track...vox are certainly interesting though).

I realize I'm being picky but that's the high standard they've set themselves to. On an emotional level, nothing on the album makes me want to exclaim "that's like a window onto my childhood!" or "that's really disturbing!", or "that makes me want to cry" or even "that's a siiiick jam!" It's all a bit safe and samey.

Those are some really good criticisms, and I actually agree with you on a lot of them.

Still though, the amount of work and polish put into the album really shines through to me. The melodies aren't typical BoC, but they're not trying to be, and it has far too many great moments.

I think this is BoC, in a lot of ways, at their most realized and solid state. What's going on here is very clear and it's obvious that BoC knew what they were doing with it, and it's so well done, imo.

Not trying to "convert" you into liking it or anything, just putting in my 2 cents.

It's a new album, BoC are showing off yet another facet of their sound. And I fucking love it.

This shit (multiple whiny thread(s)) is bonkers. It's just an album of musics FFS...nothing more, nothing less.

Two guys in Scotland bone-ing off on old knackered kit, etc,...it was never going to Change The World. (I like some Coldplay also, they can chang the whurld!)

Get a fucking grip. I think it is an amazing listen, just from bits of sound which convey an idea and/or gives you some headspace to enjoy them BoC sounds...loving the 'old' beats in there by the way. If I want mental time-signatures, I'll listen to Snares.

You cunts really need to stop wetting the metaphorical bed and get your nappy on.

:emotawesomepm9: < I <3 U

It's cool that you, and many others, think that it's an amazing listen (or in some extreme cases you all think that you think it's an amazing listen, but that's a slightly different subject).

I however, do not like it, and as has already been pointed out here by a few sane heads, I have a right to voice my dislike of the album.

I think all thia victimizing of those who ain't feeling it is super twoism. But there's more to it with Oscilik.

It's not just his bizarrely strict principles about trivial things, and definitely not just because he didn't enjoy his first listen on a format that I'm surprised he would even use.

It's that you will never hear him say something like "boy it's a shame they didn't ". Or "the way the melody comes in..."

It's always something like "Completely disgusting" or "triumphantly pathetic." Or some other way of showing his seeming utter contempt and disdain after one listen.

I didn't go into detail because I went to bed.

If you would like, I would go into detail about why I found the album disappointing when I finish work tonight. But I see it as completely pointless, because WATMM.

Also, it's cool that you read inbetween the lines and figured out that I have 'utter contempt and disdain' for the album after one listen. That is completely false, and would be apparent if you read what I had said and hadn't inferred your own opinion about me into it. But hey, internet.

Guest englishbob

Glad bleep has put the mp3s up a bit early. I was going to hold out for a vinyl first listen, just to make a big goddamn production out of it. I'll probably cave within the next 12 hours, though.

The vinyl is miles better than the MP3's. Do yourself a deal, only listen to the MP3's on headphones, and wait for the vinyl to play out of your speakers. Thats what I did.

I caved in and listened to the CD that arrived.

Thoroughly disappointed.

lol - what were you expecting?

better.

It's not the music - it's your expectation that let you down.

you couldn't say anything more sycophantic.

you couldn't say anything more cynical.

he doesn't like it, this happens fanboys, get over it.

lol @ oscillik better listen to some VHS head then lol

Is he like 52 or summit...well jaded and shit? I don't get it/him/her.

he's an miserable old bastard trapped in a miserable young bastard's body.

Also stop getting on oscillik's case. If this comment was in isolation it would be whatever, but it's like you're following him around week after week, month after month, it's a bit much. Play nice please, attack ideas but not the man.

Anybody else get the feeling that this album was done in a rush one week before the announcement?

lol...I think that's wishful thinking, in the sense that it would mean they are so prolific, so "bursting with inspiration", that they could slap something together so fast.

I do suspect they only spent a few years of solid work time on it, out of the 7 yr hiatus. That's one thing I don't blame them for at all, once you become a dad all bets are off. I was writing a novel before I became a dad, now it's but a distant memory. So I don't blame them for focusing more on family, in fact I wouldn't blame them if they never released new music.

But I guess I do blame them for not releasing a boxed set, lol.

Just woke up. Downloads available. Downloading.

I'm going to listen the shit out of this album today, wait no. This week.

Wait no. My whole life. Wait no. After life.

I'm on a point in my "musical-life" where an album like TH couldn't fit better.

I'm really into Horror Movies and Soundtracks since a year, again. I was heavily into horror in my teens like most of us,

but this time it's different, i see the aesthetics and art in the movies and music, not just the gore and fx.

