IGNORED

Burial - Rival Dealer

bubbhasdance

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ZombieLincoln666

The drum fill in Hiders @ 2:42 sounds like its from Rick Astley.

Rick pulled it off better though, which is sad

I actually agree that it hasn't aged super well. I still think it's beautiful music and an amazing example of something coming from a place of pure mood and honest artistic intent, unhindered by academic discussions of skill and style and all that ultimately-irrelevant bullshit. but now, in the 2010s, it seems like the production is pretty standard after having been picked up on by so many others.

So it being highly influential means it hasn't aged well? That is nonsense.

no, it sounding like a lot of other stuff in the present day means it's lost some of its magic and original punch. because there's other stuff out there like it now, and, dare I say, some of it may actually improve on the formula.

I think the impact of it has worn off a bit. I'd readily argue it's the definitive album of the 00s. He carved out a unique sound that was incredibly personal yet resonated with so many listeners. Others have accomplished that but usually the results were more ambient or experimental in tone. So much of the decade was retro-oriented too, but Untrue actually has a time-stamp on it.

other than trying to frame Rival Dealer as a statement about Burial's sexuality (ugh, what the fuck).

that was cheap - kind of had that immature "i'm not saying that he's sexually confused...but" set-up

maybe he's just a fan of lana and the wachowskis' films? the speech sample also had bits about "opening new worlds and new doors" and there's plenty of other sample and reference connections that we could all make based on that bit - i dunno

(kind of burnt out for today discussion wise)

That vocal sample might be my favorite moment of the ep, actually.

Same here.

Just because people don't like this EP, doesn't mean everybody just suddenly hates Burial. That is not the case for me at least.

He's still of my absolute favorite artists. Untrue, Street Halo, Kindred and Traunt are some of the best music I've heard in my life. That is never going to change.

It pains me to say I don't like this, because I really want to like it. But every artist makes music that divides the opinions from time to time, and sometimes it simply doesn't resonate with certain fans, that is just how it goes.

I respect that he tried to go for something new, but personally I just think.. if it isn't broke, don't fix it. And he seemed to have found the perfect formula with the previous three eps.

I'm at this point to. Too early for me to make a definitive conclusion but I'm not 100% on this one. I appreciate his effort greatly though. I didn't want him to re-hash for easy fan points nor troll us. Some might say he is doing the latter, but I would disagree.

I don't understand why he so quickly moves on from that nice pad bit @ 4:15 in Come Down To Us. The sitar (?) doesn't fit over there either.

I like these tracks more than his recent darker stuff, but I still think his first two albums are his best work.

That sitar bit fascinates me because it straddles between mysteriously romantic and cheap exoticism

it reminds both of this (0:22)

and this:

Maybe he finally read somewhere that dubstep was dead, discovered vaporware, the new hot shit, and this is his hybrid take on it?

i actually got that kind of vaporwave vibe too and wondered whether that was at play here. i've been listening to a lot of vape recently, so maybe that explains why i've been enjoying this so much.

Somehow the second half of "Come Down To Us" reminds me of "The Neverending Story"

and I have Images of me as a Kid riding on Fuchur/Falkor in the Sky. Don't know right now if this is good or bad... :shrug:

Y'all on to something methinks. There's childhood nostalgia being tapped into and it's not been clean-up or infused smoothly whatsoever. That's probably why there's a vaporwave vibe to it.

Somehow the second half of "Come Down To Us" reminds me of "The Neverending Story"

and I have Images of me as a Kid riding on Fuchur/Falkor in the Sky. Don't know right now if this is good or bad... :shrug:

Y'all on to something methinks. There's childhood nostalgia being tapped into and it's not been clean-up or infused smoothly whatsoever. That's probably why there's a vaporwave vibe to it.

but there's some vicarious embarrassment underneath it all....

I keep changing my opinion on this, and I know it might be a bit tiring to read about. Hopefully this will be my final thoughts on it, so you don't have to read my silly nonsense all the time.

But I'm really starting to appreciate the cheese. I gave it another shot today, and this time I actually really enjoyed both Hiders and Come Down To Us. Rival Dealer was good the first time I heard it, but it is getting even better. That track is giving me those same vibes as the first time I heard Astray Wasp and Rough Sleeper.

It's one of the most challenging and weird records I've ever heard, because it fucks so much with expectations. Maybe I've just realized that, that is part of its charm, and that is why I'm starting to like it more. I don't know tbh, but it has really kind of screwed with my head ever since I heard it for the first time, and that is actually a big to quality it. I can't stop thinking about this weird ass record.

