IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Guest jasondonervan

One good thing to come out of it: I was actually oddly afraid I was gonna love it and get picked for the draw of the super expensive edition, and the idiot that I am would've bought it despite the fact I have absolutely no money. Me thinking it's 'not bad' (not terrible by any stretch of the imagination) has certainly made the decision much easier

Well if you do get inadvertently picked in the draw, don't forget your old pal JD, eh? eh?

Gil.gif

It's not a super aggressive album, but it's one hunnid % swag and charisma. It manages to cover the whole Aphex spectrum while updating and freshening it up as well. That's my take on it anyway.

To a lot of people this is a re-introduction to Aphex and he knocked it out of the park if you ask me. Fun and good tunes and when the album switched gears it gave me a nice rush.

To those that weren't really in to it, were you listening on headphones or speakers? I've noticed blasting it on speakers makes a huge difference over listening on headphones. I'm glad I listened to it on vinyl first time round, when I went to listen to it in my room with headphones on after, it definitely didn't feel nearly as good. I know this applies to a lot of music, but something like Drukqs is much better on headphones for me. Syro is very different.

Guest trananhhung

I don't know, maybe he is trying something that I just don't understand. But I don't think it is the case...most tracks haven't done anything to me. How can it be if some of them were made at the same time as Rushup edge and analords were released and which I love? I do like some moments, the Metz track is definitely amazing but it overall it sounds wrong and by-the-book. Some melodies make me cringe, some parts go along unnecessarily, I think there are some mistakes he wouldn't do before...and I cant remember any mind-blowing moment. The track order doesn't make any sense, some tracks shouldn't be in there. On druqks the order was weird but it actually made sense.

Hi Bibio

To those that weren't really in to it, were you listening on headphones or speakers? I've noticed blasting it on speakers makes a huge difference over listening on headphones. I'm glad I listened to it on vinyl first time round, when I went to listen to it in my room with headphones on after, it definitely didn't feel nearly as good. I know this applies to a lot of music, but something like Drukqs is much better on headphones for me. Syro is very different.

Maybe that's it - Live in a flat with thin(ish) walls and ceiling so headphones are the only way I can listen to music. Never really listen to anything super loud either as I need my hearing for work...

It sounds great to me with headphones. Might also depend on what headphones you use

AKG K701s ran though Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 audio interface, and the 24bit WAV version of the album. But the mixing/mastering quality of the quality is great, can't fault the production at all

I'd probably agree. Earlier I listened on monitors and it sounded great, bass was tight and everything had space. Just listened on headphones and it wasn't nearly as good. A little weird but it still sounds good either way.

I will say though, while I really enjoy this album a lot I find that it's a bit hap hazzard. Structure in many songs don't seem to have a purpose or go anywhere song wise. Synths and beats just meander and change, drop in/out etc, all cleverly done and engaging from a production angle. But no songs. That's not terribly important in this case as the element, bass, melodies, beats, editing are all top notch.

I like it.

Is this coming out on any online music stores besides bleep? Amazon mp3? Spotify? Would search the thread but I'm not sure I see a way how.

Apparently it's on Spotify, don't use it myself though ! What's wrong with bleep for digital purchases if you don't mind me asking ?

Guest Roksen Creek

It sounds great to me with headphones. Might also depend on what headphones you use

AKG K701s ran though Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 audio interface, and the 24bit WAV version of the album. But the mixing/mastering quality of the quality is great, can't fault the production at all

It might just not have clicked with you yet. I listen to all my stuff with headphones, and like similar stuff to you (judging by other threads), and I love it. Some of these tracks are dense and weird as hell.

Probably one of the best Japan-only bonus tracks I've ever heard.

http://youtu.be/SiVmqDB8I2U

Enjoy.

I'm not going to listen as I haven't heard the rest of the album yet but how the hell did you get this already? I haven't even had a dispatch email from Amazon jp yet

I'm jasondonervan. :emotawesomepm9:

who also happens to have a Japanese iTunes account, where I bought the track as a crappy 256 kbps .m4a to tide me over until I can FLAC the CD version

it's nearly 7:00 am in Japan. ill give them 2 hours, give or take the 15 minutes for their group calisthenics

i have 12 posts and I don't like the album imo

if you have below 100 posts, seriously get the fuck out of my face. It's like really? You want me to think your noob ass has a valid opinion? unbelievable

Post count makes your opinion more valid? Get the f**k out ma face. Just shows that you have less of a life.

Just kidding but, your attitude whiffed a bit.

Is this coming out on any online music stores besides bleep? Amazon mp3? Spotify? Would search the thread but I'm not sure I see a way how.

Apparently it's on Spotify, don't use it myself though ! What's wrong with bleep for digital purchases if you don't mind me asking ?

Nothing wrong. I have a spotify account already and use it on mobile, so it's essentially the same thing as owning for now. Amazon I get points, and I've never had any issues with their mp3 purchasing system.

very surprised at the negativity here. This is quite possibly the greatest electronic music album ever released in my opinion. Quite clearly the work of a genius to me. If you factor it down to individual elements - melody, percussion, mixing (as in mixing the sounds into space, not mixing tracks as in the dj'ing term), production, progression, timbre, ideas, range of different kinds of tunes, everything is completely next level. Everything he has made previously has lacked on one or more of these factors IMO (apart from maybe rushup edge)

i have 12 posts and I don't like the album imo

if you have below 100 posts, seriously get the fuck out of my face. It's like really? You want me to think your noob ass has a valid opinion? unbelievable

Post count makes your opinion more valid? Get the f**k out ma face. Just shows that you have less of a life.

Just kidding but, your attitude whiffed a bit.

I think John were taking the piss out of Limpy ...