So as I own the whole Death Waltz Recordings Catalogue and almost all John Carpenter Soundtracks,

this new BOC is a very welcome listen and it's getting better and better the more I listen to it.

Thanks!

Edited by CJM

Lump, lots of good points. There's one thing though about the quote above which I'd really like to give a kick in its nutsack, I'm afraid. The idea that they've set such high standards for themselves (yes, they, not you... I'm wondering whether the last is closer to the truth though), that it's OK to be picky. You simply don't need any validation to be picky, imo.

Also, you've said something along the lines of the importance of their intentions and motivations behind their music as an aspect of your appreciation of their music. Which is perfectly fine and understandable. But the immediate consequence (risk) of that is that interpretation becomes key to appreciation.

The strange thing about interpretation is that it presents itself as rational and sometimes even objective. Of course, interpretation is relative and largely in the eye of the beholder. So next week, when another interview might be released which gives a totally different frame of mind about their new album, that might act as some catalyst for you to better appreciate TH. That's not impossible, right?

Edited by goDel

My brother gave this a listen through. He came at it as someone who's never listened to any Boards other than the occasional track he's heard me play.

He enjoyed it overall, some parts more than others. Interestingly, he commented on how some of it sounded like a film score, and he hasn't read that interview where boc mention how they've been listening to and drawing inspiration from them.

Lump, lots of good points. There's one thing though about the quote above which I'd really like to give a kick in its nutsack, I'm afraid. The idea that they've set such high standards for themselves (yes, they, not you... I'm wondering whether the last is closer to the truth though), that it's OK to be picky. You simply don't need any validation to be picky, imo.

Also, you've said something along the lines of the importance of their intentions and motivations behind their music as an aspect of your appreciation of their music. Which is perfectly fine and understandable. But the immediate consequence (risk) of that is that interpretation becomes key to appreciation.

The strange thing about interpretation is that it presents itself as rational and sometimes even objective. Of course, interpretation is relative and largely in the eye of the beholder. So next week, when another interview might be released which gives a totally different frame of mind about their new album, that might act as some catalyst for you to better appreciate TH. That's not impossible, right?

sure of course, though I don't think an interview will change my mind - ultimately it's all about the music. I like acroyear's posts, because he started off by saying something that sounded very true - that all the hype may have soured his initial appreciation. It's possible in my case too, I took every opportunity to listen to leaks, including having the Dolores Waterpark rip on heavy rotation for days.

That said, if the album were a stunner, I think I would have easily transitioned to the full-quality release (as I did with Exai, I had ten or so 20-second clips on heavy rotation for that one, talk about the potential for aural fatigue!). We got Cold Earth and Reach for the Dead beforehand right - and both tracks, even with the lovely video accompanying the latter - only raised my BoCrection to half-mast. They sounded good, possibly promising...but not gut-punchingly awesome. And by saying that, I don't mean I wanted something more epic, quite the contrary - all I want is something that feels somehow "authentic", "true", and of course musically interesting.

I don't think I've been bringing too much baggage to the listening experience, but I may have been bringing in those fragmentary perceptions you get when you've heard things piecemeal in different formats. Am trying to just let the memory of the music video and teaser crap fade, and listen to it several times start to finish.

having the Dolores Waterpark rip kinda spoiled the beginning of the album for me at 1st,so i started to listen to TH on shuffle to get to know tracks in isolation,now i can listen from start to finish and really enjoy it

Funny thing is i can perfectly relate to that. But at the same time, i had those initial impressions also at mhtrtc. All the short interludes which should have been way longer. Kaini industries, anyone? Or the music itself coming off a bit too minimal. At the time I was expecting some alternative for the black dog and was looking for some funky polyrhythms.... No way, just some straightforward hip hop beats...aaargh. But it grew on me and that unmistakable boc-sound became a landmark in its own right. And I'm pretty certain the same will happen to TH, even though I do share some of your objections. It fits in the boc landscape. It is a worthy part of that landscape. the landscape without TH would even be missing out as I think this is their most trippy album to date. My biggest objection would be that there need to be more albums filling that landscape.

no flacs from bleep?

Was under the impression that there were lossless downloads too, but looking back at the Tip Off email only MP3s are mentioned :(

(Preface - apologies if a bit tl;dr)

I'd agree that those who have come into this with insanely big expectations will inevitably come away with a feeling of disappointment. An 8 year hiatus is bound to have created an album in the minds of many fans that will never have been achieved.

