AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Kcinsu, mcbpete and a few others I think you were interested in their response to the physical modeling question. apparently they answered it but i never saw it and the answer is brilliant (but still oblique)

lot of loaded questions here tbh but i'll say this
we've been blagging sounds for years, way way before we heard anyone using the term physical modelling
even just using a 202 you can make really mad 'bonk' sounds by tuning the resonance and using the res env a certain way (think of voodoo ray by gerald)

not implying we were the first at all obviously, wendy carlos and tomita were running rings round anything we did before we even knew what music was
but like, there are literally tons of ways you can make fake things out of other things. this idea that physmod is only a few techniques is a bit of a new thing really. but i guess describing those things an non-linear processes is a bit much for some people

you can make a wide array of vowel sounds using a combination of pwm and fm, but it's only considered formant synthesis is you're using a collection of bpf's

the actual list of techniques that you're supposed to learn is weirdly limited and doesn't really cover what's possible. in a lot of ways things were more interesting before it all got formalised
that's why wendy carlos and tomita are so good, cos they didn't have that list of techniques getting in the way, they found most of it thru trial and error

i like that response a lot

2gsg3dv.jpg

again

can you explain this one jules?

looks like it says "the end"..?

pretty sure it says thank you in exai typography

Edited by baph

i dont like the color, it looks like when you highlight text/pictures, my brain is telling me to click away from it to unhighlight it.

don't you freeze in headlights?

what are you referring to?

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By cear
      http://solidsteel.net/broadcasts/914
    • By kaini
      http://rapidshare.com/files/129145929/Solen_-_Wutechre.zip

it's a mix made of wu-tang and (mostly late-period) ae. really good so far
    • By subsub
      Just seen news of this release from VOD....🤤

RELEASE-PROGRAM VOD-RECORDS 2021 / 2022
      (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)
      LATE MARCH 2021
      VOD166: Hafler Trio / Autechre 7Lp-Box
      Lp01. æ³o / h³æ
      Lp02. æo³
      Lp03 ³hæ
      Lp04/5 5ah³eo
      Lp06/7 ha³oe
    • By splesh
      I brought up this thought in the dedicAtEd thread for Untilted but I think it is an interesting enough idea generally speaking. Here's the alternate order I came up with for their 2005 offering, Fermium is not removed because I dislike the song but because it feels like the odd one out. This is just my first attempt at this and I don't think I have a better sequence than S and R (fucking love this album the way it is as it is), but it is fun to try rejigger things a bit and see if there are some nice ways of changing the sequencing, just for fun

1. LCC
      2. The Trees
      3. Augmatic Disport
      4. Ipacial Section
      5. Iera
      6. Pro Radii
      7. Sublimit

Here's what auxien said about this new order/removing Fermium:

"hm, not sure about Fermium on its own, feels naked like that. but it is a little bit of an odd one out on the album perhaps, so i see the case there. 
      random thoughts listening to this tracklisting:
      LCC as opener and Sublimit as closer is necessary, good work on not trying to fuck with that not sure about The Trees as track 2, feels a little too close in shape to LCC Ipacial into Iera is fucking great Iera into Pro Radii works pretty well Pro Radii into Sublimit works pretty well too  overall not as offensive as i'd expected trying to tweak what's pretty close to a perfect album. may see about doing an alternate tracklist of my own"

• By vamos scorcho
      so apparently this is coming out this week.

according to Twitter reports from a live show, Shields said this is out in "2 or 3 days maybe" and proceeded to play 2 new songs.

words cannot do justice!