IGNORED

is it true Go Plastic by Squarepusher featured no computer wizardry?

PhylumZunami

well considering that any kind of digital doohickey is a computer, if he used a digital sequencer, then no. its not the case.

Not all digital doohickeys are computers

the ones used to produce this album were

eh, the footage of "him" using reaktor and cooledit and stuff is obviously stock footage sliced in in this interview

he's stated a few times that go plastic was made using the qy700, fs1r, tx81z, s6000 and eventide orville+dsp4000. the eventides are pretty damn powerful, especially when you start to control various parameters over midi. it doesn't sound that impossible to me that he did it without a computer.

heh my connection went down last night. anyway, in that interview tom explains briefly his technical breakthroughs in each album.

like Go plastic is his first album using a computer and his own reaktor algorithms.but maybe he lied?

that interview was around the time hello everything came out,it was in that old page.

Edited by rekosn

there is a video someone found of Squarepusher using cooledit pro 2.0 during the era of Go Plastic, which is pretty much exactly what I predicted he used to do a lot of the hyper editing and effects on Go Plastic. A lot of people claim he did all the effects entirely on an Eventide effects processor, which could also be true but he'd still have to stitch them all together to get those quick editing sounds (like a long reverb tail on one snare being abruptly cut off), hence a DAW wave editor. The sequencing and composition could have been done on hardware I guess. .

eh, the footage of "him" using reaktor and cooledit and stuff is obviously stock footage sliced in in this interview

he's stated a few times that go plastic was made using the qy700, fs1r, tx81z, s6000 and eventide orville+dsp4000. the eventides are pretty damn powerful, especially when you start to control various parameters over midi. it doesn't sound that impossible to me that he did it without a computer.

Sweet, recalled this info vagely, glad someone else posted them

well considering that any kind of digital doohickey is a computer, if he used a digital sequencer, then no. its not the case.

Not all digital doohickeys are computers
err, wrong. digital implies computing or the digits would be useless. even a digital watch is a computer, I see what you're getting at though.

also what if tom was lying?

Digital only implies discrete values as opposed to the continuous ones of analog

You can make all sorts of digital circuits (doohickeys) that aren't computers and don't compute anything mathematically valuable

Pretty sure digital just refers to signal processing... "digital" circuitry is discrete values like zeff said... basically "on" or "off" (1 or 0) where analog is always on, it is a continuous flow of electricity.

https://www.bu.edu/wcp/Papers/Cogn/CognStuf.htm

And this guy on yahoo answers does a decent job of explaining it.... not sure what his credentials are though.

https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070628010436AABJT97

Edited by StephenG

If it performs logical operations based on discrete signal processing then it's computing, just sayin. Like how cars these days all have computers in them. But can they run coolwave pro? Maybe, I dunno, all I'm getting at is how badass it'd be if Tom made an album on a turing machine

after listening to that album over and over, the freedom it displays is pretty hard to do on a computer

considering what can be done with custom patches on those eventides+program changes, i think he just pushes gear to far beyond conventional means

I don't doubt that it can be done, but I really think he was using more PC during that time than people on here want to admit. It was released in 2001, right before Drukqs, which is more than likely all computer/laptop based compositions besides the piano pieces. ..

I have a hard time believing that being mates with Aphex and that lot that he was still low-teching it that hard.

I don't doubt that it can be done, but I really think he was using more PC during that time than people on here want to admit. It was released in 2001, right before Drukqs, which is more than likely all computer/laptop based compositions besides the piano pieces. ..

I have a hard time believing that being mates with Aphex and that lot that he was still low-teching it that hard.

yeah man and go plastic is compressed to hell and back. to me it sounds like his first real computer based album and when i noticed that he claims no computer was involved, i honestly felt like he was fucking with us. i still think he is!

"my fucking sound" for example. i mean come on... spliced tape for that track? YEAH RIGHT!

also, this thread is closing in on 500 views. glad i asked this question because it seems a lot of people were interested in it.

yeah man and go plastic is compressed to hell and back. to me it sounds like his first real computer based album and when i noticed that he claims no computer was involved, i honestly felt like he was fucking with us. i still think he is!

"my fucking sound" for example. i mean come on... spliced tape for that track? YEAH RIGHT!

also, this thread is closing in on 500 views. glad i asked this question because it seems a lot of people were interested in it.

Allllll wrong...

compressed as fuck? wtf ?

All you hairsplitters can have a beer and chill out. The use of "computer" in the quote obviously refers to "general purpose computer", ie a computer that can run off-the-shelf software and peripherals. Don't be daft.

To put the argument on its head, the analog low pass filter in your [insert vintage synthesizer] could be called a "computer" even, as RC-circuits perform integration and differentiation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC_circuit

Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_computer

Digital only implies discrete values as opposed to the continuous ones of analog

You can make all sorts of digital circuits (doohickeys) that aren't computers and don't compute anything mathematically valuable

name some digital gear that fits that description then

Allllll wrong...

compressed as fuck? wtf ?

Throw an amen loop into a sampler, toss on a compressor, take the threshold way down and toss the makeup pretty high and you'll see what I'm referring to. its that signature SP sound. not a diss btw. its a very distinct trait on his drums.

ooh that's a common piece of gear. you can go down to woolies and grab 5 for a buck

I'm sorry I didn't understand that the 5-for-a-buck-at-woolies qualifier was implied in your definition of "digital gear that doesn't perform useful computations".

Anyway, you could go to Radioshack and grab a bunch of CMOS chips for a few bucks - and then make one, like Zeffiola said originally.