I think what cushioned me from any kind of preconceptions about this album is that over the years, if I'm honest, I'd kind of fallen out of love with BoC. It's not that I came to dislike them or their music, its just that I've been listening to so many other artists in the downtime between BoC albums that I only really listened to their albums occasionaly, or whenever tracks popped up on my mp3 player. What I mean is that whilst they've been away, I haven't been fetishing their music to a point that it turned them into some untouchable musical deities (and I'm not for a second insinuating that this is what those who dislike the album have done). BoC are one my favourite acts and they have been massively influential on a generation of artists and music lovers alike, but they were, for me at least, also a gateway act that opened up to the world of music that I currently listen to (pre MHTRTC I mostly listened to rap).

With TH coming out, and with me now enjoying a huge number of other artists (and I guess I should point out that I didn't only ever listen to BoC only at any point), I feel like I'm revisting an old friend who I loved and got on immeasurably well with, but who I drifted apart from. TH reminds me of all of the things that I fell in love with BoC for in the first place. Perhaps to some, that in of itself could be seen as some kind if damning indictment, that BoC have regressed to the safety of their established sound, and that there's no progression (especially after so long a break). However, I fear in those regards that BoC would be damned if they do, damned if they don't, and that whatever they did, it would be unsatisfactory to a part of their audience.

Some of the criticisms that I've read so far have been valid, some not so much. If there are those who feel genuinely let-down or lukewarm about this album that is of course their prerogative, and it's just as valid an opinion as those coming from the people who really love it (I especially feel it for you, oscillik. You've been quite level-headed in your anticipation and your commitment to remaining spoiler-free has been laudable, so to read that you feel underwhelmed, whilst getting the impression that you've been genuinely excited, is a shame. I hope the album opens up for you a bit). I feel nothing but genuine warmth at BoC's return as I tempered my expectations, and I'm quite delighted by the results.

Edited by Higgins VanHiggins

Obviously it's the same for all music, but people's expectations tend to be intertwined with how much they enjoy an album and surely a long wait like for this album just further exagerrates that. For me, I avoid listening to things in bits before release as I want to experience albums in one single chunk and that way hopefully I'll minimise those expectations and take it for what it is as much as I can. Then after a number of listens I'll start picking out favourites but I don't like that familiarity of having heard a song beforehand might skew that (albeit sub-consciously). So, I'm nearing the end of my 2nd listen with the first being the YouTube live transmission.

I definitely do need to get more listens under the belt (and no matter how much I love a band or a release I hate listening more than once or twice a day) but I suspect I'll be in the underwhelmed camp for a while. Aye, it is nice and I am enjoying it but for the amount of time they've been away I can't shake the feeling that there might have been more of an evolution. It feels like there are too many BoCisms.... maybe if this album had come a couples of years after CFHP then it would probably have felt like a nice progression. But for 8.... so much for trying to come in with few expectations.

Funny thing is i can perfectly relate to that. But at the same time, i had those initial impressions also at mhtrtc. All the short interludes which should have been way longer. Kaini industries, anyone? Or the music itself coming off a bit too minimal. At the time I was expecting some alternative for the black dog and was looking for some funky polyrhythms.... No way, just some straightforward hip hop beats...aaargh. But it grew on me and that unmistakable boc-sound became a landmark in its own right. And I'm pretty certain the same will happen to TH, even though I do share some of your objections. It fits in the boc landscape. It is a worthy part of that landscape. the landscape without TH would even be missing out as I think this is their most trippy album to date. My biggest objection would be that there need to be more albums filling that landscape.

I had a similar experience with MHTRTC, didn't like it that much at first, except for the "instant" tracks like Aquarius (and Turquoise Hex Sun, which was instantly impressive due to the eerie factor). Took me a little while to appreciate tracks like Telephasic and Pete Standing Alone.

That said, although BoC have often infuriated with the "teaser" nature of their short tracks (this is part of their infuriating appeal), their longer tracks have always felt long and satisfying enough. Not so in this case.

One thing I do like about this release: they brought the vocals back! I loved TCH without the vocals, but I think they are so good at manipulating vocals that there's no reason to leave that weapon out of their repertoire. TH would be much closer to utter crap without the vocals (imagine Cold Earth and Palace Posy without the vox)

Guest feralkittens

Yeah I think this is their best use of vocals on an album. I actually didn't notice they were missing from TCH (for the most part) until someone pointed it out to me. But I welcome them back with open arms. I keep trying to think of my favorite example, but they all sound so good to me. Split Your Infinities is pretty cool though and I especially appreciate that one kid sounding voice on Cold Earth, it always makes me smile.

Guest englishbob

Wow, £8.99 for the FLAC which is the same as a physical CD, and £2 more for the 24bit WAV.

Proof that digital distribution is more expensive than producing physical copies! :dry: