IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

i've never listened to any of the metz, manchester or singapore tracks. ever. something about my ocd and them not being "official" (whatever that means) that I just don't care.

it will sound fresh to me!! I'm so excited.

You're in for a chartreuse auralgasmic injection dr.

All aboard the Chartruese Moose!

(Don't forget the jars of urine.)

Allow me to play devils advocate for a sec, I'm just curious as to why minipops was the only one labeled as "Manchester Track" on the Warp site.

You think if Metz or Singapore were on the release too, they might've been labelled as well. I don't know

Did you not see jasondonervan's amazing work earlier? You should catch up on the thread.

I'm completely caught up on the thread, why else would I pose my question? I tend to agree that maybe they have changed so much since those original shows that they shouldn't be identified as such

Just to further cement the logic of Manchester track being minipops, I was hit with a copyright ding dong from [Merlin] Warp Records for 20 seconds into the video. It's the kind that you can wave through and agree to and the video will stay up, but look at what it matched...

ih7yNw3dee0jo.jpg

:fear:

That is just fantastic, Jason!

Funny how the tracks' fingerprints, a mechanism for copyright management, in essence have helped to "leak" or "spoiler" the content of the album.

Immensely looking forward to hifi versions of Wobbly Chords and Metz. And even more looking forward to all the unheard material! Can barely wait.

I knew I could count on appropriate replies at Watmm :)

Thing is, so far Aphex has always changed with every release. If he is now - after 13 years of Aphex Twin hiatus - is coming with the same stuff he has released a few years ago, it's pretty lame to me. E.g. I wouldn't want another ICBYD today. I wanted it in 1995, yes and still love it, yes. But not having a follow-up of it.

there is a quote from thelonious monk, i'm paraphrasing here: who gives a fuck if the sound is new—is it good?

metz track is one of the most beautiful sounds i've ever heard. sorry, but if you're obsessing about innovation, and being this dejected/pouty before you've heard the album, you can fuck off.

honestly one of the best/most sensible things said on here ever, bravo

Seconded.

It's funny how they didn't even get it all right either. They've all been issued copyright claims, and all been performed live...

1. First off, Aphex Twin is really nice; he was polite, he laughed at bad jokes, and he called back when the line cut out.

2. The oldest track on Syro was recorded six or seven years ago, but there are a lot of newer compositions on there, too. "I’d stockpiled up so much stuff and you can kind of have to draw a line under it somewhere," he said. "By banging something out it, it’s like the end of the chapter. It properly draws a line under it and allows you to move on."

3. He buys a shedload of new music everyday, mainly from the UK-based online music store Juno. "I buy ridiculous amounts of files," he told us. "I always go to that thing, 'Listen to the last eight weeks of whatever.' And it’s all those billions of genres, like Scouse house. There’s actually better music now than ever, that’s ever existed before in my life. It’s all kind of good listening stuff—stuff to play in the car—[but] not so much kicking stuff out there."

4. Music takes up all of his spare time, too: “I’m a serial killer for sounds,” he said with an audible Cheshire cat grin. “I collect sounds from other records so I have to know where they come from and how they’re made. I bought every old sampler in existence and bought all the sample libraries. Like a serial killer, basically. I’ve gone through all of the sounds and worked out where everyone got all their sounds from.”

5. And finally, he confirmed Syro wouldn't be a one-off—it's got him "kicked into gear" for a new period of output.

has this already been posted from fader?

http://www.thefader.com/2014/08/25/aphex-twin-syro-interview-excerpts

Allow me to play devils advocate for a sec, I'm just curious as to why minipops was the only one labeled as "Manchester Track" on the Warp site.

You think if Metz or Singapore were on the release too, they might've been labelled as well. I don't know

I think it's a case that out of all live Aphex tracks, the "Manchester" track gets cited the most frequently, hence WARP identifying it as such. Metz is probably second behind Manchester, and honestly I bet quite a few Aphex fans haven't a clue as to what the Singapore track is.

Did you not see jasondonervan's amazing work earlier? You should catch up on the thread.

