IGNORED

The Caustic Window LP (CAT023) Kickstarter FAQ - LIVE NOW!

Joyrex

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who didn't pay for a copy of the CW release? I'm honestly just quite worried I won't care much for the material (though I love the Polygon Window/SAW V1 era RDJ) and that the quality might be close to shit. Not that I'm worried they won't rip the vinyl right, but I'm worried that the songs themselves are bad quality as far as production goes. There won't be any options to purchase the digital after it's released, correct?

Got the same feeling, though I'd bet on one or two minor offbeat gems on this record. Out of three songs that have surfaced, none do much for me. Muttley seems like a cool novelty throwback rave song, but something you'd move on from after listening to it two or three times. Reading Mike P's tracks descriptions did wet my appetite, but he is in many ways a hype-man and not to be trusted seriously. Aphex wasn't very strong with song structure in his early years, and I doubt anything on the CW LP has a level of originality and sophistication that would be worthy of our collective attention if it weren't for the absence of new released works from Richard. Hope I'm way off-track for those eagerly waiting their download vouchers.

Fuckin' A.Totally agree.with above. Lets hope those socalled surprises is music post 1994

Am I the only one who didn't pay for a copy of the CW release? I'm honestly just quite worried I won't care much for the material (though I love the Polygon Window/SAW V1 era RDJ) and that the quality might be close to shit. Not that I'm worried they won't rip the vinyl right, but I'm worried that the songs themselves are bad quality as far as production goes. There won't be any options to purchase the digital after it's released, correct?

Got the same feeling, though I'd bet on one or two minor offbeat gems on this record. Out of three songs that have surfaced, none do much for me. Muttley seems like a cool novelty throwback rave song, but something you'd move on from after listening to it two or three times. Reading Mike P's tracks descriptions did wet my appetite, but he is in many ways a hype-man and not to be trusted seriously. Aphex wasn't very strong with song structure in his early years, and I doubt anything on the CW LP has a level of originality and sophistication that would be worthy of our collective attention if it weren't for the absence of new released works from Richard. Hope I'm way off-track for those eagerly waiting their download vouchers.

I see your point. I think it's an album for those of us who've been there since the 90's. Back then, what Aphex was doing, despite his lack of "song structure" as you say, went beyond what a song was supposed to be. More than original, it was revolutionary. It's impossible to see it that way in 2014. So I guess it's a very nostalgic pleasure we'll be getting from this unreleased album. A trip back in time. If you're not that excited, well, it's not an album for you! No big deal.

i much prefer the early years. with a few exceptions

its the little mistakes and rawness combined with the sheer amazingness

of those tunes are just so great so this CW is like gold dust.

also pity that q-chastic is a no-show.

the one track i heard is proper nice

Edited by Guest

thug-life.gif

thug-life.gif

The Glasgow set from the Untilted tour!

Kickstart that mofo!

There is a soundboard from Untilted already. That's what created the Quaristice enforcement policies. It's obviously not lossless or anything but it proved Sean and Rob's point that what's written for the live format doesn't translate well for the home. The Untilted soundboard is great fun but it's tinny and anemic compared to even the worst room bootleg. They are so fucking future that they wrote music whose final mastering depended not on a DSP suite or hardware but on the room itself

Ok, make it a digital release with a shoebox sized replica of the venue so you could rebuild/simulate the original conditions.

I see your point. I think it's an album for those of us who've been there since the 90's. Back then, what Aphex was doing, despite his lack of "song structure" as you say, went beyond what a song was supposed to be. More than original, it was revolutionary. It's impossible to see it that way in 2014. So I guess it's a very nostalgic pleasure we'll be getting from this unreleased album. A trip back in time. If you're not that excited, well, it's not an album for you! No big deal.
Iunno man, I'm much younger than "the crew" but I love this stuff.

Ok, make it a digital release with a shoebox sized replica of the venue so you could rebuild/simulate the original conditions.

Ah come on, it would be easy enough for them to do a 'live set' at home and record it straight outta the desk, and master it if they needed. Make a kickstarter.

Edited by fenton

I got into Aphex back with Come to Daddy, but had heard a little bit before then. I've got plenty of years invested in enjoying his music, I just don't worship him.

