IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

I find that this album doesn't comfort me in the ways that MHTRTC and Geogaddi did. It doesn't lift my mood as well... if I come at the record already in a good frame of mind, it's a great listen. If I want something to sort of lift me up, it doesn't really work. This is just me perhaps, but MHTRTC always got me feeling finer than a motherfucker.

i never liked that loop much. Now the old OLD "flute down by the ocean" loop (not sure what it was called, that's just what it sounded like to me) they used to have on their old website was badass. I'm guessing it's on youtube somewhere.

troo fan.

This one -

boc___flutes.mp3

Or this one -

boc___website_intro.mp3

yep! I was referring to the first one, but I remember both of those.

They used to be so good at making those melodies, it seemed almost effortless for them...

now it takes 7 years just to get some arpeggios lol (sorry, not fair I know but...)

that was a sample actually (the flute melody) from lord of the flies soundtrack

http://bocpages.org/wiki/Flutes

oh snap! all my childhood dreams, dashed... :emotawesomepm9:

I'm really starting to wonder how much of BoC's music is original, and what percentage just really cleverly sampled...

(well, they never released that officially, so...)

Guest fsdapfad

I'm really starting to wonder how much of BoC's music is original, and what percentage just really cleverly sampled...

Whether a melody is a sample or not is, for me, not an issue. Every melody has probably been written a million times by different artists just noodling around on piano; no melody on it's own is really original, but the sound of a total composition can be and the sound of BOC is (or was...).

Probably a hell of a lot of their stuff is nabbed. I wonder if they actually pay royalties or just pop stuff in and hope noone will notice. I'm sure that's what more obscure electronic musicians do, but they're possibly big enough that they can't get away with that anymore.

I find that this album doesn't comfort me in the ways that MHTRTC and Geogaddi did. It doesn't lift my mood as well... if I come at the record already in a good frame of mind, it's a great listen. If I want something to sort of lift me up, it doesn't really work. This is just me perhaps, but MHTRTC always got me feeling finer than a motherfucker.

totally agreed.

totally agreed.

Yes. There is no "Olson", no "Over the Horizon Radar" and no "Tears From the Compound Eye" in Tomorrow's Harvest. I really like the album, but I agree on that it's missing this comforting sound.

Edited by MIXL2

I've been the same way since starting the Future Sound of London forum - It's reached a point now where I wonder which parts haven't been taken from somewhere else !

totally agreed.

Yes. There is no "Olson", no "Over the Horizon Radar" and no "Tears From the Compound Eye" in Tomorrow's Harvest. I really like the album, but I agree on that it's missing this comforting sound.

but there,s sundown or nothing is real which are really melodic and warm to me

I've been the same way since starting the Future Sound of London forum - It's reached a point now where I wonder which parts haven't been taken from somewhere else !

I thought Boards were generally more into playing lots of acoustic instruments and making their own samples (even when things 'sounded' really sampled?) At least that's what I remember from interviews. It does make a difference to me.... I liked imagining that their friends acted out those documentary-like 'samples', or that, say, the fanfare/ident at the beginning of TH was crafted to sound so convincing from scratch. It'd be a bit boring if they just nabbed it from an old VHS.

(....And it'd all be a bit less magical if those short acoustic-ey interludes from past albums were simply samples from other music. It seems to matter more here than in, say, FSOL's music, for some reason. :) )

Aye, and FSOL have always said in interviews back in the day 'we're the best pick pockets in town' (might have got the wording slightly wrong) so it's not as if they've ever tried to cover it up.

But yeah check out stuff like this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGxJqXEb9w

I mean, don't get me wrong - still love the buggers !

How some of you guys can say this is not 'warm' enough I don't know. In my opinion it is just the right temperature.

New Seeds - the end is hotter than the sun

Reach for the Dead - ditto

Sick Times - synth is warm enough for me

Nothing Is Real - Track doesn't do much for me but it's warm

I wasn't exactly wowed upon first listen of the album, but after 20 or so listens, I really think it's a fantastic piece of work.

I totally get there are and will be a wide range of opinions about Tomorrow's Harvest. But I don't get all the people who are dissatisfied because it's not like this album or that album. Or it's missing this particular sound or that particular feeling from previous work. If that's the way you listen to albums then of course you're likely to be disappointed.

This applies to life as well as it applies to new music: be in the moment! Be ready for whatever's coming next. It doesn't mean you're required to like everything. But put yourself in a position where it's possible to like anything. If you spend all your time comparing to the past, you will not hear the present.

Edited by LOL Alzado

I totally get there are and will be a wide range of opinions about Tomorrow Harvest. But I don't get all the people who are dissatisfied because it's not like this album or that album. Or it's missing this particular sound or that particular feeling from previous work. If that's the way you listen to albums then of course you're likely to be disappointed.

This applies to life as well as it applies to new music: be in the moment! Be ready for whatever's coming next. It doesn't mean you're required to like everything. But put yourself in a position where it's possible to like anything. If you spend all your time comparing to the past, you will not hear the present.

Yeah.. and if they have did an album that had sounded exactly like their previous work, people would have complained about that too.

I totally get there are and will be a wide range of opinions about Tomorrow Harvest. But I don't get all the people who are dissatisfied because it's not like this album or that album. Or it's missing this particular sound or that particular feeling from previous work. If that's the way you listen to albums then of course you're likely to be disappointed.

This is a lovely post. :) I do think there's a difference, however, between expecting/ demanding a new album *sound* like previous albums - to expecting it to have the same kind of invention/creativity/exciting 'attitude' as past works. So if a band totally switches things up sound wise but retain an old sense of adventure, that's great; but if they change sound and it sounds mediocre sell-out-like, that's a while other thing. And lots of electronic and psychedelic folks from the 70s have done that. They protest that they're progressing and listeners don't 'get it', but they've so simplified and watered down as changed direction that it's not so fun to listen to anymore.

(Sorry for badly written response ; was done on my phone and I couldn't edit it!)

I like TH, but miss some of the detail and structural progressions of previous work. I absolutely welcome and would hope for a new sound, but would have loved for a greater depth of sound/density to have been kept intact along with the new sound/feel. Perhaps that combination wouldn't have suited the theme, however. :)

Edited by Lianne

this is such a short hour, the album flies by everytime i listen to it

it is only 3 minutes shorter than geogaddi but it seems like it is half as long

Edited by jules