I'm completely caught up on the thread, why else would I pose my question? I tend to agree that maybe they have changed so much since those original shows that they shouldn't be identified as such

Someone else noted that they might have been trying (ultimately in vain) to keep the others a secret: warp wanted us to know that at least one of those famous live tracks would be finally making it's studio debut, but they probably wanted us to speculate more about the others. But the youtube sound recognition nailed the Metz and Singapore as other tracks. It's not like youtube bungled it up and said that they're all the first track: youtube specified different "unknown" track numbers. I think that it's pretty safe to say that jasondonervan figured out a way to confirm that these are the tracks.

Fuckin' A, that's so great. I'm seriously excited about a new era of Aphex! Welcome back, man!

1. First off, Aphex Twin is really nice; he was polite, he laughed at bad jokes, and he called back when the line cut out.

2. The oldest track on Syro was recorded six or seven years ago, but there are a lot of newer compositions on there, too. "I’d stockpiled up so much stuff and you can kind of have to draw a line under it somewhere," he said. "By banging something out it, it’s like the end of the chapter. It properly draws a line under it and allows you to move on."

3. He buys a shedload of new music everyday, mainly from the UK-based online music store Juno. "I buy ridiculous amounts of files," he told us. "I always go to that thing, 'Listen to the last eight weeks of whatever.' And it’s all those billions of genres, like Scouse house. There’s actually better music now than ever, that’s ever existed before in my life. It’s all kind of good listening stuff—stuff to play in the car—[but] not so much kicking stuff out there."

4. Music takes up all of his spare time, too: “I’m a serial killer for sounds,” he said with an audible Cheshire cat grin. “I collect sounds from other records so I have to know where they come from and how they’re made. I bought every old sampler in existence and bought all the sample libraries. Like a serial killer, basically. I’ve gone through all of the sounds and worked out where everyone got all their sounds from.”

5. And finally, he confirmed Syro wouldn't be a one-off—it's got him "kicked into gear" for a new period of output.

Edited by apriorion

it amazes me that some people are annoyed these live tracks are on there because they have already heard them, even if the tracks havent changed much they are still going sound so much better in proper quality and all of them are as lush as fuck!

I'm not annoyed that these tracks are on the new release. I just don't want them to be the best tracks on it seeing as I've listened to them forever & thus will lack any major surprise. I wanted 100% surprise for purely selfish reasons. I would agree that the mixes are probably different to some degree & will undoubtedly sound a million times better. I'm hoping Joyrex's foreshadowing implies he's heard Syro somehow & the tracks we haven't heard are beyond the tracks already discussed. But, seeing as Rich has played those tracks in the past to an audience, I would venture to think those are the ones he feels are "best" & what is on the album may be less than.

In any case, we have 2 more albums to look forward to after Syro. :whistling:

Trust me, hearing these via shitty phonecam recording vs. hearing them on a proper soundsystem or a decent pair of headphones makes them sound like brand new stuff, not to mention the other tracks. It's amazing this stuff is 6-7 years old, but is groundbreaking and innovative as ever. You really have to admire Richard's dedication to his craft.

Fuckin' A, that's so great. I'm seriously excited about a new era of Aphex! Welcome back, man!

fckn awesome. thanks for sharing

Someone else noted that they might have been trying (ultimately in vain) to keep the others a secret: warp wanted us to know that at least one of those famous live tracks would be finally making it's studio debut, but they probably wanted us to speculate more about the others. But the youtube sound recognition nailed the Metz and Singapore as other tracks. It's not like youtube bungled it up and said that they're all the first track: youtube specified different "unknown" track numbers. I think that it's pretty safe to say that jasondonervan figured out a way to confirm that these are the tracks.

A weird sort of half-secret, considering they put the bpm in the original .onion link. People were calling 1, 2, and 10 for Manchester, Metz, and Singapore from the very beginning (and maybe also with 4 and ATP and I just missed it). The plan seems to have been for us to get our hopes up, then have them confirmed when the album dropped. Oh well, this new news thanks to jason comes at the perfect time to continue the fun.

JR, you've heard the choons already. Don't deny!

Now how would I have been able to do that?

Oh, you have your ways.....

subject: gimme syro

JR> gimme syro

RDJ> no fuck off

JR> NOW

RDJ> k :(

don't deny