Which leads me back to not spending $16 on a record (nay, a digital copy) that I've only heard a few (imo mostly weak) outtakes from. I hope the record is mind-blowing. But I'm not a fanboy for RDJ to the point of dropping that sort of money based on what little I've heard. Now if this had been for a lost Autechre album, I doubt I would've blinked to whip out my credit card and wang...

I got into Aphex back with Come to Daddy, but had heard a little bit before then. I've got plenty of years invested in enjoying his music, I just don't worship him.

Which leads me back to not spending $16 on a record (nay, a digital copy) that I've only heard a few (imo mostly weak) outtakes from. I hope the record is mind-blowing. But I'm not a fanboy for RDJ to the point of dropping that sort of money based on what little I've heard. Now if this had been for a lost Autechre album, I doubt I would've blinked to whip out my credit card and wang...

LOL. Unless you're homeless or unemployed then $16 ain't a poop in the woods. It's RDJ for fuck's sake…even if just one track hits the spot it'll be worth it.

:music:

Guest Xtal WAVsurfer

If this drops today, I get to have CAT 023 birthday sex. My party hat is ready, Richard.

Guest Papillon

LOL. Unless you're homeless or unemployed then $16 ain't a poop in the woods. It's RDJ for fuck's sakeeven if just one track hits the spot it'll be worth it.

:music:

Yep. Aphex Twin is special. He is the best there is in modern music. I don't think he is capable of making a sub-standard album. Too many good songs to recall basically.

Keep in mind too for the older WATMM users like me- some of us have been listening to Aphex since the beginning, so we're extremely biased. Aphex Twin music has been a significant part of my life, so I'll support him and his music for as long he's willing to release new music.

Guest beringelab

:watmm:

"Also watch for other exciting announcements - more to come!"

Please clarify the meaning of that there sentence.

"Also watch for other exciting announcements - more to come!"

Please clarify the meaning of that there sentence.

:trap::trap::trap:

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つGIVE NEW APHEX 2014 ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

I'm actually kinda looking forward to some shitty tracks, tbh. I quite like the old Caustic Window/AFX style of just muting and un-muting parts without any real structure changes, recorded live to shitty cassette tape.

Some people actually think that 16$ is a lot of money for an unreleased AXF album with potential bonus stuff? I don't get it. 16$ is two or three visits to a Starbucks. It's 5 metro tickets in Montreal. Come on you slags!

Guest Retrig

I'm actually kinda looking forward to some shitty tracks, tbh. I quite like the old Caustic Window/AFX style of just muting and un-muting parts without any real structure changes, recorded live to shitty cassette tape.

Honestly and sincerely, this.

"That kind of money" lol

It's not a lot of money, but you are buying it blindly, or deafly if that makes sense, and it was the *only* way to buy it (although I understand this release model is just the results of unplanned circumstances by all parties).

My sorry =(

I don't know what peanuts is.

charlie-brown-facepalm-oUfBmt.jpg

Good grief.

But yeah really StephenG, go look up some. It's classic Americana. There's probably a knock-off Canadian version called Little Maples or something, but go with the real thing. :emotawesomepm9:

If I were you, I'd just buy one and grow to love it, like legally adopting a juvenile delinquent.

SAW2 has been on repeat today. Who knows, there's perhaps at least one ambient track on CWLP. Again, imagine the amount of ambient stuff he's been composing since then. The funniest part is that Aphex is completely unknown to most of the ambient/noise/experimental scenes, where he should be considered one of the pioneers with SAW2.

SAW2 has been on repeat today. Who knows, there's perhaps at least one ambient track on CWLP. Again, imagine the amount of ambient stuff he's been composing since then. The funniest part is that Aphex is completely unknown to most of the ambient/noise/experimental scenes, where he should be considered one of the pioneers with SAW2.

I think SAW2 is good, but I don't think it's accurate to say he's a pioneer in ambient music compared to Eno or Pete Namlook. Even then, I'm hesitant to even mention them since I'm not an ambient head. It's probably fair to say that Aphex is more popular than Namlook, but Namlook has a huge discography of all kinds of ambient music. Even Eno has more ambient albums released if we're using the strict definition of ambient.

Sorry for slowing the momentum here. :blush::aphexsign:

Anyway, I think it's fair to say that I'm really fucking excited that we're days away from hearing CAT023!