IGNORED

New Autechre EP - L Event

kiya

i guess i'm just not one of these people that is 'tired' of being technically blown away by IDM-ish music made by the heroes I looked up to for so long, not just autechre but Aphex and Squarepusher as well. I understand that we aren't in an era where the goal is 'who can produce the most intricate high BPM drill pattern', but i still miss what I'm referring to

Exai IS really intricate though in my opinion. It seemed like a return to rhythmic detail after the jamminess of Quaristice and the melody focused approach of Oversteps. Could it be more of an aesthetic thing that you're describing? The thick heaving molasses of Exai is a different kind of detail, less of the sharp/precise micro edits but instead with insane layerings of morphing complexities.

I mean it could be argued I suppose that its an aesthetic preference, but I think it's pretty clear that they've abandoned or at least loosened their approach to this type of micro-detail composition. In exai the morphing complexities you speak of feel much less deliberate, automated with LFOS and more random than anything on Draft, Confield or Gantz Graf.

and in response to Pixelives, its interesting to call that sound 'dated' because i think you at least in part have an understanding of what I mean, that that amount of detail and audible work/effort put into an Autechre record is a thing of the past, they have't used that approach since Untilted, and that album was widely considered a 'skeletal' more minimal version of the detailed work they did in the previous 2 albums. And while I would agree that if they simply did another Draft it would sound dated, if they took the same amount of detail on that album and applied it to the Exai ethos, in terms of audible perceptible detail I think the album would sound a lot different. For me they're still working in the sort of jammy/improv zone and using that mindset as a basis for the tracks. I'm not saying anything is inherently wrong with that, I still like Exai.

I'm just suggesting that to only put 4 tracks on an album gives me the hope they will be strong and maybe even technically impressive tracks, not hoping for a gantz graf perse just hoping for the same quality and level of detail/work

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest pixelives

i guess i'm just not one of these people that is 'tired' of being technically blown away by IDM-ish music made by the heroes I looked up to for so long, not just autechre but Aphex and Squarepusher as well. I understand that we aren't in an era where the goal is 'who can produce the most intricate high BPM drill pattern', but i still miss what I'm referring to

Exai IS really intricate though in my opinion. It seemed like a return to rhythmic detail after the jamminess of Quaristice and the melody focused approach of Oversteps. Could it be more of an aesthetic thing that you're describing? The thick heaving molasses of Exai is a different kind of detail, less of the sharp/precise micro edits but instead with insane layerings of morphing complexities.

I mean it could be argued I suppose that its an aesthetic preference, but I think it's pretty clear that they've abandoned or at least loosened their approach to this type of micro-detail composition. In exai the morphing complexities you speak of feel much less deliberate, automated with LFOS and more random than anything on Draft, Confield or Gantz Graf.

and in response to Pixelives, its interesting to call that sound 'dated' because i think you at least in part have an understanding of what I mean, that that amount of detail and audible work/effort put into an Autechre record is a thing of the past, they have't used that approach since Untilted, and that album was widely considered a 'skeletal' more minimal version of the detailed work they did in the previous 2 albums. And while I would agree that if they simply did another Draft it would sound dated, if they took the same amount of detail on that album and applied it to the Exai ethos, in terms of audible perceptible detail I think the album would sound a lot different. For me they're still working in the sort of jammy/improv zone and using that mindset as a basis for the tracks. I'm not saying anything is inherently wrong with that, I still like Exai.

I'm just suggesting that to only put 4 tracks on an album gives me the hope they will be strong and maybe even technically impressive tracks, not hoping for a gantz graf perse just hoping for the same quality and level of detail/work

It would be interesting to hear Exai as a "dry" version, without all the ample reverb sends (which I love btw). One of the reasons the early 2000's records show all that impressive detail is the lack of reverb smear. But yes it is different, as well. The new approach is LFO automation of parameters, slowly changing, not the zoomed in micro approach. One of the reasons I like the new approach is that it reminds me of the room recordings of live sets in a way. Again this hardware thing, which they are still into it seems. Something I also like and gravitate towards in general.

Spent an hour to find the source for the leak, it's out there since 19th of September

http://rbt.asia/mu/thread/S40118160

The fuck WATMM, how you missed it?

is this track legit? *downloads in mysterious anticipation*

if one track leaked that means the whole EP did already

not ae

I think it's ae.

If it's not someone did a brilliant job. At least it's very hard to tell. It easily sounds like an alt-exai track.

Edited by Joseph

Guest Rulohead32

not ae

I think it's ae.

If it's not someone did a brilliant job. At least it's very hard to tell. It easily sounds like an alt-exai track.

It's from the Swiss deluxe edition. Its original name is "Zurich 2011"

well, it could be ae track but inferior in all aspects comparing to any track from exai... it's still very good so i can't be 100% sure only i hope it's not ae

not ae

I think it's ae.

if it's not legit someone did a pretty good job of imitating the Exai sound. I like the track after the halfway point.
Its hard to tell but the bass sounds distorted but in sort of intentional dirt but polished style they've been doing a lot lately.

at 5:00 - it's pretty fucking cool, wish there was more of that. can really hear the weird faux distortion in that part

the beginning sounds like a really fucked up Eclipse Eventide patch

edit: most convincing part of this for me is that odd distortion on the bass sound. I've never really hard any other producers making this kind of effect besides Autechre. They did it on Illanders a little bit. Not even sure what the effect is. The best I can describe it is some kind of ring modulation running at a frequency that makes our brain feel like it's being overdriven or distorted but its not exactly. Anybody else know what im talking about?

it almost sounds like it's being modulated with something that's almost a square wave but not quite, like a very rounded off but still squarey wave

someone said it's too messy and i agree. it's very disparate.

sounds like someone looking to make an ae inspired track with elektron stuff.

the ending is nice imo.

anybody take a guess on what kind of effect that 'distortion' on the bassline is ? Especially clear sounding 5 minutes onward

the main thing that makes me think this is a fake is

A) sounds like elements we've heard before on other AE tracks no 'surprises'

B) if it's watermarked won't this dude already be caught for just the one track? If he's willing to take that risk why not leak the entire thing?