IGNORED

The Caustic Window LP (CAT023) Kickstarter FAQ - LIVE NOW!

Joyrex

SAW2 has been on repeat today. Who knows, there's perhaps at least one ambient track on CWLP. Again, imagine the amount of ambient stuff he's been composing since then. The funniest part is that Aphex is completely unknown to most of the ambient/noise/experimental scenes, where he should be considered one of the pioneers with SAW2.

I think SAW2 is good, but I don't think it's accurate to say he's a pioneer in ambient music compared to Eno or Pete Namlook. Even then, I'm hesitant to even mention them since I'm not an ambient head. It's probably fair to say that Aphex is more popular than Namlook, but Namlook has a huge discography of all kinds of ambient music. Even Eno has more ambient albums released if we're using the strict definition of ambient.

Sorry for slowing the momentum here. :blush::aphexsign:

Anyway, I think it's fair to say that I'm really fucking excited that we're days away from hearing CAT023!

Well, in my opinion, SAW2 goes further than these artists. Eno and Namlook made ambient music for the 70's and the 80's. But contemporary ambient/noise has nothing to do with the 70's and 80's. On the other hand, what Aphex was doing is closer to what a label like Touch has been promoting for the last decade. Aphex has said numerous times that he loves noise music, such as Merzbow et all. I wouldn't be surprised if his ambient/experimental compositions have integrated noise. Gwely Mernans on Drukqs examplifies that his approach to ambient has evolved quite a lot over the years.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm just being pedantic and arguing over the definition of 'pioneer'. Merzbow is considered a pioneer in noise music as Eno is considered a pioneer of ambient music. They started a way of creating music which flowered into a style distinct enough to get its own definition. Whether that's historically or categorically accurate, I don't know, I'm not a musicologist.

Anyway, I think it's fair to say that I'm really fucking excited that we're days away from hearing CAT023!

Days away! 'sigh' i was hoping for news of being minutes away today :(

Days away! 'sigh' i was hoping for news of being minutes away today :(

Could be minutes, hours, days, even seconds. His name isn't Joyrex, you know.

there's this idea that richard decided not to release it because it wasn't good enough, but what if he decided to withhold it just for the fuck of it? seems like a very richard thing to do. time capsule album. what if it's insane? some great unidentified tracks from rome 02 sound exactly like unreleased cw.

I don't think they would have done a white label pressing if he didn't want to release it.

Rephlex did however release a lot of AFX records in 1993/4/5

and Aphex got signed to Warp around this time i think

Edited by miim

I don't think they would have done a white label pressing if he didn't want to release it.

Yeah, just like with AB5 - on the AB4 promosheet it even says AB4 is a single to promote the forthcoming AB5 album, so it was called off pretty late in the process with both I guess.

there's this idea that richard decided not to release it because it wasn't good enough

Are you talking about AB5 or the Caustic Window LP? That's supposedly the reason for AB5, but the Caustic Window LP was scrapped because they (Rephlex) decided they wanted to release more records by artists other than RDJ (or so I've heard).

there's this idea that richard decided not to release it because it wasn't good enough

Are you talking about AB5 or the Caustic Window LP? That's supposedly the reason for AB5, but the Caustic Window LP was scrapped because they (Rephlex) decided they wanted to release more records by artists other than RDJ (or so I've heard).

cw lp. detractors have called it a "reject album" and whatnot, but a time capsule album seems brilliant and fitting for the circumstances, and it jives with what you said

Bet Joyrex is sat at home listening to this right now.

LOL, how could I? The digital files aren't back from the studio - yet.

Trust me, when I hear it at long last, I WILL TELL EVERYONE HOW AWESOME IT IS.

*Goes back listening to... something*

Bet Joyrex is sat at home listening to this right now.

LOL, how could I? The digital files aren't back from the studio - yet.

Trust me, when I hear it at long last, I WILL TELL EVERYONE HOW AWESOME IT IS.

*Goes back listening to... something*

Oh you bastard, Joyrex. Stop teasing!! Or .. continue. I don't mind really. We'll have "something" in a few days I presume. :music:

I don't actually mind either way. I'm not that much of an afex fanboy but I 100% support this kick starter idea and I hope we can repeat it again for other artists and ventures.

Edited by feltcher

right. I'm now listening to this to get me in the mood

Absolutely love that set, those unreleased tracks are so sick.

yeah is it Pto|emy or something at around 37:00 really nice remix too some of the others definitely sound possible caustic window style

Edited by Guest

2fb2cd0e86.png

Soon™

Joyrex, since you're probably going to have the files well in advance of everyone else, could you confirm here whether this track is actually on the album or not when you are able?

Edited by KyonPalm

2fb2cd0e86.png

Soon™

Joyrex, since you're probably going to have the files well in advance of everyone else, could you confirm here whether this track is actually on the album or not when you are able?

I don't think it is, because...ah nevermind.

:emotawesomepm9:

SAW2 has been on repeat today. Who knows, there's perhaps at least one ambient track on CWLP. Again, imagine the amount of ambient stuff he's been composing since then. The funniest part is that Aphex is completely unknown to most of the ambient/noise/experimental scenes, where he should be considered one of the pioneers with SAW2.

I think SAW2 is good, but I don't think it's accurate to say he's a pioneer in ambient music compared to Eno or Pete Namlook. Even then, I'm hesitant to even mention them since I'm not an ambient head. It's probably fair to say that Aphex is more popular than Namlook, but Namlook has a huge discography of all kinds of ambient music. Even Eno has more ambient albums released if we're using the strict definition of ambient.

Sorry for slowing the momentum here. :blush::aphexsign:

Well, in my opinion, SAW2 goes further than these artists. Eno and Namlook made ambient music for the 70's and the 80's. But contemporary ambient/noise has nothing to do with the 70's and 80's. On the other hand, what Aphex was doing is closer to what a label like Touch has been promoting for the last decade. Aphex has said numerous times that he loves noise music, such as Merzbow et all. I wouldn't be surprised if his ambient/experimental compositions have integrated noise. Gwely Mernans on Drukqs examplifies that his approach to ambient has evolved quite a lot over the years.

Just quoting these together for more condensed LOLs later.