And fuck it's cheesy (starting to get a bit sick of this word), does it even matter if it's hella cheesy if you get enjoyment out of it?

My new opinion on it is that it's great record, might change again, who the hell knows…. But right now I like it.

/Hopefully last post

extra_cheesy_pizza_slice_photosculpture_

Burial is overrated. Drexciya will be underrated until the New York Times does an article on him./them

Burial is good but come on, Amon Tobin level. Nobody goes around saying Amon Tobin is the best thing that ever happened to music. It's just really good electronic stuff. Like burial.

I will say that burial may be slightly better than that, deffffinately have been getting vaporwave vibes since truant rough sleeper.

To be honest I always thought untrue was like deer hunter cryptograms level at best. Or like maybe just below the field. But we're talking pitchfork here.

I love it but come on.

Truant and this are probably my favorite things he's done. I would like o see him do a whole album pushing this abstraction. I'm more into Lps as I find it hard to really immerse myself in these eps when I know they will be over as soon as I start to really get hypnotic. And I'm not reall into playlists.

Guest Archrival

Will Bevan I pray for you. This is a really sad EP and Im seriously worried about Will, sounds like he's going thru a inner struggle/battle and losing it...in a very bad way.

I can't say that I like the EP as its making me cringe in a bad way seeing someone fall, kind of like William Basinski playing the saxophone...

Will there's still HOPE!

That's why I can't stop revisiting the thought. Imagine all the influences people deny when they apply it to their own music versus ones they seek out when creating music.

It's so easily to question the motivations of say, some slick 80s synthpop being made by someone who was born after 1990. I find the literally lack of shelf-live for so much music to be a bit maddening: there was hyped house and techno music 5 to 10 years ago that has been literally been swept under a rug. Hip magazines went from ignoring breakcore and it's tropes of old rave samples to now suddenly embracing early 90s cheese in dance music.

And on a more nuanced personal level, I've literally seen some of the same people who bullied others for liking geeky or dated fashion as kids or music suddenly embrace those things now that it's trendy again. Fratboys in neon sunglasses, preppy girls sharing buzzfeed articles about 90s nick tv shows and nintendo games. The same shit they hated on without hesitation years before. On the other side there's things like Hot Topic and waves of trends like emo fashion. Then there's things like the seapunk phenomenon and that niche community's "uproar" when they were given attention and artists like Rihanna used the same aesthetics. Ire over someone famous joining their appreciation over the same appropriated content...lol

It's a bit hilarious really. I suppose faux personas and ironically crowd-oriented "individuality" built around trends isn't new, but it's certainly more vicious than ever.

I digress...

Basically I feel like Rival Dealer's sound is statement against very self-aware and calculated aesthetic use and sampling that's so prevalent right now in electronic music. (maybe)

Burial is good but come on, Amon Tobin level. Nobody goes around saying Amon Tobin is the best thing that ever happened to music. It's just really good electronic stuff. Like burial.

Amon Tobin is part of a handful of producers that have been extremely influential on many acclaimed producers of the present but themselves seem to be doomed by trying to hard to be poppy or stay "relevant." Others in my view include Kid606, Squarepusher, Jackson & His Computer Band (I mentioned this in the thread for Glow) and Mr. Oizo. They've all put out very well-produced poppier music in the last few years that was all generally dismissed - some was met with lukewarm reception and other stuff was panned. It's like they're too talented and too established to be hyped...on the other hand guys like Gesaffelstein or the rosters of Tri Angle, Night Slugs, and UNO are getting a lot of positive attention. Or RAM for that matter. They're good but it's often not that novel, and much of what they're influenced by is rarely acknowledged.

Will Bevan I pray for you. This is a really sad EP and Im seriously worried about Will, sounds like he's going thru a inner struggle/battle and losing it...in a very bad way.

I can't say that I like the EP as its making me cringe in a bad way seeing someone fall, kind of like William Basinski playing the saxophone...

Will there's still HOPE!

william basinski playing the saxophone was awesome and what most people fail to realize was that was from 1991.

"individuality"

I like how you put that in quotations marks. It's funny how the "Individuals" are the result of Media induced "Gleichschaltung".

Burial is overrated. Drexciya will be underrated until the New York Times does an article on him./them

I will say that burial may be slightly better than that, deffffinately have been getting vaporwave vibes since truant rough sleeper.

lol comparing burial to amon tobin. spending a year just to learn new techniques so u can make a perfectly executed album in the next 3 years vs throwing random rimshots in soundforge there and there and adding sampled stuff with reverb. gg. still better then drexciya tho (8 mins of 808 drum loop + 2 note synth lines all thrown together mixed worse than squarepusher)

Well mediocre EP. Nothing really that would make me want to go back to listen to it. Never really saw the Burial appeal anyway, apart from a couple of great tracks it's all pretty middle of the road. 4/10

there is no climax is there? just some slowed down pop vocals here and there

lol comparing burial to amon tobin. spending a year just to learn new techniques so u can make a perfectly executed album in the next 3 years vs throwing random rimshots in soundforge there and there and adding sampled stuff with reverb. gg. still better then drexciya tho (8 mins of 808 drum loop + 2 note synth lines all thrown together mixed worse than squarepusher)

Tru Feels > Complex studio techniques

Controlling the exact length of spectral fart sounds with a $90,000 Haken Continuum is DEFINITELY more important than any human feelings

Cmon is this even watmm anymore

That said, I find this EP's ideas intriguing and I would like to subscribe to its newsletter.

EDIT: added more $s

That "Always protect you" sample really hits me in Hiders.

I feel like the title, 'Hiders', is describing a subhuman species that will branch from us in the future; they reside in a warren of tunnels beneath the super-cities. The sound heard at 3:31 is clearly the sound they make to communicate with one another!

I feel like the title, 'Hiders', is describing a subhuman species that will branch from us in the future; they reside in a warren of tunnels beneath the super-cities. The sound heard at 3:31 is clearly the sound they make to communicate with one another!

Don't know if you saw my earlier post but that sound is actually Jimi's pick slide from the start of 1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be). Odd coincidence if you didn't know that because the lyrics kind of fit your description of some next evolutionary step (except of course, he goes to live in the sea, Jimi really liked the sea for some reason).

Hurrah i awake from yesterday

alive but the war is here to stay

so my love catherina and me

decide to take our last walk

through the noise to the sea

not to die but to be re-born

away from a life so battered and torn....

forever...

oh say can you see its really such a mess

every inch of earth is a fighting nest

giant pencil and lip-stick tube shaped things

continue to rain and cause screaming pain

and the arctic stains

from silver blue to bloody red

as our feet find the sand

and the sea is strait ahead..

strait ahead.....

well its too bad

that our friends

cant be with us today

well thats too bad

"the machine

that we built

would never save us"

thats what they say

(thats why they aint coming with us today)

and they also said

"its impossible for man

to live and breath underwater..

forever" was their main complaint

(yeah)

and they also threw this in my face:

they said

anyway

you know good well

it would be beyond the will of God

and the grace of the King

(grace of the King yeah yeah)

so my darling and I

make love in the sand

to salute the last moment

ever on dry land

our machine has done its work

played its part well

without a scratch on our bodies

and we bid it farewell

starfish and giant foams

greet us with a smile

before our heads go under

we take a last look

at the killing noise

of the out of style...

the out of style, out of style

Don't know if you saw my earlier post but that sound is actually Jimi's pick slide from the start of 1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be). Odd coincidence if you didn't know that because the lyrics kind of fit your description of some next evolutionary step (except of course, he goes to live in the sea, Jimi really liked the sea for some reason).

Hurrah i awake from yesterday

alive but the war is here to stay

so my love catherina and me

decide to take our last walk

through the noise to the sea

not to die but to be re-born

away from a life so battered and torn....

forever...

oh say can you see its really such a mess

every inch of earth is a fighting nest

giant pencil and lip-stick tube shaped things

continue to rain and cause screaming pain

and the arctic stains

from silver blue to bloody red

as our feet find the sand

and the sea is strait ahead..

strait ahead.....

well its too bad

that our friends

cant be with us today

well thats too bad

"the machine

that we built

would never save us"

thats what they say

(thats why they aint coming with us today)

and they also said

"its impossible for man

to live and breath underwater..

forever" was their main complaint

(yeah)

and they also threw this in my face:

they said

anyway

you know good well

it would be beyond the will of God

and the grace of the King

(grace of the King yeah yeah)

so my darling and I

make love in the sand

to salute the last moment

ever on dry land

our machine has done its work

played its part well

without a scratch on our bodies

and we bid it farewell

starfish and giant foams

greet us with a smile

before our heads go under

we take a last look

at the killing noise

of the out of style...

the out of style, out of style

No I totally didn't see that earlier! That is cool!

Archived